The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Discussion Thread

Started by SlowPokemon, January 06, 2013, 04:45:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FSM-Reapr

That moment is amazing, but my personal favourite is the
Spoiler
battle between Asakura and Nagato. So much awesomeness.
[close]

SlowPokemon

I tend to like the slice-of-life aspects better than the sci-fi, but I have to admit that everything about that sequence, from the animation to the score, is fantastic.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Kman96

My hands-down favorite part of the movie (and probably the anime, too) was
Spoiler
When Kyon was on the street with Haruhi and Koizumi and she asked him what his name was. When he said "JOHN SMITH" I just died.

So epic.
[close]
Party Hard!
[close]

Jompa

Why don't we just conclude that the whole damn show is a big pile of epic moments attempted to be mushed together and shaped like a slice of life show but wasn't mushed good enough so some of the epic moments are still poking out some bigger than others?
Birdo for Smash

blueflower999

Bulbear! Blueflower999

Yugi

My favourite
Spoiler
The Scene in the computer club in episode 2
[close]

Jompa

Spoiler
Koizumi: We just have to find a suitable ending to the movie. One that Suzumiya will accept of course.

Kyon: Sure if one exists.

Koizumi: Well actually... there is one type of ending that can take any non-sensical plot, and turn it into something that makes perfect sense to an audience.

Kyon: [sceptical] Well, what is it?

Koizumi: "It was a dream"

[cymbal crash followed by awkward silence]

Koizumi: No joke, that was the ending I was talking about.
[close]

XDDDD

Spoiler
Kyon monolog:
Oh yeah, that reminds me. It had been a while since I'd seen one of those guys who were dressed kinda strange (referring to the guys who dressed like vikings and other middle age themed characters). I don't think they were in any of the plays, the other classes were putting on.
Who the heck were they anyway.

Hahah, I just love all the nonsense Haruhi has created throughout the series :P
[close]

Also:
at the sigh part 5
After Mikuru is acting out her orders about trying to make Koizumi look bad in Kyon's eyes, Koizumi contacts Kyon as well.
And he looks kinda different in my opinion, which I think is coming from the fact that he doesn't want to do as he's been ordered to...
Anyways...

What Koizumi tells him about is that there are MANY organizations in similar positions to the ESPer boys, the time-travelers and the Thought Entity. And they are not always friendly towards each other.
He mentions bloody battles, sneak attacks, sabotage and even slaughter, going on behind the scenes.
And:
There are shown images of the neighborhood they are currently standing in - including a huge blood stain in the ground, and A FREAKING DEAD GUY LYING ON THE SIDEWALK!! And the two men who are over there doesn't seem surprised at all!!!

That is one scary scene D:
[close]
Birdo for Smash

Jompa

tsuruya(?)
Quote from: Mashi on March 29, 2013, 06:32:40 PMI forget which Part of Sigh it was, but during the scene when Mikuru is telling Kyon about how her superiors and Itsuki's superiors have different interpretations of Haruhi's god-like powers, you can see Tsuruya listening while hiding in the darkness of the background.  The notion of Tsuruya knowing more about Haruhi than we're normally led to believe is further supported in the light novels if you've read ahead.
I wouldn't doubt this if it says so in the novels, but I haven't gotten around to those (past snowy mountain syndrome), so I wouldn't know.
What I'm trying to say is:
How it is shown in The Sigh, is that Tsuruya is standing at least ten meters away, and Kyon and Mikuru aren't exactly speaking loudly, after all: they know she's there!
Tsuruya is just standing there leaning agains the wall, not hiding at all, grinning over the fact that Kyon and Mikuru are talking alone, because Tsuruya definitely want them to get together - just from this, I don't think you can conclude that she knows about Haruhi.
But as I said, if the later novels say so, then it is definitely true. It is also possible that yes, Tsuruya knows about Haruhi's powers in the later novels, but that the conversation Kyon and Mikuru had didn't have anything to say as to how she finds out about it.
Again, whatever the novels says, is true - but I don't think this case is related, unless that is specifically stated in the novels.
[close]
Birdo for Smash

Mashi

Spoiler
No, it's rather fair to conclude that neither Mikuru and Kyon are aware of her presence.

Firstly, Mikuru walked away with Tsuruya after informing Kyon of whatever coupon thing she had; Mikuru's returning to Kyon to say something else implies that she wanted to say something Tsuruya didn't want to hear.  This being the case, she would have bid Tsuruya's leave originally if she didn't think she would leave shortly thereafter.  Not to mention that Tsuruya even states "That'll be all." (or if you want to be a fickler, "See ya." in the Japanese dub) and begins leaving afterwards.

Secondly, I don't see how you're reaching the conclusion that she was 10 meters away or that they weren't speaking loudly (the former because it's a cartoon and normal binocular cues aren't as effective and the latter because it was extremely conspicuous that they're speaking in loud, clear, colloquial voices).  In addition, basic understanding of Physics would tell you that voices can be more clearly heard in a clear, quiet corridor due to the bouncing of waves across walls.  Since we don't know specifics important to predict the effects of voice amplification in the scene, however, I'll give you the doubt for this.

Thirdly, the fact that she's so hard to miss most likely means that she was hidden for a reason.  The directors of the show wouldn't randomly decide to shade her in darkness if they didn't want to make any implications.  If you were in their (or his/her?  Not sure.) positions, would you decide to randomly make a character appear for a couple seconds (and still be obfuscated by darkness) when she was presumed to leave?

And no, I don't think it's stated specifically in the novel, and it rightfully shouldn't.  This show involves quite a bit of logical thinking and connotes various meanings.  It would ruin part of the experience if everything were revealed.

Furthermore, I never said she learnt about Haruhi from the conversation they had.  I stated in my post that she most likely knew prior (and if you've read the later novels, there's reason to believe that she's known about Haruhi for a while).
In addition, Mister Tanigawa is the type to like the multifaceted characters to throw in unexpected twists.

All in all, I think the evidence that Tsuruya was meant to be eavesdropping in that scene is immense.  But believe whatever you wish, I won't try to convince you otherwise beyond this.
[close]

Jompa

Spoiler
We never saw Tsuruya leave. I think she just went over to the wall, to let Mikuru and Kyon talk.
By the time Mikuru returns Tsuruya couldn't have made it very far, but about to where she is standing.
She is definately about 10 meters away, if not more.
The fact that she is in the shadow is because the entire corridor is. It is dark. Were they gonna create a spot where the sun was shining brighter, just for her?
And she is not really hiding, as I said, she is just grinning while watching a potential couple chat with each other. It's not really anything keeping Kyon from seeing her, just as well as we can see her.
OF COURSE, I don't know, but so far I don't believe that Tsuruya has anything to do with anything.
[close]
Birdo for Smash

SlowPokemon

I agree with Mashi, I noticed that myself as well. It seems weird to just put her in a shot where she has no business.

Jompa

Spoiler
But she kinda did have business there - she followed Mikuru to Kyon so they could talk - and afterwards she was just watching them talk.

Think about this then:
What if she just went over to the wall to wait for Mikuru finish talking to Kyon - perhaps because they had to do more festival preparations after this - they could just be on their breaks, idk.
It is not weird in any way that she would wait for Mikuru to get done, because they might have had important stuff to do after their little break, so Tsuruya might have been a bit impatient and ready to break up their conversation if Mikuru took too long.
If that is the case then there is absolutely nothing weird about it.

It is easy to accept that they actually know she is there, but the fact that they don't know she is there seems kinda unbelievable:

Something important to consider is that she is not hiding even in the slightest.
No, not in the shadows either (the whole corridor is dark, but anyone would be able to see a person there - watch the clip)
^"Oh, but why is the corridor so dark then?" That is because all the following scenes are - they are about how the members' respective organizations are fighting, and that Mikuru and Koizumi (and even Nagato) have to make each other look bad in Kyon's eyes, which none of them wants to do - that is why the corridor and the other scenes are so dark. It's for the atmosphere - that is something anyone could agree on.

And, she is in Kyon's field of vision - like, she definitely is in Kyon's field of vision(watch the clip).
And again, she is more than 10 meters away (watch the clip) - so the fact that she shouldn't be able to hear them talk, is conclusion that works.

Theory's are fun, but this one isn't supported - it requires more creativity to accept it than to decline it (which is a bad thing), and therefore I don't believe it,
unless I take up the novels and they convince me.
[close]
Birdo for Smash

SlowPokemon

Jompa

Birdo for Smash