News:

All Hail President Bowser!

Main Menu

Guitar Arrangements

Started by JDMEK5, December 27, 2012, 09:04:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JDMEK5

Here's the list of all the guitar arrangements we've got. If we get enough, eventually there might be a section of the main site devoted to this.

Leave a post with your arrangement. I'll have a list here with everything collected so far.

What should your guitar sheet look like?
Spoiler
The Formatting Guidelines:

(1) Song Title: Times New Roman, Size 24, Bold, Centre Aligned
  • Just the name of the song, in quotation marks, as found on the OST, in-game sound test, or (if none of those exist) the most reliable source you can find. This goes at the top of the first page.
(2) Game Name: Times New Roman, Size 12, italic, Centre Aligned
  • This goes just under the song title. Write the full game name, not any abbreviated versions.
(3) Composer: Times New Roman, Size 12, Bold, Right Aligned
  • Put this at the top of the sheet like in the picture. Separate multiple composers with commas, with either an "and" or an "&" sign preceeding the last one.
  • You can either write "Composed by ..." as in the picture or "Composition by ..." That's it. No colons, semicolons, hyphens or anything fancy.
  • If the song is a remixed or arranged version of an older song, also include "Arranged by ..." underneath the original composer's name and overtop of yours. This text is written in the same style as the original composer. This will also affect the way your name will appear on your sheet. (See below)
(4) Arranger: Times New Roman, Size 12, Italic, Right Aligned
  • Put this just below the composer. Write it exactly as you'd like your name to appear on the site. It doesn't have to be your forum username.
  • You can either write "Arranged by ..." as in the picture or "Arrangement by ..." That's it. No colons, semicolons, hyphens or anything special.
  • If the song is a remixed or arranged version of an older song, your name will go underneath the composer and previous arranger's name. In such a case, write "Re-arranged by ..." That's it. No colons, semicolons, hyphens or anything special.
(5) Alternate Tuning: Times New Roman, Size 10
  • If an alternate tuning is needed, simply write it out above the tempo marking and any capo markings.
  • Always try to refrain from using alternate tunings. However, if one is needed, try to stick to the most common ones such as "Drop D", etc. Finale has different TAB options for alternate tunings.
(6) Capo Marking: Times New Roman, Size 10
  • If a capo is needed to play the song in the correct key, note which fret it goes on.
  • Never transpose the song into a different key when you could just use a capo marking.
(7) Tempo Marking:
  • You have to include one of these with your sheet. It must include "note value = number" like in the picture.
  • You can also add a musical direction (e.g. Presto) if you wish but don't substitute a Metronome Marking for a musical direction.
(8*) Clef:
  • Always use a plain treble clef. Never anything else; especially no ottava clefs. Finale will automatically transpose your notes an octave below written. (The way guitar is supposed to be written)
(9) Key & Time Signatures:
  • Use a key signature to indicate the key of the song, or at least the key that it tends to hang around most often
  • If a song doesn't have a definite key, do not use different key signatures every few measures to simply eliminate accidentals.
  • Always use the correct time signature. Try to avoid using composite time signatures whenever possible.
  • Although it is fine to use Common time instead of 4/4; (and likewise with Cut time) if the song is a requiem; or has a definite, stressed beat; (such as a march) numbers are preferred.
(10) Group Brackets:
  • Connect the staff of all guitars to it's corresponding TAB staff via bracket as shown in the picture.
  • To make these, go to the "Staff" menu and go to "Group and Bracket" --> Add.. Include your two staves in the group and name the staff Guitar. Have no abbreviation. The bracket to be used is the second from the right.
(11) TAB Staff
  • It is mandatory that your sheet include one of these for every guitar involved. Each TAB staff should go directly below the corresponding standard notation staff and be connected therefore via bracket.
  • Always go through your TAB to make sure it's playable. Don't have numbers like 12 played at the same time a 4 is played on a different string. Likewise, no jumping around the neck all the time.
  • If you have a capo in use, be sure no fret numbers are below the fret your capo is set to. Use a different string if necessary.
(12) Measure Numbers:
  • These should be at the beginning of each staff system except the first. Finale should do it all automatically.
  • As far as font goes, use the Finale default.
(13) Ties in TAB:
  • Only use ties in TAB if you have notes being held over bar lines. Otherwise, the Finale default of hidden TAB will suffice.
  • If you use ties in TAB at all in your sheet, you must use it in every other place it occurs. Even if it's within the measure. It must match the standard notation staff above it.
(14) Dynamics:
  • These are not mandatory unless the original song makes a definite point of using them.
  • Never add dynamics that are not in the original song.
(15) Copyright: Times New Roman, Size 10, Centre Aligned
  • This goes at the bottom of the first page. It's easiest to enter during document setup when you first make the file.
  • Use the format used in the picture - <Publisher, Developer> © <Year Published> (Including the spaces, without the <>, just like the example.)
(16) URL: Times New Roman, Size 10, Centre Aligned
  • Include NSM's URL as in the picture. Directly copy/paste it in if that's what it takes to get it right. This goes just under the Copyright.

Quote from: G-HanI hope everyone follows this standard-form from now on. It's really not that difficult and you'll be helping to raise the quality of the sheets on the site.
[close]

List of guitar arrangments:

Pokémon

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon 2: Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky
Bubbles Shining Over The Sea - [MUS] [MIDI] [PDF] - Dusk

The Legend Of Zelda

The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time
Fairy's Fountain - [MUS] [MIDI] [PDF] - JDMEK5

*Pretend it's not even there. It's only there to keep the 8 from becoming the "cool" emoticon.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

Dusk

Great idea! ;D

Here is the first guitar arrangement:

"Bubbles Shining Over the Sea"
[ZIP] [PRI] [MIDI] [PDF]

The music notation program I use is named PriMus. It's specially for guitar notation and has many symbols which are specially for classical guitar notation. How you can see... I have no mus. file. Someone has to write my arrangement in finale. If this is no problem I will arrange with pleasure more pieces for guitar. ;)
Quote from: Bespinben on August 25, 2015, 12:08:51 AMOfficial seal of approval
(^o^)=b
August 25th, 2015

JDMEK5

I can't actually see your arrangement right now, but I'll assume for now that you've followed the guidelines.
I'm not posting the PRIMus file because that's a less known program.
Notepad is free so do what you can with that.
See if you can get an MUS on.

Nice to have something up now... hopefully some more will come in.

EDIT: Hold on.
I just looked at it, and a few things are off.

1) There's no TAB.
2) The ottava clef. I don't know if you meant to do that, much less if it's legit. As far as I know, the normal treble clef is the only thing ever used for guitar.
3) Instead of using harmonic notation for chords, write the normal names. (e.g. G, Eb, Csus, F9, Bmin, etc.)

On a better note, (pardon the pun) well done with the articulations such as slides.
You also included the bass section as well. Good job with that.

However, the pros don't outdo the cons, so fix those up before your sheet goes up.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements

Dusk

Sorry, I uploaded the wrong file. I'll fix this.

Edit: Fixed.

Quote from: JDMEK5 on December 30, 2012, 04:21:39 PM3) Instead of using harmonic notation for chords, write the normal names. (e.g. G, Eb, Csus, F9, Bmin, etc.)
What do you mean? ???
(^o^)=b
August 25th, 2015

Shadoninja

Quote from: Dusk on December 31, 2012, 12:53:38 AMSorry, I uploaded the wrong file. I'll fix this.

Edit: Fixed.
What do you mean? ???
Where you had "I" or "II" above the staff, use a chord name instead:
Quote from: JDMEK5 on December 30, 2012, 04:21:39 PM(e.g. G, Eb, Csus, F9, Bmin, etc.)
"And so my saga of quoting myself in everyone's signature continues" - dudeman

JDMEK5

That's right. If you have a chord that you're unsure of, you can build it here.

My Arrangements

Dusk

(^o^)=b
August 25th, 2015

JDMEK5

Very well, but chord names are much more standard than hand positioning and fingering.
Chord names take priority and if you think fingering is really necessary, please do it in the manner similar to piano.
(Chord names are optional unless you have strummed chords)

My Arrangements

JDMEK5

Here. This is also to serve as a guideline (if you will) to how the arrangement should look.
(And look at that! It involves a capo!)

The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time - Fairy's Fountain - [MUS] [MIDI] [PDF]

My Arrangements

JDMEK5

Gather all guitarists of NSM! I am rebooting this initiative because (as you all have heard) the site is getting a facelift! So I was thinking if we manage to collect enough guitar sheets by the time that happens, maybe a guitar section of the site could be added as well.

@Dusk: I've rewritten and fixed up your sheet in finale so it's good to go. It's playable too so good job!

So, if you play guitar, please help out! There's a lot of songs to do!

My Arrangements

Master_Z

Quote from: JDMEK5 on June 12, 2013, 10:36:18 AMGather all guitarists of NSM! I am rebooting this initiative because (as you all have heard) the site is getting a facelift! So I was thinking if we manage to collect enough guitar sheets by the time that happens, maybe a guitar section of the site could be added as well.

@Dusk: I've rewritten and fixed up your sheet in finale so it's good to go. It's playable too so good job!

So, if you play guitar, please help out! There's a lot of songs to do!

I've been playing classical guitar for around two years, so I might be able to help. The problem I see is that your project is geared toward pop guitarists (tablature, pop chord symbols, etc.). I'd really like to see a game sheet music database with arrangements for classical guitar (PIMA fingerings, left hand numbers, no capos, etc.). I'm pretty decent with aural/written theory, so maybe I could be of help. What did you have in mind?

JDMEK5

I wasn't actually expecting this to start up again. Even with my revival post.

Quote from: Master_Z on July 25, 2013, 08:23:40 PMThe problem I see is that your project is geared toward pop guitarists (tablature, pop chord symbols, etc.).
Actually, that was the result of trying to get the most easy-to-read, complete sheet possible. Ideally one could play these on nylon or steel strings.
And forgive me for saying so but in my opinion it's much nicer looking than classical music.

Quote from: Master_Z on July 25, 2013, 08:23:40 PMWhat did you have in mind?
Just get a bunch of guitarists arranging... Unfortunately there aren't many of us (not suprisingly) but many big things had humble beginnings as well.
I suppose just find a song you like and start arranging. I've got a guideline on the original post for what I'm hoping the sheets will look like.
And since this is brand new, we can have quality control right from the beginning.

Just to let everyone know, I was actually expecting a lot of guitar duets here. (In proportion to guitar solos that is)

If you're willing to help me, I won't be alone anymore and I'll have a reason to keep up with this. Then if Dusk would join again we'd have a crowd. :P

My Arrangements