GarageBand question? - Looking for a nice and full music composing program

Started by DonValentino, October 19, 2012, 11:29:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonValentino

Hey again guys! So I was looking for a good music composing program, and I found this video on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eo0Fkh_LWHY

The quality is excellent! But the thing is that GarageBand is an iOS program. Is there any way I can get it for Windows?

Also, I tried FruityLoops, but I just couldn't get used to it, and I couldn't find lots of options I wanted. If I can't get GarageBand for Windows, is there any other good program for music composing? Free or not programs accepted.

Oh, yeah, and by "full" I mean a program that has a lot of instruments and options.

Thanks in advance.  :)

JDMEK5

Obviously, I'm going to prescribe Finale.
Another cheap option is Notation Composer. Although it doesn't have nearly as many options as finale.
I've heard Sibelius is good, and I believe it. They claim to be the leaders in the music notation industry, and if finale is holding a special deal to switch from sibelius, it must be good.
I wouldn't recommend Garageband, especially when there are so many other better programs out there.

If you can get afford Finale, do it. You name it, it can do it. And more.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

FSM-Reapr

Yep, Finale is the no. 1 choice from the programs available in market. I use a special program that isn't available for market.

DonValentino

Quote from: JDMEK5 on October 19, 2012, 10:17:01 PMObviously, I'm going to prescribe Finale.
Another cheap option is Notation Composer. Although it doesn't have nearly as many options as finale.
I've heard Sibelius is good, and I believe it. They claim to be the leaders in the music notation industry, and if finale is holding a special deal to switch from sibelius, it must be good.
I wouldn't recommend Garageband, especially when there are so many other better programs out there.

If you can get afford Finale, do it. You name it, it can do it. And more.

Quote from: FSM-Reapr on October 20, 2012, 01:10:40 AMYep, Finale is the no. 1 choice from the programs available.

So finale can do something like that?!  :o
Wow, I had no idea. And yeah, I got Finale 2011 and Finale 2012 from a friend. But I mainly use 2011, I don't really like 2012 lol.  I'll try then.  :)
Thanks!  :D

Meta-Ridley

Hey there. You said that you were looking at Garageband? The above people are recommending Finale, but it really depends what you want out of the program.

Garageband is a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) program. What that means, is it is easier to control things like volume, eq, fading things in, multiple layers of sound. DAWs are also a lot better for using unconvential methods of creating sound - ie. electronic sounds, synths and pads, microphones and the such. It is also very good for getting inspiration for a composition. I would DEFINATELY not recommend garageband unless you are a complete beginner, as it is very limited software. However software such as Logic are able to provide well to musicians.

Finale, Sibelius and the like are Digital Notation Software. They are designed for you to compose songs in the most classical and strictest sense, using modern music notation to compose songs. This software is important for the performers mostly. While musical ideas are more easily made in DAW programs, you must have at least a moderate understanding of music to use this kind of software effectively.

So, if your looking to write a song with lots of layers of sound, and probably electronic instruments, then DAWs are the way to go. If you wish to compose a song that is very musically controlled and precise, then look at Finale.

I hoped this helps you.