News:

Up-to-date news?! Preposterous!

Main Menu

Politics

Started by spitllama, September 05, 2012, 07:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrainyLucario

Quote from: LeviR.star on January 23, 2018, 08:18:52 AMAnd we should be grateful that it is so
He's right, you know
When given the choice between adulting and music, choose music every time.

PlayfulPiano

Seriously, what happened w/tobbeh?

LeviR.star

Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

blueflower999

Bulbear! Blueflower999

Dude

E. Gadd Industries

"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

Sebastian

Might be best to move the topic here.
Quote from: swimswamit on February 22, 2018, 03:03:34 PMyeah but then everyone goes around saying "yeah it's nice to have thoughts and prayers but we need action" on twitter and then they don't actually do anything, tomato tomatoe
So, I assume by "action" you mean more laws? Personally, I believe laws only take guns away from the good guys. I can't think of a murderer that would legally buy a gun and go through the rigamarole of obtaining a gun legally. The bad guys will always have guns. Heck, I've seen reports of robberies where they had automatic weapons which are already illegal.

Dude

Honestly the NRA sounds like 3yo children who are about to lose their favorite toy that was recalled for being dangerous.

Sebastian

Well, lol, you have a point.
I've always viewed rifles as an animal hunting tool and handguns as a defensive tool.

mikey

I saw an image going around that broke down US deaths in 2016
gun deaths were quite low
of course this image factored in abortion as death so it's already biased but like the numbers seem accurate
unmotivated

Trainer Ave

Depends on what time during the pregnancy the fetus is aborted. I would count it as a death anytime a fetus is aborted after the heart begins beating. It's definitely alive at that point.
Of course with the whole guns thing I pretty well agree with Seb. Banning guns is not going to stop criminals it's only going to prevent people from being able to protect themselves.
YouTube Channel
Like hunting shinies?
Join my Discord server

PlayfulPiano

Quote from: mikey on February 22, 2018, 04:08:53 PMI saw an image going around that broke down US deaths in 2016
gun deaths were quite low
of course this image factored in abortion as death so it's already biased but like the numbers seem accurate
I mean, if the source is factoring in abortions as death, it's probably pretty right-leaning, which is generally pro-gun. Wouldn't be that surprising if it changed the actual statistics.

Personally, these are the changes I would want to see in regards to the gun debate:

• Absolutely get rid of all AR-15′s and the like.
  • Intense background and criminal background checks and anything violent automatically disqualifies you.
  • Make getting a gun/gun permit more like getting a driver's license:
    • permit to learn
    • includes an exam with 18 or more questions on the policies, laws, and etc of guns and gun ownership
    • if you get more than 8 questions incorrect you must retake it.
  • 30 hours of practical experience at a gun range with a licensed teacher
  • Must take a 5 hour class on the dangers of guns and how to use them safely which will then yield you a certificate that grants you to take the practical exam and lasts for one year. If you don't gain the license within the allotted year you must retake the class.
  • A practical exam with a licensed instructor who will grade you on various skills. If you pass you may be granted a permit on the weapon of your choice, the exams may differ on the type of firearm you want.
  • Follow the Japanese model where you must have two gun safes in different areas of the house, one to store the gun and one to store the bullets and you must provide the police with information on where those safes are.
  • No concealed carry and only handguns may be allowed to be out in public.
  • If transporting a weapon, it must be in the trunk of the vehicle, in a bag or some other case, safety on and unloaded and may not leave the vehicle until you are at the destination.
  • If you're a hunter or some other gun hobbyist that requires a functional weapon other than a handgun then the gun must stay on the premises, whether that is a gun range or the Fish and Wildlife facility.
  • If you live in a rural area where police (and people, for that matter) are few and far between, something akin to a deer hunting rifle should provide plenty of protection from predators and poachers, you still have to follow the aforementioned steps.

Thoughts?

Dudeman

Quote from: PlayfulPiano on February 22, 2018, 04:56:33 PM
  • Follow the Japanese model where you must have two gun safes in different areas of the house, one to store the gun and one to store the bullets and you must provide the police with information on where those safes are.
Never knew about this before. I like it.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Dude

But why do we need to protect ourselves with firearms if the police exist?

If you want a gun, become a police officer. You don't need it if you aren't. (Not counting hunting I guess, idk)

Dudeman

I mean, police can't be everywhere all the time unless you want to drastically increase the size and presence of the police force.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book