News:

Need help with Finale? Have a question about arranging? NSM Resources is the place to go!

Main Menu

CRoll + Pencil + Paper = ?

Started by Cobraroll, December 23, 2010, 07:45:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamaha

A real shame he stopped drawing.

Also I hate myself for not finding out that he was visiting Finland last year. He better come visit again someday so I can actually meet him and maybe get my The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck signed.

FSM-Reapr

*has his signature in every DD album*

:3

Jamaha

God dammit.

At least I have a signed photo...

Waddle Bro

So I heard someone mentioned Donald Duck and especially Don Rosa, so I knew I had to stop by.

I have a limited, 1st edition copy of the Finnish "The Crown of the Crusader Kings", leather covers of course. Unfortunately I don't have the drawing that came with the album. :(

Also I have all of his albums in Finnish, with autographs ofc.

Also two more months until I have 400 1st edition "Aku Ankan Taskukirjaa". So excited.

Cobraroll

I've got a fair bit of Donald Duck material, and own all of Rosa's stuff in hardcover books, but haven't got anything signed.

Got a signed drawing by Arild Midthun, though. Had a nice long chat with him after a presentation he held at a local library. Back then, he had only published ten Duck stories or so, but was already an established newspaper cartoonist. By now he has penned several dozen stories, and is clearly one of my favourites. His drawing style is a little more detailed than most Duck artists, at times rivalling Rosa's. He never writes the scripts himself, though, preferring to work with other writers (who do an excellent job, I might add).

As much as I love Rosa and Midthun, though, my personal favourite is Marco Rota. If I may say so, he's the only Duck artist who knows how to draw shadows. All of the other Donald Duck artists always use well-lit scenes, while Rosa isn't afraid to let stuff happen in total darkness. His stories are less detailed and complex than Rosa's, the scripts less intricate than those of the Norwegian writers, but that distinct style and truly enjoyable stories give every Rota comic top quality.

Honorable mentions go to Flemming Andersen, William van Horn, Kari Korhonen, Floyd Gottfredson, Al Taliaferro and the late Vicar. Carl Barks shouldn't even have to be mentioned. I really hope future generations of writers and artist manage to uphold the great quality of the classic masters.
Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.

FSM-Reapr

I dislike van Horn's work, I find the stories boring and his art style isn't that good either. Rota's distinct style, like you said the best, is very enjoyable. I still love Rosa though, no matter what happens. His work has always been absolutely amazing, he put a lot of effort in most of his series and the details were so good that *faints*.