What key/time signature is this song in?

Started by The Deku Trombonist, March 24, 2013, 03:27:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bespinben

Bb major, 12/8 time - borrows heavily from mixolydian mode and parallel minor (hence all the Ab's and Gb's)
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Maelstrom

Quote from: Jompa on January 30, 2015, 10:22:31 AMThere might be some awkward language barrier stuff in this post:
It's in 12/8 or 6/8 or whatever you prefer but there's a lot of duplet eights being played over the underlying tuplet eights rhythm (hemiols, polyrhythmic, all that stuff) making that straight 4/4 feel we occationally get. It is in B-minor, in phrygian.
That makes a lot of sense.

Jompa

Quote from: braixen1264 on January 30, 2015, 10:37:26 AM[YouTube video]
What time signature is this?
Quote from: Bespinben on January 30, 2015, 10:45:10 AMBb major, 12/8 time - borrows heavily from mixolydian mode and parallel minor (hence all the Ab's and Gb's)
More presisely, the first part is in G-major, and then it goes to Bb-major. If they're not in it throughout the whole song, these two tonalities are at least borrowing from mixolydian by using the flattened 7th step of the scale in many places. Towards the end there appears alterations to this scale. But saying it borrows from its parallel minor isn't quite right; it's more about the chord progression allowing the use of the flattened 6th, 3rd and 7th steps of the scale in many places.
Birdo for Smash

E. Gadd Industries

You guys all are extremely helpful. However, I can't find the key signature of "Electrodrome" from Mario Kart 8. Can someone help me out?
"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

Sebastian

Jompa

C-major and briefly A-major, both based on mixolydian. Beware of that cliche bVI bVII I progression that spawns a bunch of flattened 6th and 3rd steps of the tonic scale.
Birdo for Smash

E. Gadd Industries

Oh my goodness! Thank you so much! (And thank you, Mariolegofan, as well)
"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

Maelstrom

This is just giving me problems. I can't tell if it's 6/8, 4/4 with triplets, or wtf it is.
And how should I notate the beginning? It modulates every measure.

mikey

that thingy at the beginning is just a rit. if that's what you're talking about
I'd count it in 6/8 myself though
unmotivated

Maelstrom

mikey

Quote from: Maelstrom on February 01, 2015, 05:50:18 PMThis is just giving me problems. I can't tell if it's 6/8, 4/4 with triplets, or wtf it is.
And how should I notate the beginning? It modulates every measure.
am I the only one who thought he was talking about time sig
unmotivated

Jompa

Progression:
F# | G# | A | B | C | D | Esus | E || and (you probably don't need me saying all this, but here comes a further analysis:) then on to the main part in A-major, which, like the last eternity of songs posted here, uses and borrows from that cliche bVI bVII I progression so beware of flattened 3rd, 6th and 7th steps.
Then it goes to D-major, then it goes to G-minor, then Bb-minor, then it repeats from the A-major part.
But the point is: the main part is in A-major, and that intro is pretty much just leading to that anyways, so you should notate it in A-major.
Birdo for Smash

Maelstrom

mikey

unmotivated

Sebastian

I'm Kind of embarrassed for still asking for keys.....
Is this one in F Minor?
I figured out a new way to find keys. I wanna see if its working :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQwp7zDeLlc