Started by Yugi, November 15, 2012, 02:03:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikey

unmotivated

Sebastian

Shadow Queen (Paper Mario TTYD)
Grodus (Paper Mario TTYD) Almost harder than the queen

BlackDragonSlayer

And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Echo

Quote from: maelstrom. on May 13, 2014, 06:22:16 AM--Pete (Kingdom Hearts DDD) The boss you are able to fight after beating the game. I gave up after tow tries he killed me in 45 seconds.

lol, that's how almost every Secret Boss fight in the series goes. >_> Although, I'd say Julius is probably one of the more fair Secret bosses in the series (like, I'd only say the DS games had easier secret bosses).

Anyways, if you ever want to give him another shot, Riku has it way easier because Dark Barrier and Dark Roll are so spammable. Balloonga's great for dealing damage, and Curaga + Leaf Bracer/Once More/Reload Boost should last you if you need healing.

And given by what you said about those Metroid bosses, I kinda wanna hear your reaction to some Mega Man bosses. xD

Quote from: mariolegofan on May 13, 2014, 10:21:26 AMShadow Queen (Paper Mario TTYD)
Grodus (Paper Mario TTYD) Almost harder than the queen

Um, have you tried the Pit of 100 Trials? >_>

Maelstrom

Quote from: Echo on May 13, 2014, 03:37:17 PMAnd given by what you said about those Metroid bosses, I kinda wanna hear your reaction to some Mega Man bosses. xD
That hard? Have you played Metroid Fusion? Nightmare is hard because his last phase moves randomly and can only be avoided by space jumping (try that with a circle pad). SA-X is hard, but nowhere near impossible. Beat it in a few tries. But it feels brutal.

mikey

Quote from: maelstrom. on May 13, 2014, 03:56:20 PMThat hard? Have you played Metroid Fusion? Nightmare is hard because his last phase moves randomly and can only be avoided by space jumping (try that with a circle pad). SA-X is hard, but nowhere near impossible. Beat it in a few tries. But it feels brutal.
oh my goodness
the big ugly thing that flew around and increased gravity?
That thing was IMPOSSIBLE
unmotivated

Echo

Quote from: maelstrom. on May 13, 2014, 03:56:20 PMThat hard? Have you played Metroid Fusion? Nightmare is hard because his last phase moves randomly and can only be avoided by space jumping (try that with a circle pad). SA-X is hard, but nowhere near impossible. Beat it in a few tries. But it feels brutal.

Yeah, Fusion's one of the few Metroid games I've played. And as for how hard Mega Man is, I let my friend play on a file with all the power ups in the game, and he still couldn't beat one of the early-game bosses. :P It also loves giving you instant deaths with spikes or pits. >_>

Anyways, I'll use the Mega Man Zero series for a comparison since it's on the GBA like Metroid Fusion and Zero Mission. Main differences between bosses is that the Mega Man ones usually die faster, but on the flip side they can beat you faster too. Like, Metroid boss maps are generally bigger and more about creating space in the air, whereas Mega Man Zero is generally more cramped and grounded, and involves tighter jumps and precise dashes to dodge attacks.

So here's the first boss of the third game as an example:
http://youtu.be/vKwsEE7XWlw

So yeah, the room gets pretty cramped. The attacks are pretty slow, but they take up a lot of space in weird angles.

And here's a mid-game boss from the second game as another example.
http://youtu.be/bv6Ad3XSoTA?t=55

Again, small map, with the boss using a greater variety of tricky and faster attacks.

The Mega Man Zero series also has a Ranking system at the end of every stage, and you can only get special moves by getting good Ranks, so that's a big part of where the challenge comes from. You get penalized for stuff like taking too long, not defeating enough enemies, taking too much damage, losing lives, and even for using health upgrades, so generally you don't want to use power-ups if you want good Ranks.

But yeah, I've seen people compare the Metroid and Mega Man games a lot and said they enjoyed both, so I definitely recommend them to you.

Maelstrom

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on May 13, 2014, 04:26:43 PMoh my goodness
the big ugly thing that flew around and increased gravity?
That thing was IMPOSSIBLE
Yep. That was nightmare. Killed me 50+ times

Crazy Hand

Quote from: Echo on May 13, 2014, 03:37:17 PMUm, have you tried the Pit of 100 Trials? >_>
I thought Shadow Queen was harder than Bonetail. Well, I was just better prepared for Bonetail. I had to go back to Rogueport three times just to get enough EXP to beat the Shadow Queen, whereas I only fought Bonetail once and my partners took almost all of the damage. Shadow Queen's long cutscenes didn't help...

Plus, lava piranha from Paper Mario. In world 5, has almost as much life as the final boss (50+40 vs. 99) in world 8, more attack, and is on fire after 40 life, summons fiery minions, and generally just was a pain.

mikey

Quote from: maelstrom. on May 13, 2014, 05:47:48 PMYep. That was nightmare. Killed me 50+ times
lol only 50?
:P
even the SA-X is easier than that thing
unmotivated

Maelstrom

Quote from: Crazy Hand on May 13, 2014, 06:12:53 PMPlus, lava piranha from Paper Mario. In world 5, has almost as much life as the final boss (50+40 vs. 99) in world 8, more attack, and is on fire after 40 life, summons fiery minions, and generally just was a pain.
That one was easy. I just spammed chill out (I think) or whatever lowers the attack. Then it did basically no damage and was easy as pie.

Crazy Hand

Quote from: maelstrom. on May 13, 2014, 06:33:26 PMThat one was easy. I just spammed chill out (I think) or whatever lowers the attack. Then it did basically no damage and was easy as pie.
Hmmm... I'll try that on my next playthrough.

Echo

Quote from: Crazy Hand on May 13, 2014, 06:12:53 PMI thought Shadow Queen was harder than Bonetail. Well, I was just better prepared for Bonetail. I had to go back to Rogueport three times just to get enough EXP to beat the Shadow Queen, whereas I only fought Bonetail once and my partners took almost all of the damage. Shadow Queen's long cutscenes didn't help...

Plus, lava piranha from Paper Mario. In world 5, has almost as much life as the final boss (50+40 vs. 99) in world 8, more attack, and is on fire after 40 life, summons fiery minions, and generally just was a pain.

I was the opposite for Bonetail, because I wasn't going to seriously go all the way down the Pit when I did it, then after a point I figured, "might as well see what's down there." >_>

As for the Lava Piranha, I just spammed Ice stuff, like the Snowman Doll and Ice Power + Powerbounce.

Sebastian

Quote from: Echo on May 13, 2014, 03:37:17 PMUm, have you tried the Pit of 100 Trials? >_>
Oh yeah.
For some weird reason, it was easy for me :)

fingerz

Thugly from Donkey Kong Country Returns. THAT is the hardest god-damn boss I have EVER had to take down in my life. He's hard enough on Normal Mode, so when I attempted to beat this shit on Mirror Mode (just DK and one hit is instant death) I almost gave up.

The guy in the movie makes it look so easy when it's really not. The precision to jump over his back and hit him without touching that fucking iron hotplate on his back is insane. I've played all the other DK games before this - I haven't played DK Tropical Freeze - and I think it's safe to say this is by far the hardest boss they've ever created. None of the final bosses match this thing's difficulty level... XD

http://youtu.be/_mgddKOlL7o?t=14m47s
Classical / Jazz / Contemporary
Performer / Arranger / Educator
Bb, A, C & Bass Clarinet / Soprano, Alto, Tenor & Baritone Saxophone / Basset Horn