THE SUPER MARIO GALAXY PROJECT!!

Started by fingerz, February 11, 2015, 08:00:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikey

gliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiisssssssssssssssssssssssssaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnndddddddddddo
unmotivated

videogaminglegodude

Quote from: fingerz on February 11, 2015, 08:00:22 PMHi everyone! So, I've been a little busy with stuff lately BUT I have a new project that I'm starting! It's called...

THE SUPER MARIO GALAXY PROJECT!!

Yes, although I'm famously known for hating the Super Mario Galaxy series, I absolutely adore the music and thought other people at my Uni would too. So, that's how this came about! It's for the Wind Symphony at my Uni and I plan to incorporate a small handful of tunes from both games. Below is everything I've thought out so far:

THE BAND: Wind Symphony = Concert Band = no strings. I have saxophones at my disposal though, so that's fine. I'll just give the strings to other instruments.

RUNNING TIME: Somewhere between 10 and 11 minutes. Plenty of music, but not too much.

THE SONGS: (in this order too)

1. Staff Roll (SMG) - just the first 16 seconds
YouTube Video
[close]

2. Battlerock Galaxy (SMG) - the whole song
YouTube Video
[close]

3. Melty Monster Galaxy (SMG2) - the whole song
YouTube Video
[close]

4. Starship Mario Themes (SMG2) - a combination of all three
YouTube Video 1
[close]
YouTube Video 2
[close]
YouTube Video 3
[close]

5. Bowser Jr.'s Fort (SMG2) - the whole song
YouTube Video
[close]

6. Attack of the Airships (SMG) - the whole song
YouTube Video
[close]

7. The Luma and the Hat (SMG2) - the whole song
YouTube Video
[close]

8. Theme of Super Mario Galaxy 2 - up to around 1:30
YouTube Video
[close]

9. Staff Credits (SMG2) - from around 3:10 to the end
YouTube Video
[close]

Oh yes... WHAT YOU CAN DO IF YOU'D LIKE TO HELP: Tell me if the songs I've chosen are good! I've shown a number of people and they think this repertoire show a vast range of different colours and sounds from the games. Of course, if you know another song that might fit or would be better, you can suggest!

OR!

You could help arrange a piece! It's up to you! I don't mind doing it all by myself, but help's always appreciated. I found a few piano arrangements of these tunes to use as a reference, so that's also handy.

OR!

You could give me advice on how to make a smooth transition from one of the pieces to the next. I have a few of them figured out (1-2, 5-6, 6-7 and 8-9), but you can be the judge of that once I put what I've done up on display.

SO! That's all there is to know at the moment! I'll post to show you what I've done along the way so you can give me suggestions and tell me if I'm doin' it right. Until then! :)

I arranged ice mario, and thought you might be interested.  I just think it would be nice to have some kind of power up music in with all these level themes, however, it is only on the piano.
For lack of anything better to say, I love the Miis.

videogaminglegodude

Quote from: videogaminglegodude on May 28, 2015, 09:06:18 AMI arranged ice mario, and thought you might be interested.  I just think it would be nice to have some kind of power up music in with all these level themes, however, it is only on the piano.

I Am unable to include it though, because they changed this forum to the hilt and I can not navigate it!
For lack of anything better to say, I love the Miis.

OllyGolly

Quote from: fingerz on May 27, 2015, 09:52:57 PMNothing so far! I've been far too busy with Uni exams and such up 'til now. Just let me know what you'd like to work on and I won't start there. :)

Yeah, winds are my speciality as well (seeing as I'm a Clarinetist). I'm pretty good with percussion too, so that's not a big deal. I'm yet to learn how to notate a Harp part, though... I've heard they're difficult...

I did the staff roll considering you only needed the first 16 seconds or so. I'm probably going to work on Melty Monster. I can help with the notation of a Harp part. They are very delicate.

fingerz

@videogaminglegodude: Sure, send me a link to your Ice Mario arrangement and I'll see if I can incorporate it! ^^

@Nocturne: Yup, that's literally what it does the whole time. :P

Hahaha! Yes, I know you did that, OllyGolly. I've been hoarding all the piano music related to these pieces so I already have a starting spot. (Like Deku's version of Battlerock Galaxy). I'll probably start with Staff Roll and work my way through, although I remember Deku saying he wanted to do that one...

I'll send everyone who's interested a PM next week so we can organise some sort of order. Hope it works. XD
Classical / Jazz / Contemporary
Performer / Arranger / Educator
Bb, A, C & Bass Clarinet / Soprano, Alto, Tenor & Baritone Saxophone / Basset Horn