News:

The monkeys are up to something...

Main Menu

What key/time signature is this song in?

Started by The Deku Trombonist, March 24, 2013, 03:27:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pianist Da Sootopolis

The first one seems entirely percussion so it's a bit hard to tell really.
You may like Maestro's Virtuosic arrangement of the Airship theme, by the way.
Quick question, I'm hearing 4/4 G minor on this one (I know it's G minor just confused on time sig a bit) but it's making the beginning play out a bit funny. Any and all advice appreciated.
what is shitpost

TheMarioPianist

Quote from: skiaak on September 05, 2015, 08:10:47 PMMost importantly what key sig is this in (just want to check with you guys).

Airship

and Volcano Underground

Based on MLF's previous arrangements of these songs, the first is 1 flat and the second is no sharps nor flats (I say it that way because I don't know if they are different modes or simply major/minor).

Quote from: Pianist Da Sootopolis on September 05, 2015, 08:27:50 PMThe first one seems entirely percussion so it's a bit hard to tell really.
You may like Maestro's Virtuosic arrangement of the Airship theme, by the way.
Quick question, I'm hearing 4/4 G minor on this one (I know it's G minor just confused on time sig a bit) but it's making the beginning play out a bit funny. Any and all advice appreciated.

4/4 is correct. What's playing out weird?
"I'm always here to help. Except when I'm not." ~Latios212

"If you're interested in 'balancing' work and pleasure, stop trying to balance them. Instead make your work more pleasurable." ~Donald J. Trump

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

Tobbeh99

Wtf is wrong with this song!?? What time signature does it go in??
First it seems like a straight 4/4, 2/4 but then like 9/8 and 6/8 and wtf?? I almost seems like the bass and the melody goes in different time signatures.

And also what key signature?? I'm guessing Eb-minor but I'm not sure.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFtY3-_RkRw
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

Sebastian

That is the weirdest song I've ever heard :P
It sounds like 4/4 all the way through and I have no clue about the Key sig.....again, very weird song.

Tobbeh99

I thought it sounded so straight-forward but when I started working with it, it turned out to be a completely different story.

Anyways forget the key sig, I'm sure it's Eb-minor but very chromatic song. But the time sig is a mystery. I'll have to try what seems most logical a looks best.

Here's how far I've come: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/24842881/Prologue.zip
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

Jompa

I haven't actually dived into the details of the song to say this - I'm just mentioning it:
Let's not forget that a song doesn't have to go in one time sig over the course of the song. That goes for key too.
In this song, the time sig is kinda irrelevant, as it never seems to ever settle on something (well, I don't really know that, though). Or something along those lines...
This sorta happens with the key too during some parts of the song, but the tonal center our minds always wanna go back to (and which the song actually does go back to, as well) is clearly Eb-minor.
Birdo for Smash

Tobbeh99

Here's another version, I think this is better much more simple time signatures, but with an off-beat feeling in the melody in the first bars.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/24842881/Prologue.zip

10/10 tobbeh

TheMarioPianist

I've been going back and forth on this one. Do you guys think 4/4 or 12/8? That repeating phrase in the right hand led me to 12/8 when I originally thought they were triplets. But they aren't. They are a really ugly rhythm. I get to have fun trying to figure out the correct beaming for that one...

"If you're interested in 'balancing' work and pleasure, stop trying to balance them. Instead make your work more pleasurable." ~Donald J. Trump

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

mikey

trying to count it in 12 would lead to a headache imo
I'm thinking it's 4/4 cuz I don't hear any triplets.  Just wondering how you'd notate the percussion though...
unmotivated

Tobbeh99

I quite sure it's 4/4, hearing some 16th notes divided in groups of 4 here and there. And the high notes are some sort of triplets.

10/10 tobbeh

TheMarioPianist

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on September 12, 2015, 10:49:31 AMAnd the high notes are some sort of triplets.
Ok, I do agree with the time signature. But this, I have a different opinion on. The single bass part that plays in the first 2 measures sounds completely off when played against triplets. The only viable option would be eighth note triplets (4 groups of 3). Of course, I don't have the correct beaming (yet), but the rhythm that sounds correct in Finale is dotted 16th-dotted 16th-16th (x4). I think if you slow down the YouTube video to 50%, you can tell that they are not triplets.

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

Tobbeh99

Can you link a mus file of it, the results you've gotten so far, and it might be easier to help and see what's the problem is.

10/10 tobbeh

Jompa

As weird as this may sound, it changes between the two at random times (rarely actually being a perfect version of either of them). That's what I hear at least. For the sake of nice sheet music, and that it really doesn't matter for the performer, I'd write it all as triples.
Birdo for Smash

TheMarioPianist

Quote from: Jompa on September 12, 2015, 11:06:38 AMAs weird as this may sound, it changes between the two at random times (rarely actually being a perfect version of either of them). That's what I hear at least. For the sake of nice sheet music, and that it really doesn't matter for the performer, I'd write it all as triples.
Thank you so much for saying this. I thought I was crazy for hearing this. I was like really confused with what to put because it did seem to lack consistency.

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on September 12, 2015, 11:04:17 AMCan you link a mus file of it, the results you've gotten so far, and it might be easier to help and see what's the problem is.
Just so you know, this is not my song. I was just helping Oasis out with it when I stumbled across this weird thing. Going with what Jompa said, I have this kind of test mus file that kind of has 3 different options: one as triplets, one as non-triplets, and one with them combined. I agree with Jompa about the triplet thing looking nicer, but the triplets don't sound right with the first 2 beats of that bass part. Anyway, here is the file.

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

TheMarioPianist

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player