News:

Want to request some new sheets? Head on over here first!

Main Menu

Finale Notepad (New Q)

Started by Taser9090, January 30, 2013, 06:20:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taser9090

Before I try actually arranging, I wanted to get around Finale Notepad so I can use it effectively in the future. WarioWare: D.I.Y. is a lot like Mario Paint, and has pre-loaded songs in which I can transcribe into Notepad.

The problem is that I realized this is a watered down version of Finale, which makes sense, so I can't do all the things that I need to transcribe. I can't switch octaves, not all layers play during playback, expressions/dynamics won't play during playback, and all that stuff. The template provides all the symbols, but it doesn't do anything for playback.

Does everyone here actually use Finale Notepad? If you do, are there ways around this? I'd like to buy a better version, but I have no way to purchase anything online, not like I have the money anyway.

"They say money makes the world go 'round. And what goes around, comes around" ~Rover

Zunawe

I would say a majority of the arrangers use Notepad (if not, then it's close). Dynamics and layers should work perfectly fine in Notepad. Octaves can be simulated with texts, but you won't have access to tools.

There is a way to get a bunch of working tools though. I think. Just load somebody else's arrangement of something with the same key sig and time sig, and you can use a lot more articulations and such. Shadoninja also has a template for Notepad users that helps with limitations a little.
You know you've been playing too much Dragon Quest when you're afraid your Hershey's Kisses are going to flee.

I program things

JDMEK5

Quote from: Taser9090 on January 30, 2013, 06:20:20 PMThe problem is that I realized this is a watered down version of Finale, which makes sense, so I can't do all the things that I need to transcribe. I can't switch octaves, not all layers play during playback, expressions/dynamics won't play during playback, and all that stuff. The template provides all the symbols, but it doesn't do anything for playback.
Now with notepad:
- You're right. You can't switch octaves.
- You're wrong. All the layers will sound in playback.
- You're wrong again. Expressions and dynamics will affect the playback.

Now I'm assuming you're using notepad 2012.

For everything you can't do, (such as key changes, clef changed, ottava markings, etc.) refer here. We're always willing to help.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

Winter

Hell yes they will affect playback! Might not sound accurate, and /some/ things won't affect playback. but do it!

Taser9090

Ah, I see. Thanks for the tips guys.

I used the fourth layer, but it didn't seem to have any sound when I pressed play, but it seemed to play the first layer. I don't know what I did wrong with that.
I also know that dynamics such as p, pp, mf, ff, crescendos, etc., will work, but expressions such as swing doesn't work for me.

So, it would be alright if I go to that thread and ask if someone could change the octaves in certain measures?

"They say money makes the world go 'round. And what goes around, comes around" ~Rover

Shadoninja

Quote from: Taser9090 on January 31, 2013, 04:39:18 PMAh, I see. Thanks for the tips guys.

I used the fourth layer, but it didn't seem to have any sound when I pressed play, but it seemed to play the first layer. I don't know what I did wrong with that.
I also know that dynamics such as p, pp, mf, ff, crescendos, etc., will work, but expressions such as swing doesn't work for me.

So, it would be alright if I go to that thread and ask if someone could change the octaves in certain measures?
Are you using the default file or my template?
In my template I have set layer 4 to not playback.
"And so my saga of quoting myself in everyone's signature continues" - dudeman

Taser9090

Oooh, no wonder! Yeah, I used your template. Now that I think of it, I don't think I even need a fourth layer.

I suppose I can finish this transcription, though, the only thing I don't like is having to pester to have someone help me fix my sheet.

Shadoninja

Quote from: Taser9090 on January 31, 2013, 04:59:26 PMOooh, no wonder! Yeah, I used your template. Now that I think of it, I don't think I even need a fourth layer.

I suppose I can finish this transcription, though, the only thing I don't like is having to pester to have someone help me fix my sheet.
I use layer 4 for notes that are seen but not heard. For example when I use percussion sounds in an arrangement.

If you want swing, you'll have to use one of the blank expressions to set swing.

55. Light Swing Playback (75)
50. Standard Swing Playback (100)
54. Heavy Swing Playback (125)
56. Dotted Eighth, Sixteenth Swing Playback (150)

Template Documentation version 0.8

Quote from: Taser9090 on January 31, 2013, 04:39:18 PMSo, it would be alright if I go to that thread and ask if someone could change the octaves in certain measures?
What do you mean by change the octaves? Like add an 8va/8vb?
"And so my saga of quoting myself in everyone's signature continues" - dudeman

JDMEK5

Quote from: Taser9090 on January 31, 2013, 04:39:18 PMSo, it would be alright if I go to that thread and ask if someone could change the octaves in certain measures?
Most definitely.
Quote from: Taser9090 on January 31, 2013, 04:59:26 PMThe only thing I don't like is having to pester to have someone help me fix my sheet.
We're here to help. You say, "Transpose!", I say, "How high?".
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

Taser9090

Quote from: Shadoninja on January 31, 2013, 05:19:59 PMI use layer 4 for notes that are seen but not heard. For example when I use percussion sounds in an arrangement.

If you want swing, you'll have to use one of the blank expressions to set swing.

55. Light Swing Playback (75)
50. Standard Swing Playback (100)
54. Heavy Swing Playback (125)
56. Dotted Eighth, Sixteenth Swing Playback (150)

Template Documentation version 0.8

What do you mean by change the octaves? Like add an 8va/8vb?
The expressions for 8va/8vb are there, but they don't do anything to playback.

QuoteWe're here to help. You say, "Transpose!", I say, "How high?".
That's reassuring :)

I finished everything I needed to do for one transcription, but all I need to do is change octaves for some measures and edit text. I don't know how to edit the game title and the "arranged by".

Zunawe

Quote from: Taser9090 on January 31, 2013, 06:46:32 PMI finished everything I needed to do for one transcription, but all I need to do is change octaves for some measures and edit text. I don't know how to edit the game title and the "arranged by".
There's a text editing button that has an 'A' icon. If you double click the boxes near the text it lets you edit it.
You know you've been playing too much Dragon Quest when you're afraid your Hershey's Kisses are going to flee.

I program things

Taser9090

Oh, I see. I thought they were two separate boxes. Thanks!

Edit:
I'm not really sure who to put the composer as.
The songs are mostly arrangements themselves.
For example, the song "A. Crossing" was composed by Kazumi Totaka, and then it was arranged by Takeru Kanazaki (The head of the music department), and then I'm just copying it into Finale NotePad.

Also, there's many composers, so I'm not sure who to put.

MaestroUGC

What I do is this:

Original Composer, Arranger
Arranged by [Name]

But only if the game credits the original composer.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

Taser9090

I see. They don't credit the original composer, but their name is not hard to find. Would it be acceptable to credit them?

MaestroUGC

I suppose, actual you could do it like this:

Composed by [Game's Composer]
Based on a Theme by [Original Composer]
Arranged by [Name]
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.