News:

Debate topic for next Tuesday: Are cannons truly valid instruments for an orchestra? Or should they be replaced with something safer, like Tesla coils?

Main Menu

How do you guys recognize notes so easily?

Started by Taser9090, October 04, 2012, 07:27:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JDMEK5

Even if a song has a key signature that isn't C major/A minor, there can still be lots of accidentals.
The key signature just has to correspond to the song you're doing.
The one exception is if the piece is in a different mode.
As an arranger, your job is to tell which it is. (Hint: Pay attention to the chord progressions)
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

dahans

Quote from: Olimar12345 on October 07, 2012, 03:15:14 PMThis is sorta how I do it:
-Listen to the song a few times
-Identify tonic
-Identify the mode
-Identify the form of the piece
-Transcribe the bass line, then
-Transcribe the melody(or vice versa)
-Transcribe other voices.

As for accidentals, ignore them at first. Once you have the correct pitches, then go back and make the decision of which note it is. (based on the key of the piece and the notes function.)
I think Olimar is right. That's the best way. Also, it sometimes help to play the melody on the piano first (or any other instrument you play).
Check out my arrangements! I mean it! Check them out!

Ruto

What do you do about chords? Just curious...

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

dahans

Well chords... that's a little bit more difficult and requires some experience and practice. Basically, most of the chords are either easy minor/major chords which aren't really difficult to write. But when it comes to difficult jazz chords it becomes a little bit more tricky. Either you guess and it might take you a while to find the right one or you try to play it on the piano. I prefer the latter.

Olimar12345

Quote from: Ruto on October 09, 2012, 07:10:41 AMWhat do you do about chords? Just curious...

Chords are simple-let me explain:
To create chords, we stack all of the notes that are happening simultaneously in thirds (all spaces or all lines). Here's an example:

=

In this example, the chord is G major. All I did was arrange the notes into a stack of thirds and omitted the doubled note. Since the "G" is on the bottom, it's a G chord, (specifically G Major since the remaining notes are B natural and D natural).

There are then two ways to Identify the chord quality:

1) Once you transcribe the correct melody and bass line, focus on the inner voices. What are they doing? How are they contributing to the piece? The more voices you have, the easier it will be to identify the chord. 

2)Another way is to memorize how chords sound. Start with memorizing major and minor triads, then add diminished and augmented triads to the mix. Relating them to songs can sometimes be helpful. Then move to 7 chords. It can be much easier to listen to a piece and say "that chord sounds like a major chord" rather than to transcribe each note. Keep in mind this way requires a lot of ear training, witch might make it more difficult for a non-music major.

Did this help?

Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

JDMEK5

Quote from: Olimar12345 on October 09, 2012, 09:25:20 AMThe more voices you have, the easier it will be to identify the chord. 
The easiest way to figure out a chord is to look at the notes. Every note has a corresponding chord. That chord depends on the key you're working in.
(*Disclaimer: There are exceptions; these are only the most common options)

The following examples will be given in the key of C major.

If the note is:

1) C, then the chord is C major, the tonic chord.
2) D, then the chord is G major, the dominant chord.
3) E, then the chord is C major, the tonic chord.
4) F, then the chord is F major, the subdominant chord.
5) G, then the chord is G major, the dominant chord.
6) A, then the chord may be either F major, the subdominant chord; or A minor, the relative minor to C.
7) B, then the chord is G major, the dominant chord.

The same goes for minor keys except:

1) The relative major is on the third note instead of the sixth.
2) The tonic, subdominant, and dominant chords will all be minor. (Exception; see below)

Usually the 7th chord used is a dominant 7th. A 7th chord on the dominant note. That is only the case when the dominant chord is normally major.

*Exception to #2-2: Two things need to be understood first of all:

1) In harmonic minor scales, the 7th note is raised a semitone.
2) The only difference between a minor and major chord is the middle note.
If it's a minor 3rd interval away from the tonic, it's minor. If it's a major 3rd interval away from the tonic, it's major.

Sometimes the dominant chord of a minor key may be major because the middle note of the dominant chord is the 7th note of the scale.
Raising that note a semitone would result in the harmonic raising of the 7th note.
In perfect cadences for example, the dominant chord is always major.
If that is the case, then a dominant 7th may be used.
To tell the difference between a major/minor dominant chord when arranging (in a minor key) is simply trial and error.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

dahans

1) the chord you showed Olimar, wasn't a g major. It wasn't even a chord at all. I miss the b. it could also be a g minor or many other chords.

2) I wouldn't say that every note has a corresponding chord. Every piece is differently and it depends on the mood (major/minor) and even jazz chords are possible.

Olimar12345

Quote from: dahans on October 10, 2012, 12:21:42 PM1) the chord you showed Olimar, wasn't a g major. It wasn't even a chord at all. I miss the b. it could also be a g minor or many other chords.

2) I wouldn't say that every note has a corresponding chord. Every piece is differently and it depends on the mood (major/minor) and even jazz chords are possible.

1) Nope, you're wrong. A Chord is any TWO given notes sounding at the same time. Lol but whoops, that "D" in the tenor should be a "B".

2)Well not all notes are chord tones, but usually it's not that hart to tell what's going on in these pieces.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

dahans

Quote from: Olimar12345 on October 10, 2012, 12:33:13 PM1) Nope, you're wrong. A Chord is any TWO given notes sounding at the same time. Lol but whoops, that "D" in the tenor should be a "B".

2)Well not all notes are chord tones, but usually it's not that hart to tell what's going on in these pieces.

I learned that 2 notes are an interval, min. 3 notes make a chord. 2 notes can't possible define a chord.

dahans

It's actually funny. At my final test, we had the easy question "what is a chord" and I said the same thing: min. 2 tones played at the same time. And it was wrong... but maybe austrians/americans learn it differently... I mean we say "H" and not "B"

Mashi

I've heard it both ways, but I think that intervals and chords are generally identified as separate things.

Olimar12345

A chord in music is any harmonic set of two or more notes that is heard as if sounding simultaneously.

Mashi

I think that the definition is subjective:

chord

noun /kôrd/ 
chords, plural

A group of (typically three or more) notes sounded together, as a basis of harmony
        - the triumphal opening chords
        - a G major chord

Web definitions

a straight line connecting two points on a curve

play chords on (a string instrument)

a combination of three or more notes that blend harmoniously when sounded together

harmonize: bring into consonance, harmony, or accord while making music or singing

wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

dahans

this is getting a little bit off topic now. the definition is really useless. who cares for the definition? I just can tell you what I have learnt and I guess both points of view are "somehow correct".

Bespinben

Quote from: Olimar12345 on October 10, 2012, 12:33:13 PM1) Nope, you're wrong. A Chord is any TWO given notes sounding at the same time.

You sillies. Have you not considered dyads?
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday