News:

The monkeys are up to something...

Main Menu

Politics

Started by spitllama, September 05, 2012, 07:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Olimar12345

Quote from: Sebastian on May 19, 2016, 06:05:58 PMI don't follow.

I guess the text in that quote wasn't bold enough.

Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Pianist Da Sootopolis

IS THIS BOLD ENOUGH FOR YOU OLI/SEBASTIAN
what is shitpost

Dude

Quote from: Sebastian on May 19, 2016, 05:56:02 PMI would have to agree with this definition, but I don't know if I agree that racists are bigots. I'll explain below.
holy shit the definition literally says "one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance"

I can't believe people like this exist.

Waddle Bro

smh 5 min analysis of the convo let's go

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on May 19, 2016, 02:08:03 PMthat bill sounds incomplete to me.  In most cases, yes abortion is morally wrong, but in certain instances (read: rape) the woman may not feel comfortable with going through childbirth, and in the case of rape they didn't get a choice in the matter

EDIT: however if the woman got pregnant by fooling around that's no excuse for abortion either
"morally wrong" how? you can't define that. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open-question_argument
you have a habit of being ignorant with your views by selling your highly assailable opinion as how things are, which is a common flamebaiter trait. it also speaks of not being capable of accepting other views or a rational conclusion if it's against your own.

birth control can fail

Quote from: Sebastian on May 19, 2016, 03:17:08 PMHaving a supercilious attitude is not becoming either, especially when I haven't given my opinion on the subject. Only Nocturne has.

I originally posted this article to spark some conversation on this interesting situation: Banning of abortion in a state. Surely in this day in age, you'd think that that wouldn't happen, which is why I thought of it as fascinating; however, it seems that you guys only want to chew over the morality of abortion itself.
Again, this is the politics thread, not the religion or the "this is what I think" thread.
although it was hasty for dude to refer to you as a "guy who wants the forum to burn"(since you only posted a link), you and noc still failed to give any rational input to the conversation, which makes it justified to call a conversation it a dumb one, since all that was said was ignorant opinions and non-factual statements.
political issues can be moral issues and moral issues can be political issues, and abortion definitely belongs to both of those categories. this topic is also a place to argue, as long as you're capable of doing it instead of posting unnecessary and blatant shit like "thats wrong" without anything to back you up.

Quote from: Sebastian on May 19, 2016, 03:33:18 PMYou make an excellent point, but it isn't fair to call someone out on their beliefs when they haven't shared them. That's like hating on someone because they have an opinion on a certain subject.
no one specifically targeted you personally or your unshared beliefs(literally proven by the fact that you didn't even share them). it was about the conversation in general and i already said how a conversation without reasonable input can be considered as dumb. also "hating on someone because they have an opinion on a certain subject", i fail to see the correlation, please provide reasoning if you can. not that it's necessary because no one called out your unshared beliefs.

Quote from: Sebastian on May 19, 2016, 04:26:08 PMThere is no such thing as a bigoted opinion. There are only bigoted people who can't tolerate others' opinion. Being against abortion is not a bigoted or hateful opinion. If anything, it's the opposite of that, but that is beside the point. My point is, calling other peoples' opinions "bigoted" is a very hypocritical statement.
Shall we review the definition:

'Bigot'
"A person who is intolerant toward those holding different opinions."
Again, there is no such thing as a bigoted opinion. It's very simple to understand. You are either for something or against something. Neither view is bigoted. Take abortion for example. Johnny is for abortion and Susie is against abortion. Which one is bigoted? Neither. Because it is an opinion.

'Opinion'
"A view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge."

I think the lesson we can learn here is to respect each others' opinions.
there's a difference between having a justified opinion(an opinion that can be true and have reasoning behind it) and a "bigoted opinion"(let's call it that since that's the term you used) that is based on nothing factual and is factually/logically wrong, a bigoted opinion tries to sell itself as reality which it isn't. being against abortion isn't a "bigoted opinion" because it can be justified, but so far i haven't seen anyone on this topic defending the abortion ban with valid reasoning.
a justified opinion 101: an opinion done in "good faith" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_faith
you can't be expected to respect an unjustified opinion or even an opinion that's literally wrong, like racism.

why's blueflower lurking and asking people to shitpost on his behalf lol
login literally takes 2 seconds

who uses google word definition when you have merriam-webster just below it x)
Quote from: Sebastian on May 19, 2016, 05:56:02 PMI don't know if I agree that racists are bigots. I'll explain below.
what is this lmao if you only you read the merriam-webster definition
Quote from: Sebastian on May 19, 2016, 05:56:02 PMI would have to agree with you here. Personally, I don't see prejudices against people based on skin color, sexual orientation, religion, etc. as bigotry. I see it more as just plain cruelty.....if I may be perfectly honest. If you're gonna hate on someone that has a different skin color, religion (lack thereof), etc. then you're just being cruel and/or rude. I wouldn't call it bigotry though; however, I do think that peoples' opinions should be respected.....as long as they aren't openly racist, discriminating, etc.
Again, I don't think I'd call them bigots. Just plain malicious and cruel.

The Ku Klux Klan was really just a stupid secret society advocating only white people. I don't know if I'd call this bigoted since they didn't go out saying "I don't agree with other white people who think black people are equal to us!!" But instead they openly and actively suppressed African-Americans. I wouldn't call this act bigotry, but cruelty.
you said you'd "explain below" but all i see is you repeating how you don't want to call racism as bigotry instead of cruelty, yet you fail to reason what makes them different :x
Quote from: Sebastian on May 19, 2016, 05:56:02 PMPersonally, I've always believed that bigots were just big talkers who were all talk and didn't act on their opinions and were intolerant toward others opinions.....even rude and prejudice. I wouldn't put the Nazis and KKK in that category, but rather in the category of cruelty and self-righteousness.

That's just my opinion and I respect anyone that doesn't agree with me :P
you're literally trying to justify justifying opinions with opinions
loool that sentence, but it's true though

Quote from: Dude on May 20, 2016, 01:28:09 AMholy shit the definition literally says "one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance"

I can't believe people like this exist.
not cool to be condescending towards him dude(with "people like this"), he just hasn't understood the concept correctly. we shouldn't assume malice from him when lack of knowledge will suffice.

edit that took 30 :[

Sebastian

Quote from: Waddle Bro on May 20, 2016, 05:59:38 AMnot cool to be condescending towards him dude(with "people like this"), he just hasn't understood the concept correctly. we shouldn't assume malice from him when lack of knowledge will suffice.
Honestly, this is the most condescending thing I think I've ever read.

Olimar12345

It's like you just ignored the entirety of that post.

Waddle ily
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Sebastian

To be honest, there isn't really any reason for me to argue it.

Quote from: Waddle Bro on May 20, 2016, 05:59:38 AMwho uses google word definition when you have merriam-webster just below it x)what is this lmao if you only you read the merriam-webster definitionyou said you'd "explain below" but all i see is you repeating how you don't want to call racism as bigotry instead of cruelty, yet you fail to reason what makes them different :xyou're literally trying to justify justifying opinions with opinions
loool that sentence, but it's true though
Yes, it is my opinion. I did say at the end of that paragraph that it is my opinion, so yes. I did justify opinions with opinions...as you say.

Dude

Sorry waddle, when someone is stupid I can't help but be condescending...

I mean in general, not just MLF.

Sebastian

Quote from: Dude on May 20, 2016, 06:47:31 AMSorry waddle, when someone is stupid I can't help but be condescending...

I mean in general, not just MLF.
Gee, thanks.

Dude

I mean, everyone has moments when they're dumb, some just have them more than others.

Wait that didn't help

See this is a time I'm being dumb!

Also I don't know why you reported that post as all I was saying was if someone is stupid I'll be condescending towards them...

Olimar12345

E. Gadd Industries

"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

SlowPokemon

I skipped the last three pages and just read this one and I don't regret it
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

mikey

If you read the last3 pages you might not regret that
Also what's so unacceptable about calling abortion morally wrong, hmm
unmotivated

Altissimo

waddle i love you so much ugh