News:

NinSheetMusic is the LARGEST video game sheet music archive on the entire internet worldwide!

Main Menu

Accent mark for soft notes

Started by Bubbles, March 01, 2013, 04:07:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bubbles

I really didnt want to start a whole new topic for such a small question :/ Has anyone thought of a general topic for little questions?

So I know that the > sign in sheet music is used for accenting a note and playing it louder than the others (I'm pretty sure thats the right sign, if its not I hope you know what I'm talking about). Is there another sign that is for the opposite: to play it softly?

Olimar12345

An accent doesn't have anything to do with volume. If you want something quieter, specify it with dynamics.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Bubbles

But its only one note, not an entire section of notes. How would I do that?

My knowledge of music theory is scary

Olimar12345

If you wanna pm me the sheet, I can take a look at it for you.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Dudeman

If it was me, I'd put accents over all the notes except the one that was quieter, but that's kind of labor-intensive.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Bubbles

Eh, its a fairly quiet song, but there are notes that are even quieter :P Olimar helped me by putting these little liney things (tenutos?)

JDMEK5

Tenutos (-) indicate to stress the note. Not play it any louder or softer but give it a more chaotic touch.
(That made no sense, I know. It's like trying to describe colors to a blind man; it just doesn't work)
For your problem, see if there's a dynamic called piano forte. (pf) There's forte piano (fp) which indicates to play the specified note loud then go immediately quiet again.
Basically the opposite of what you're trying to pull.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

Olimar12345

Thanks for your concern, JDMEK5, but the issue has been resolved. Turns out that in the original, everything was quiet and there were string instruments that crescendoed on held notes. (Something a piano can't do). Instead I suggested that the piece be marked "piano" and play some notes with stress and others in a legato style.

JDMEK5

"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26