News:

Using cutting-edge ray tracing technology, our sheets appear 69% more realistic than the leading bargain brand!

Main Menu

Is it bad that I can't get into classical music?

Started by Master_Z, September 28, 2012, 06:11:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Master_Z

I see a lot of people on this forum posting their favorite pieces, discussing their favorite composers and techniques, etc. I don't know if it's because I was just never exposed to classical music frequently or what, but I just don't see the big appeal. I understand on a larger level that our modern music theory is derived from those periods, and I have a genuine appreciation for this, but I just can't get into the music itself.

Shadoninja

"And so my saga of quoting myself in everyone's signature continues" - dudeman

SlowPokemon

Obviously you are not listening to good classical music

That's honestly all I can think of
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

blueflower999

Quote from: Master_Z on September 28, 2012, 06:11:00 PMI see a lot of people on this forum posting their favorite pieces, discussing their favorite composers and techniques, etc. I don't know if it's because I was just never exposed to classical music frequently or what, but I just don't see the big appeal. I understand on a larger level that our modern music theory is derived from those periods, and I have a genuine appreciation for this, but I just can't get into the music itself.
I was never a big fan of classical music either. However, I would rather listen to it than the crap that's becoming popular these days...  :-\
Quote from: Shadoninja on September 28, 2012, 06:23:25 PMNo.
Shadoninja has the best one word responses ever.  :D
Bulbear! Blueflower999

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: blueflower999 on September 28, 2012, 07:54:24 PMI was never a big fan of classical music either. However, I would rather listen to it than the crap that's becoming popular these days...  :-\
I used to dislike classical music...
until I listened to modern music...
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

SuperFireKirby

It's perfectly fine to not be into classical music. I like classical music, but I don't listen to it frequently. While it can help you better understand music, it by all means isn't necessary to understand and appreciate music.

And all you modern music haters obviously aren't listening to the right modern music.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

Bespinben

Quote from: SlowPokemon on September 28, 2012, 06:58:12 PMObviously you are not listening to good classical music
Quote from: SuperFireKirby on September 28, 2012, 08:58:54 PMAnd all you modern music haters obviously aren't listening to the right modern music.

Musical gems can be found in any place, if you look hard enough for it. I love it when I play a song on the piano like N's Farewell, a random person comes up and asks "what's that? it was beautiful but I never heard it before", and I get to tell them it's from a Pokemon video game. Then they're all surprised and like "hmm, I didn't expect that".
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

SuperFireKirby

I know. I was purposely trying to mirror Slow's comment. ;D

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

Mashi

It's perfectly okay to not like Classical music.
It is, however, unacceptable to not like Baroque music!!!

Nebbles

Also, you shouldn't feel bad for not liking a certain type of music. We all have our different tastes, anyway! And that's okay.
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

MaestroUGC

I feel it's like that with any genre, the only problem is is that you haven't found that one piece that clicks for you. I got into Classical music when I was a pre-teen, a time in which I focused mainly on modern stuff (before I knew anything about anything about music) and one day I stubled across Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue, and I was hooked. It wasn't full on Classical as it had large jazz influences, but was written using Classical techniques, so it worked as a gateway piece for me.

This is the same for any genre, as you just have to find that one piece that can make you say, "Hey, I like that, I want to hear more," and open up a form youve never experienced before.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

SlowPokemon

You just have to listen to all types of music, there's something in every genre for everyone
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

SuperFireKirby

Quote from: MaestroUGC on September 28, 2012, 11:03:45 PMThis is the same for any genre, as you just have to find that one piece that can make you say, "Hey, I like that, I want to hear more," and open up a form youve never experienced before.
This is so insanely true. Just recently had this experience with the genre of Post-Rock(an extremely orchestrated style of rock usually lacking vocals).

It just takes small catalyst to pry open a world of opportunity.

Cobraroll

I'm the type of guy who listens to video game music because it tells a story I can relate to (even if I haven't played the game it's from). While most "mainstream" music is either about partying or love (listen to any radio channel for examples), music from games bring you into a setting by the means of melody, nostalgia or even only the song title. You don't have to have played F-Zero to understand that "Decide in the Eyes (The Big Blue)" is all about speed, and that lovely feeling you get while cruising around at several hundred kilometres per hour. Even without having heard of Pokémon, you can relate to the heated emotions in the battle themes. Yoshi's Island's ending credits are filled with sweet memories, even if you don't know what a Yoshi is, never mind what happened on the island. Other times, the music brings up childhood memories, and hold a special place in your heart even if it sounds like rubbish to people who haven't played the games.

I guess there is a similar case with classical music, but it's done a lot subtler. Perhaps Beethoven's fourteenth tells a lovely story about that awesome car our friend Ludwig loved to cruise around in, but it's hard to tell from the music. Chaikovsky may describe thrilling scenes in his music, but without prior knowledge to what the piece is about, it sounds meaningless if you only listen to it for the story (or, like me, are unable to comprehend and appreciate whatever it is he's doing with the instruments). Video game music is a little more "in your face" with their themes, and tell the stories way more directly.
There are examples from classical music too. Look up "In the hall of the Mountain King" by Edvard Grieg. Even if you've never set foot in a Peer Gynt, you know exactly what is going on.

But generally, if you want to get the same experience from classical music as you do from game (or film) soundtrack, you have to do a little more research. Perhaps watch a play or two, seeing as a lot of classical music was composed as music score for plays or operas. Or you have to learn a bit of music theory to understand how genius it is of composer X to use that bagpipe solo just after the two minutes of timpani ensembling. Game music can be perceived as the fast food of musical cuisine. It's easier and cheaper than the heavy classical gourmet music, but not the least bit delicious if you know how to appreciate it.
Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.

Jompa

Quote from: Cobraroll on September 29, 2012, 11:27:35 AMI'm the type of guy who listens to video game music because it tells a story I can relate to (even if I haven't played the game it's from). While most "mainstream" music is either about partying or love (listen to any radio channel for examples), music from games bring you into a setting by the means of melody, nostalgia or even only the song title. You don't have to have played F-Zero to understand that "Decide in the Eyes (The Big Blue)" is all about speed, and that lovely feeling you get while cruising around at several hundred kilometres per hour. Even without having heard of Pokémon, you can relate to the heated emotions in the battle themes. Yoshi's Island's ending credits are filled with sweet memories, even if you don't know what a Yoshi is, never mind what happened on the island. Other times, the music brings up childhood memories, and hold a special place in your heart even if it sounds like rubbish to people who haven't played the games.
My thoughts exactly,
Birdo for Smash