News:

All Hail President Bowser!

Main Menu

Politics

Started by spitllama, September 05, 2012, 07:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Altissimo

PlayfulPiano

Still can't believe that a democrat won Alabama.

Freaking Alabama.

Tobbeh99

Gratz. Having hard time believing that someone like Moore could even run for it. I remembered that people were making the "stupid USA jokes" at Bush's time when Schwarzenegger was governor of California. And Moore is levels above that (or below, however you want to see it). Really don't think there's any need for more crazy politicians after Trump (and Bannon) just flipped everything upside down. Btw wasn't he charged for some sexual assault or something? wtf!? ...
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

PlayfulPiano

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on December 13, 2017, 03:45:06 AMGratz. Having hard time believing that someone like Moore could even run for it. I remembered that people were making the "stupid USA jokes" at Bush's time when Schwarzenegger was governor of California. And Moore is levels above that (or below, however you want to see it). Really don't think there's any need for more crazy politicians after Trump (and Bannon) just flipped everything upside down. Btw wasn't he charged for some sexual assault or something? wtf!? ...
No, our president was accused of sexual assault and rape.

Moore was accused of pedophilia.

E. Gadd Industries

Net Neutrality vote tomorrow... get your signatures ready to sign a petition just in case we need it >~<
"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

PlayfulPiano

More like get ready to protest.

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Quote from: Altissimo on December 12, 2017, 08:15:35 PMFUCK YEAH ALABAMA

okay this but let's also remember that a *pedophile* was nearly elected office. More people actually wrote in candidates than made the difference between Jones and Moore.
what is shitpost

Altissimo

you dont get it lmao
listen
i'm from the south
my dad's from mississippi

the fact that a dem won at all is astounding. the difference doesn't matter. it was never going to be a landslide victory. sure you might be disappointed at how "close" it was but you also don't know this environment.

E. Gadd Industries

Can agree 100% there. The fact that a dem won a Southern stronghold for the GOP is astounding and I  N E V E R thought I would see that day come
"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Quote from: Altissimo on December 13, 2017, 01:29:17 PMyou dont get it lmao
listen
i'm from the south
my dad's from mississippi

the fact that a dem won at all is astounding. the difference doesn't matter. it was never going to be a landslide victory. sure you might be disappointed at how "close" it was but you also don't know this environment.

The difference does matter, because it's important for Democrats to see their strategy(ies) moving forward.

Jones didn't win because he was a stalwart individual, again this is where the margin is important. The accusations against Moore were hammered for weeks and weeks as more and more evidence came out, and yet this is the result?

Also worth noting that Jones isn't really going to hold this; more likely is him losing in the next election season. He didn't win over the people of Alabama, enough people were just turned off of Roy Moore (again bc pedophilia, but EVEN THEN only 1.5%) to not vote for him.
what is shitpost

Dude

It's funny because you can practically hear the wheels turning in his brain

Zunawe

~
You know you've been playing too much Dragon Quest when you're afraid your Hershey's Kisses are going to flee.

I program things

Tobbeh99

Quote from: Zunawe on December 13, 2017, 10:47:47 PMThis is perhaps a dangerous thing to correct, but Moore was accused of sexual assault and molestation. Pedophilia isn't illegal; acting on it is.

And @pds, the outcome isn't important because the dems got one over on the republicans, it's important because it's a win for morality and ethics over party disagreements. If a state as red as Alabama can vote in a Democrat to keep the government free of criminals (especially sexual predators), that's significant. Nobody is expecting Alabama to go blue any time soon.
Agrees with you about moral and ethics.

And y, some states seem to be very dominantly historically red/blue (having the "rust-belt" being historic "blue states"). We have the same here in Sweden, where the Liberal-conservatives tend to score well around the bigger cities, and the social-democrats score well in the countryside. 
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

Altissimo

Quote from: Pianist Da Sootopolis on December 13, 2017, 08:38:00 PMThe difference does matter, because it's important for Democrats to see their strategy(ies) moving forward.

Jones didn't win because he was a stalwart individual, again this is where the margin is important. The accusations against Moore were hammered for weeks and weeks as more and more evidence came out, and yet this is the result?

Also worth noting that Jones isn't really going to hold this; more likely is him losing in the next election season. He didn't win over the people of Alabama, enough people were just turned off of Roy Moore (again bc pedophilia, but EVEN THEN only 1.5%) to not vote for him.

Doug Jones is openly, unabashedly pro-choice. To some people, being a man who has possibly touched little girls is less of an issue than being a man who DEFINITELY wants to murder babies. You and I both know that's not what abortion is, but try telling that to the people of Alabama. We've had that fight often enough on NSM for you to know the outcome.
People have different morals. Is it gross and horrible? Of course - it's privileging the lives of unborn fetuses which lack the capacity of independent thought over the lives of real, actual humans that were forever negatively affected by Roy Moore's actions. But not everyone shares our morals and understands the difference. To some people, the choice may as well have been between a murderer (the actual state of victims be damned) or a sexual predator. Which is worse? I don't even know how to answer that myself. And some people will definitely say "the murderer because at least the victims of a sexual predator are still alive".

I'm not saying that Doug Jones being pro-choice is the biggest reason Alabama didn't vote him in by a wider margin. But he did refuse to compromise on that. He went to one of the most anti-abortion states in the country, said "I am pro-choice", and got elected in spite of that. Sure, it was only because of the perfect storm of bad decisions by the Republicans and the allegations against Roy Moore that he got anywhere at all. But you could probably have videotapes of Roy Moore molesting a child and some people would STILL rather vote him in than - gasp - a Democrat.

I know you want to believe better of people than this. I know you're disappointed that the margin was so small, that it should have been a landslide victory for Jones because who the fuck would vote Moore into office, but you have to remember that not everyone shares your morals, and that sucks but that's how it is.

I repeat, as someone with a significant Southern history: The fact that ENOUGH people out of the state of Alabama shares your morals to tip the scales is astounding. The margin was tiny, sure, but this was a state where Trump won something like 70% of the vote to Hillary's 30%. You are expecting too much if you think the state will resoundingly reject Roy Moore. Maybe if the entire state were made up of people like you, but there's a reason it isn't, and there's a reason it's a red state, and there's a reason there are so many negative stereotypes about the South. What they did is amazing regardless of how long Jones will hold office and regardless of the margin.

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Quote from: Zunawe on December 13, 2017, 10:47:47 PMThis is perhaps a dangerous thing to correct, but Moore was accused of sexual assault and molestation. Pedophilia isn't illegal; acting on it is.

And @pds, the outcome isn't important because the dems got one over on the republicans, it's important because it's a win for morality and ethics over party disagreements. If a state as red as Alabama can vote in a Democrat to keep the government free of criminals (especially sexual predators), that's significant. Nobody is expecting Alabama to go blue any time soon.

It's not a win of morality and ethics.
Before Moore had the allegations, he still thought that all amendments after 10 (including the no slavery and women's rights amendments) should be abolished, blames school shootings on evolution, got kicked off the bench for refusing to take down 10 commandments statues in a courtroom, etc. The allegations are really what did him in.

Hate to be THAT guy, but this tweet is relevant: https://twitter.com/classiclib3ral/status/940906377035345920
what is shitpost