News:

Don't forget to submit your daily replacement!

Main Menu

What key/time signature is this song in?

Started by The Deku Trombonist, March 24, 2013, 03:27:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FierceDeity

Idk, I don't think it's in bad judgement to do 9/8 here. There are a lot of triplet figures that couldn't just be written as swung eighth notes. As long as it's notated correctly, it really shouldn't be any more difficult to read.

Sebastian

FierceDeity

Just messaged you with my feedback, haha

Sebastian

Sebastian

I wanna make sure BEFORE I start it
4/4...12/8? What would you do?

FierceDeity

I'd probably go with 4/4 for this one. It's a lot more swing-based than it is triplet-based (if that makes sense), in comparison to the last one.

Sebastian

Ok :) (sorry for bothering everyone with all these questions)

FierceDeity

No problem haha, that's what this thread is for :P

mikey

Okay sorry for disagreeing  ;) but I definitely feel a triplet pulse in there.  :/
unmotivated

Sebastian

Sorry for the offense but I think Fierce would know way more than you. Mor arrangments and all

Yugi

Quote from: mariolegofan on January 15, 2014, 07:33:32 PMSorry for the offense but I think Fierce would know way more than you. Mor arrangments and all
Again, (no offense to you FD), quantity =/= quality.

FierceDeity

None taken, haha. While I like to think I've improved a lot through my time arranging here at NSM (and my first semester studying music at college :P) there are still many people on here who are more experienced than I am, and I still have a lot to learn. Besides, this is more of a subjective disagreement, anyways, as either time signature could technically work. (Still, thanks for backing me up, MLF :P)

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on January 15, 2014, 07:08:10 PMOkay sorry for disagreeing  ;) but I definitely feel a triplet pulse in there.  :/

I mean, there is, but it's not nearly as strong, seeing as it isn't prevalent in a majority of the measures. The overriding feel, to me, seems to be swung eighth notes; the only triplet rhythms other than swung eighths seem to be in the percussion (which may or may not end up in the arrangement), and those are just plain triplets, put in amongst/stressing swung eighths, in instruments that imply a jazz feel. Again, it can easily work either way, but that's my take on it.

The Deku Trombonist

I was gonna post something but then I saw the paragraph above me which pretty much says everything. Swing is more of a stylistic thing related to jazz. Eg much of Banjo-Kazooie has what may be called swing rhythms but stylistically you wouldn't refer to it as swing. Just like the track above has a bit of a shuffle thing going so you wouldn't call it 12/8.

Sebastian

Another question  ::)

How do you make finale play a trill a whole step down instead of a half step up??

The Deku Trombonist

Write the note that the trill is on as the lower note perhaps? Eg if you want a trill from B-A write the trill on the A, and if you want it to start on the B, put grace note just before.