News:

We seem to have trapped one of the mods within the forum's code... and we're not sure how to get him out. Oh well, he'll figure it out!

Main Menu

Rhythm Groupings

Started by Bubbles, January 22, 2013, 03:08:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bubbles

I know this has been asked countless times before, but even after reading everything I find I still have no idea how to work rhythm groupings. Can someone explain it shortly and simply (if thats possible) without using too much fancy musical vocabulary? From what I've gathered, I think its something like the stronger beats in a measure must be shown, for example is the piece is in 4/4 time you need to show the 1st and 3rd beats using ties?

JDMEK5

http://www.ninsheetm.us/smf/index.php?topic=4845.msg168866#msg168866

If that's a bit over your head, let me know and I'll break it down for you. At least, what you need explained.

Quote from: Bubbles7689 on January 22, 2013, 03:08:10 PMFrom what I've gathered, I think its something like the stronger beats in a measure must be shown, for example is the piece is in 4/4 time you need to show the 1st and 3rd beats using ties?
Long answer short: that's right.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

Bubbles

Ok, but if that is true, how come its acceptable to put a whole note in 4/4 time? Wouldn't it be better to put two tied half notes?

Bubbles

Wait, I think Im starting to understand it. Its sort of like a growing thing:

Strong beat: strong, medium and weak
Medium beat: medium and weak
Weak beat: weak

and its different for all different time signatures, based on what its rhythm is?

So its ok for me to be especially confused when it comes to sixteenth notes :P So technically you could put two dotted sixteenth notes nex to each other as long as they are between or both on a certain beat? (Now I know why this is hard to understand)

SlowPokemon

Simple solution: make it sound right, then ask for help with proper notation. After someone fixes up the sheet (or says it's fine) you can compare.

Honestly, it's not something you need to be uptight about having perfect, as it holds entirely aesthetic implications.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Bubbles

But I feel bad because normally whenever I submit a sheet the review is
-slight chord change in measure x
-minor formatting detail
-rhythmgroupingsrhythmgroupingsrhythmgroupingsrhythmgroupings

SlowPokemon

Quote from: SlowPokemon on January 22, 2013, 06:38:06 PMSimple solution: make it sound right, then ask for help with proper notation. After someone fixes up the sheet (or says it's fine) you can compare.

Olimar12345

Quote from: SlowPokemon on January 22, 2013, 06:38:06 PMSimple solution: make it sound right, then ask for help with proper notation. After someone fixes up the sheet (or says it's fine) you can compare.

Honestly, it's not something you need to be uptight about having perfect, as it holds entirely aesthetic implications.

This is not the way to go about this.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

SlowPokemon

It's not that big of a deal unless it's totally awkward and unreadable. Maybe I have just played/read enough music to pick up on it, but I have never given rhythm groupings a second thought and have never been told that they're inadequate.

Shadoninja

Do music theory for a Bubbles and she will have one proper sheet.
Teach music theory to a Bubbles and she will have thousands of proper sheets.
"And so my saga of quoting myself in everyone's signature continues" - dudeman

Olimar12345

One of these days we need to have a theory lecture in tinychat or something...
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

SlowPokemon

You can't explain music theory in tinychat.

Shadoninja

Quote from: Olimar12345 on January 22, 2013, 06:55:20 PMOne of these days we need to have a theory lecture in tinychat or something...
http://tinychat.com/shadoninja
password: theoryisfun
"And so my saga of quoting myself in everyone's signature continues" - dudeman

Olimar12345

Quote from: SlowPokemon on January 22, 2013, 07:02:53 PMYou can't explain music theory in tinychat.
Tomorrow night good fer you?

Bubbles

I dont know if I can :< But here:

Whats wrong with the rhythm groupings here? I have a beat on the strong AND weak ones with no ties or anything (I drew cute little lines to show the beats :P)