News:

Debate topic for next Tuesday: Are cannons truly valid instruments for an orchestra? Or should they be replaced with something safer, like Tesla coils?

Main Menu

Politics

Started by spitllama, September 05, 2012, 07:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dude

I mean it was Seb when he didn't know any better so not much of a surprise

Tobbeh99

Quote from: Maelstrom on December 05, 2017, 11:36:47 AMI'm glad to see this thread has always been the home of intelligent discussion.
Agrees.

Also something that I've also been thinking of lately is the concept of nature vs nurture/society. I've been getting the feel lately that a lot of people have tried to argue that as much as possible is a so called "social construct", aka. society has created it, it's not natural. And I think that it has been gone too far. And that there has been less talk about what is natural or "hard-wired". I got the feel that a lot of phenomenon probably has something to do with nature, and is just as it is. And it seems to me that a lot of people who argues that everything is just "social constructs" argue like that with positivity trying to convince people that "Everything is our hands. We (humans) can do whatever we want", and trying to convince people that "society and it's norms are holding people back. Putting people in chains. And through realizing that everything are just social constructs, people can become free -and live a better and happier life". And I'd argue that that's a very naive way of thinking. And that you could as well make the argument that norms are good in making people disciplined and civilized. And that there's kind of a false vision of happiness thinking that people should break free and just live life, sort of like the hippies in the 60s, 70s and 80s.  I personally feel that society should have norms, to be a well functioning society. And I think that people should also make clear about the nature part of humanity and not only think that everything are just "social constructs". I think that if you study different civilizations, you'll see various patterns between them. Pretty much proving that there's a "red line" within humanity, that there were people who worked in various industries, did politics, play music in the ancient roman times, and there are people doing the same thing nowadays. And you can see various similarities and differences. Explaining the concept of nature and society. I think that a lot of things that are considered "traditional" or "conservative" are the phenomenons that are most "attacked" by the idea that there are just "social constructs". Things like: religion, traditional gender roles, cultural traditions, concept of nation states etc.

It came to my mind when I thought about how many people are talking about the "inequality" of there being more men than women at higher posts in society (like CEO's and "Wall Street people", politicians etc.). And I've always been pro gender equality. But I do think that one reason that there being less women at higher posts has to do with that I think that men are somewhat more competitive. Throughout my life, I've been getting the feel that men are more likely to "take the first step", and maybe also are more competitive. So I think that that's a reason to it also, and I don't think it's "this evil patriarchy that has... been existing since like... the beginning of time? stone age? who knows?". But I also want to stress that I think there are advantages with there being somewhat gender equal. I think that there's a risk when there are only men that they get to cocky and just kind of dumb everyone down, like some stupid "last man standing game". So I think that it adds value that both genders are represented. I think that creates a better well functioning society, and you can also see that a lot of great societies have been having that sort of structure. Like that both men and women work and also take more fiscal responsibility, creating a good "family-like society". And I think that there are advantages if both gender also are involved in the leadership of a society.

So y, I think that people should try to both get the nature and the society part when arguing different phenomenons in society.   
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

Dudeman

Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Tobbeh99

Found this good interview with Joe Biden. I like how he's very clear about politics and how he sees the US and the world. And also how he emphasizes the "moral values" or "the soul", but also seem to be somewhat optimistic in the interview. Which I think is good for the future.

tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

Altissimo

Tobbeh you are single-handedly lowering the overall intelligence level in this thread which is honestly quite impressive so I'm not sure why you think Maelstrom's comment is somehow appropriate

Ever heard of Dunning-Kruger?

Dude

Can someone tl;dr; that or is it not worth the time?

Maelstrom

Tobbeh interpreted my sarcastic comment about this thread always being stupid as him adding to the intelligence.

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: Maelstrom on December 05, 2017, 04:14:03 PMTobbeh interpreted my sarcastic comment about this thread always being stupid as him adding to the intelligence.
I think he was just generally agreeing to your comment.

To be honest, I feel like three-quarters of the time, people are either completely misinterpreting what Tobbeh says, or otherwise making something out of nothing. In other words, it's become so instinctual to "hate" Tobbeh that it doesn't actually matter what Tobbeh says: people will just disparage him either way anytime he makes a long(-er) post.
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

MaestroUGC

Quite honestly I don't know why people bother to read his posts. They're all incredibly self-centered and incoherent. I know you've mentioned this before, elsewhere some time ago, but Tobbeh you should really take all of these scattered post about...whatever it is you're trying to talk about and just start a blog. It's fairly clear you're just wanting to hear yourself talk considering barely anyone responds to you and you seem to just rush to talk about something else.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

Olimar12345

Tobbeh: if you needed help setting up a blog, I would help you.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Dude

Quote from: Maelstrom on December 05, 2017, 04:14:03 PMTobbeh interpreted my sarcastic comment about this thread always being stupid as him adding to the intelligence.
I meant the utter shit after that

Something about nature or something?

Tobbeh99

Y I thought he was serious. But later thought that he might been sarcastic.

Quote from: MaestroUGC on December 05, 2017, 05:07:19 PMQuite honestly I don't know why people bother to read his posts. They're all incredibly self-centered and incoherent. I know you've mentioned this before, elsewhere some time ago, but Tobbeh you should really take all of these scattered post about...whatever it is you're trying to talk about and just start a blog. It's fairly clear you're just wanting to hear yourself talk considering barely anyone responds to you and you seem to just rush to talk about something else.
Quote from: Olimar12345 on December 05, 2017, 05:19:42 PMTobbeh: if you needed help setting up a blog, I would help you.
Y, you guys might be right. I like to express my opinions, which I feel are important. But you guys have made it clear that you're not that interested in them, even though I think I reason pretty well, and put thought into my opinions/ideas. So y, I might start a blog. Or if not, try to chill down. And maybe then focus more on music, and maybe games. Even though this is a social forum as well, I've got the impression that people don't seem to appreciate all of my talk.

10/10 tobbeh

Altissimo

There's a difference between talking to people and talking at them.

Sebastian

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on December 06, 2017, 03:21:27 AMAnd maybe then focus more on music, and maybe games. Even though this is a social forum as well
Focusing on music (which is the main reason for NSM) is a wonderful idea.

PlayfulPiano

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on December 05, 2017, 01:00:44 PMAgrees.
:snip:

You... you do understand that was sarcasm, right?