News:

NinSheetMusic is 1264 years old!

Main Menu

Music Theory Q/A

Started by JDMEK5, September 12, 2012, 01:32:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaestroUGC

I recommend putting a link to IMSLP in the OP. It's a fantastic resource for all manners of sheet music and would do well for providing examples of the things we look at here.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

JDMEK5

"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

spitllama

Oh man I love IMSLP. I can't believe it's not illegal, with copyright and all that.
Submissions Page
Currently using Finale 2012

MaestroUGC

It's because most of the sheets on that site were either published before 1920 (for us here in the US, anyway) or their publishers have long since gone, sending the scores out of print without renewing the contracts. Since it's based in Canada (meaning that's where their servers are), their copyright laws work differently so they just need to monitor who's downloading what from where.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

JDMEK5

Everyone should know a thing or two about time signatures. Here I'll skim over a few common (and not-so-common) meters.

Simple Time

4/4 time (Common time) - Common time is another name for 4/4 time, which indicates that there are 4 (numerator) quater notes (denominator) per measure.
These days, common time is used most of the time. The biggest exception is in church music, in which case it is written out as 4/4.
(I don't believe it's mandatory, but I would do the same for requiems)
Sample Piece: (Bleh, we don't need a sample piece)
Common time is used the vast majority of the time, and falls into the category of "simple time".

3/4 time - Another common time signature, 3/4 is sometimes referred to as the "Waltz Beat". Every single waltz in the world and minuet for the most part is in 3/4 time.
Pulse: {Strong, Weak, Weak}*; with three quarter notes to a measure.
Sample Piece: Super Mario World - Underwater
3/4 time falls into the category of "compound time".

2/4 time - Usually a fast-paced meter, 2/4 indicates two quarter notes per measure. Usually a polka beat, or other such styles that are heavily syncopated.
To tell the difference between 4/4 and 2/4 is just a matter of listening. Either to how long each measure should be, or the pulse.
Sample Piece: Mario Kart Wii - Wario's Gold Mine
2/4 also falls into the category of "simple time".

2/2 time (Cut time) - Indicates 2 half notes to a measure. The pulse is the same as common time, but the counting is: 1-ee-and-a-2-ee-and-a. (That's how I was taught anyways)
Sample Piece: N/A
Cut time falls into "simple time".

Compound Time

3/8, 6/8, and 12/8 time - This would most likely be your jazz beats. 3/8 indicates 3 eighths to a measure, 6/8 indicates 6 eighth notes to a measure, etc.
Pulse goes similar to 3/4; {Strong, weak, weak}, (optional bar line) {medium, weak, weak}, (optional bar line) {medium-strong, weak, weak}, {medium, weak, weak}*.
Sample Piece: Super Mario 3D Land - Jazzy Overworld

9/8 time - 9/8 has 9 eighths to the measure, all broken down into sets of 3
Pulse for 9/8: Strong, weak, weak, medium, weak, weak, medium, weak, weak*.
Sample Piece: Pokémon R/S/E - Sootopolis City
9/8 isn't really all that common, but can be used in just about any style of music.

Hybrid Time

Hybrid times are weird. The pulse grouping may vary to certain degrees depending on the meter.

5/4 time - That's right. 5 quarter notes to a measure.         (Group o' 3)                (Group o' 2)
Pulse: One group of 3, and one group of 2. (example: {Strong, weak, weak}, {medium, weak}*) (Pulse groups could be switched. Becoming: {Strong, weak}, {medium, weak, weak})
Sample Piece: Donkey Kong Country Returns - Rocket Barrel (Theme 1)
Very uncommon, but still used. Always be ready for something like that.

7/4 time - 7 quarter notes to a measure.
Pulse: One group of 3, and; either two groups of 2, or one group of 4*. (e.g: {Strong, weak, weak}, {medium, weak}, {medium, weak})
Sample Piece: The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time - Credits (first few measures) (I know, not the best example, but it was the best I could do. :-\)

9/8 time (Hybrid Quadruple) - Like the 'orthodox' 9/8, there's 9 eighth notes per measure.
The difference is the pulse: Usually one group of 3, and three groups of 2; but groups can be fused, and/or switched around.
Sample Piece: N/A
It does exist; however, if you see a 9/8 time, assume it's the other one.

10/8 time - 10 eighths per measure.
Pulse: Two groups of 3, and two groups of 2*. Again, groups can be fused and/or moved.
Sample Piece: Super Mario Galaxy - Kingfin/Bouldergeist (Bass section)

11/8 - Eleven eights per measure.
Pulse: Three groups of 3, and one group of 2*. Groups may be fused and/or switched.
Sample Piece: Mario Kart 64 - Results (Win)

*(Pulse terminology is explained in Rhythm Groupings)
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements

Olimar12345

All of your Hybrid Times' pulses are incorrect. The only definate strong beat is 1-that's the fun of them-for example:
I can have a 7/8 piece feel multiple ways; 3+2+2, 2+2+3, and 2+3+2.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

JDMEK5

I actually got those pulses straight from my piano teacher a few years ago.

I listed what is most usually the default pulse. Yes, different variations exist, but that's how (I would expect) it is for the vast majority of the time.
Just like you can syncopate the off-beat of any common time piece, emphasizing an abnormal beat is perfectly fine and legal; it just gives it a different feel.

Quote from: Olimar12345 on September 18, 2012, 05:40:55 PMThe only definate strong beat is 1-that's the fun of them-for example:
I can have a 7/8 piece feel multiple ways; 3+2+2, 2+2+3, and 2+3+2.

In all your examples you have 3 groups: 2 groups of 2, and 1 group of 3. The first beat of every one of those groups is stronger than the second or third. The group in the middle of the measure is stronger than the second and fourth groups. (Assuming there is a fourth group)

Did I address what you meant? Or did I miss something?

My Arrangements

Olimar12345

Not entirely-in common time, you call it "syncopating the off-beat" because you have strong beats to relate them to. In composite time signatures, the strong beats are relative to the piece-7/8 isn't always counted the same way.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

SlowPokemon

How about examples of songs in each time signature, to help the inexperienced musician to understand better? Maybe even from video games, to appeal to our audience?

For instance, what about posting something like....

Sootopolis City is an example of a song in 9/8.
Team Skull is an example of a song in 12/8.

etc.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

JDMEK5

Quote from: SlowPokemon on September 19, 2012, 07:07:41 PMHow about examples of songs in each time signature, to help the inexperienced musician to understand better? Maybe even from video games, to appeal to our audience?

For instance, what about posting something like....

Sootopolis City is an example of a song in 9/8.
Team Skull is an example of a song in 12/8.

etc.
I like that. Consider it done. ... But.. I don't actually know that many songs with unusual time signatures... Maybe you could help list a few?

Quote from: Olimar12345 on September 19, 2012, 05:41:18 PMNot entirely-in common time, you call it "syncopating the off-beat" because you have strong beats to relate them to. In composite time signatures, the strong beats are relative to the piece-7/8 isn't always counted the same way.

Right. Gotcha.

My Arrangements

Bespinben

"Result 1 Win" by Kenta Nagata from Mario Kart 64 is in 11/8.

Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

SlowPokemon

Sayonara by Shota Kageyama from Pokemon Black and White (known commonly under the fan name "N's Farewell") is in 6/8.

Musical Hall by Shota Kageyama from Pokemon Black and White is in 3/4 and is a great example of a classical waltz.

More later
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

JDMEK5

Quote from: Bespinben on September 19, 2012, 07:19:33 PM"Result 1 Win" by Kenta Nagata from Mario Kart 64 is in 11/8.

Right. Thanks!

Quote from: SlowPokemon on September 19, 2012, 07:22:18 PMSayonara by Shota Kageyama from Pokemon Black and White (known commonly under the fan name "N's Farewell") is in 6/8.

Musical Hall by Shota Kageyama from Pokemon Black and White is in 3/4 and is a great example of a classical waltz.
Sorry. Already found some for those. I'm going to leave the examples with the most obvious feel. So I think the ones already up stay.

There's still more to fill though!

My Arrangements

Olimar12345

Only enough time to post a little bit:
Here are some pieces in 5/4:
VG:
-The Waterwraith is coming! (3+2)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flF9q2JsQkg

Not VG:
-Mars, the Bringer of War (3+2)
http://youtu.be/Pw0jvqx1mNU

Here are some pieces in 7/8:
Not VG:
-Rikudim Mmt. III (3+2+2)
http://youtu.be/V2gF09xOR0M

-Sleigh Ride(arrangement by John Eidsvoog) (2+2+3)
http://youtu.be/-ZggJNsAuIw

moar soon

JDMEK5

If they are VG songs, can you leave the name of the game they're from?

My Arrangements