The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Discussion Thread

Started by SlowPokemon, January 06, 2013, 04:45:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SlowPokemon

Clearly the best t-shirt ever

http://www.zazzle.com/kyon_kun_denwa_t_shirt-235261337632451580

For those of you who don't get the joke:
Spoiler
When The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya re-aired in 2009 with the season two episodes mixed in, they aired one episode every week. That means that for eight weeks, no one saw anything but Endless Eight. And at the beginning of each, Kyon's phone rings. And his little sister says "Kyon-kun, denwa!" ("Kyon, the phone!"). Basically it became a meme where when you hear "Kyon-kun, denwa" you want to kill something with frustration.
[close]
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Yugi

Started watching the first episode.

Is the first opening Hare Hare Yukai or Bouken Deshou Desho?

Jompa

Birdo for Smash

Yugi

SuperFireKirby

SO ANYWAY MY FAVORITE PART OF NARUTO SHIPPUDEN IS WHEN PAIN IS ALL LIKE, "I'M PAINNNNNNNNNN."

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

Mashi

SuperFireKirby, just because your love of Melancholy has shattered your mind does not mean that you must forget how to read a topic title!

Also, Yugi, A+++++++++ for starting.

Yugi

Is Mikuru going to molest Haruhi every episode?

EDIT: Whoops meant if Haruhi was going to molest Mikuru

Mashi

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
That typo was amazing.
But no, it'll stop being showed on screen when more important things show up.

MaestroUGC

So I sat down to continue this series with the next five episodes, which proved to be better suited as they side-stepped the science-fiction a bit in favor of more typical high-school comedies.

episode-by-episode
The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya was nothing special in plot, but it did give me chance to see how the characters behave when they're not busy fufilling their prime directive of the show, which was nice. There some good jokes that I got a laugh out of, but overall the humour and writing was more of the same.

Bamboo Leaf Mystery saw a return of the science-fiction and was a nice bit of clever writing tying back to a off handed line from the Meloncholy series. That's about it, though. I do enjoy plots where "It was me all along" when done well, and this episode did it well.

Mysterique Sign introduced what is I'm assuming to become the primary theme from the show: a detective drama. A student is lost and the SOS Brigade sets out to find him. This episode was largely forgettable, I just saw out and all I remember was the climax with the giant grasshopper. The writing was fair, the humour wasn't there, it was largely a forgettable moment.

The Remote Island Syndrome duology found the gang vacationing on a deserted island. It sets itself up as your typical beach episode as is required from high-school comedies. Then their host is mysteriously killed when a typhoon hits the island. Now I enjoy good mysteries, and a staple of a good mystery is allowing the viewer an equal chance of solving the mystery as the detective. Now if I could solve the damn thing the moment they opened the door, then that's just some poor, poor writing. It was a large cliche, and the resolution was rather unsatisfying and just left me mad. I felt cheated out of what promised to be a good story, but it was all spoiled knowing how it would all end.
[close]

Next comes the Endless Eight, which following that last episode, I am not looking foward in any way. That last one just left me angry, and as far as I understand the only thing the next eight have going for them is the score. Because I believe the only way to watch any series is from start to finish with the good and the bad, I must continue with the Endless Eight in full.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

SlowPokemon

Ouch.... Good luck with that....

Yeah the series's second season (Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody, Endless Eight, and Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya) was definitely not its better one.

The problem is the show doesn't take itself seriously until Disappearance, which is easily the highlight of the series in my opinion. Until then it resorts to several gimmicky aspects and fanservicey humor. Like I said before, I didn't really like haruhi until I finished it. I just think it's better to watch after you've seen it once.

Jompa

I... kinda like the endless eight now..
And I love bamboo lead rhapsody!
Birdo for Smash

FSM-Reapr

Maestro, just wait until you get to the movie. That made Melancholy one of my favorite shows of all time.

SlowPokemon

Quote from: Jompa on March 29, 2013, 04:50:08 AMI... kinda like the endless eight now..
And I love bamboo lead rhapsody!

I think Endless Eight is great personally, but it's easy to see a lot of problems with it. Watching all of them only makes the conclusion better, in my opinion. It's just that season two didn't have as much diversity.

Mashi

You're all being frivolous, the show was perfect since Episode 1!!!
Also, MaestroUGC, no mention of the Ace Attorney reference?!

I'm surprised that the second season doesn't have a high reputation though.  The second season was immensely better than the first, I feel (as in, it was perfecter than perfect!!!).

MaestroUGC, don't read this!!!
Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody set up Disappearance and was the first time present-Mikuru was actually useful!  It provided some background on Yuki (sits in a room for 3 years and has actually met Kyon and Mikuru before!  And will do so again in the movie!).  Not to mention more obvious things, such as the paradox of Kyon causing Haruhi's obsession with aliens, time travelers, and espers (and I think sliders in the book?  I forget, too lazy to check).  Also, John Smith!!!
But anyhow, the implications for this episode are phenomenal (I've only mentioned a couple).  You're all frivolous!!!

Endless Eight was frivolous, but it's A++++++++.  But Yuki and everyone loves her and <3.

And I felt Sigh was masterfully done, to be honest.  It was incredibly emotional and serious at points (Haruhi making Mikuru drunk, and Tsuruya helping her do so).  The sheer capabilities of Haruhi still exist even when making a simple movie (Mikuru actually having a Mikuru Beam, the pigeons turning white, etc.) while also circumscribing her limits (Kyon's outrage of her making Mikuru drunk and the argument that ensues, almost leading to him slapping her!!!).  Not to mention the importance of Tsuruya and how she actually knows a bit about Haruhi and her god-like powers.  If I were in my Melancholy prime, I would write you essays about each episode and its significance, but since it's been years since I've last watched the series, you'll have to make do with a few sentences!

In other words, Melancholy is the greatest thing ever.  Discuss.
[close]

SlowPokemon

Honestly I love the second season, but you can't deny it's less accessible than the first.

Also yes, Sigh Part 4 was intense.