News:

NinSheetMusic is 1264 years old!

Main Menu

About the second Captcha

Started by Turkooyze, January 16, 2013, 06:21:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turkooyze

Welp, I just joined the forums. I had a bit of a problem while joining the forums, as once you create your account you are given two captchas, the first one being a standard off the shelf captcha, and the second one has you put in -the name of the site-.

I spent at least 10 minutes trying to guess what it actually was, in the end it was NinSheetMusic, not NintendoSheetMusic or ninsheem or ninsheetmus.

My point is, yes its there on the home page, but I've frequented this site for at least 3 years or more, and still had that problems with it.

It's not a complaint, but I wanted to mention this to you guys, seeing as this is the feedback section.

EDIT: wait....does every post I make gonna have one of those...? Or is it just cause Im a new member?

Shadoninja

Quote from: Turkooyze on January 16, 2013, 06:21:18 AMEDIT: wait....does every post I make gonna have one of those...? Or is it just cause Im a new member?
Only your first post.
"And so my saga of quoting myself in everyone's signature continues" - dudeman

Turkooyze

Thanks Shado, after making a few posts around the site I noticed it wasn't asking anymore, and I expected it to be just cause I was a new member.

Jamaha

Hey, thanks for the feedback.

The optimal solution would of course be to accept answers that are close enough (such as the variations you described) but unfortunately the system doesn't allow multiple right answers for a question.

Then there's also the option of changing the question altogether. It however needs to be something relatively simple. Asking for the name seems to have been working well, although there is no actual data of how many valid registrations have failed because of that second CAPTCHA. What it has done, though, is pretty much completely eliminate the spam from the forums.

Shadoninja

Quote from: Jamaha on January 16, 2013, 06:53:53 AMThen there's also the option of changing the question altogether. It however needs to be something relatively simple. Asking for the name seems to have been working well, although there is no actual data of how many valid registrations have failed because of that second CAPTCHA. What it has done, though, is pretty much completely eliminate the spam from the forums.
What about adding a hint?
Something like (Hint: look at the banner)
"And so my saga of quoting myself in everyone's signature continues" - dudeman

Jamaha

Turkooyze

Quote from: Shadoninja on January 16, 2013, 06:56:48 AMWhat about adding a hint?
Something like (Hint: look at the banner)

The problem is, a hint like that would just make it worse *for me it did*. Since this isnt the HOME page, the banner says NSM Forums once you're attempting to join. That gave me like 5 other options, between nsmforums, allcaps with spaces or no spaces, that and the fact that i tried to put the actual website in the captcha, UNTIL i decided to not give up and look elsewhere on the main site to see what it was actually there.

Problem is the website is ninsheetm.us, with both nintendo and music abbreviated, so i safely assumed that the actual name was nintendo sheet music , as music is clearly not abbreviated, i assumed nintendo wasnt either. Which is where all of my problems began.

Seriously, it gave me a hard time, i even looked for the admins email or something so I could send a 'Hey, what's the answer to your CAPTCHA....cause I CANT join your forums' sort of e-mail.

Jamaha

Well, things would probably be easier if we still had our original domain.

I added a mention of looking at the home page, which should make things a bit clearer.