News:

Iron gates are a thing of the past! Now, you can access your yard with the all-new NinSheetMusic-brand Teleportation Technology!

Main Menu

What key/time signature is this song in?

Started by The Deku Trombonist, March 24, 2013, 03:27:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian

There are probably a couple different ways this song's time sig could be put, but I would recommend 6/8 at 54 BPM.

EDIT: Key signature is A Minor (no flats/sharps).

BrainyLucario

Quote from: Sebastian on February 11, 2016, 11:13:55 AMThere are probably a couple different ways this song's time sig could be put, but I would recommend 6/8 at 54 BPM.
And what about the key signature?
When given the choice between adulting and music, choose music every time.

mikey

unmotivated

Sebastian

Quote from: BrainyLucario on February 11, 2016, 11:15:07 AMAnd what about the key signature?
Sorry about that.....guess I didn't edit quick enough :P
It's in A minor (no sharps/flats.)

BrainyLucario

When given the choice between adulting and music, choose music every time.

Sebastian

C Major and 4/4 at 100 BPM. Since it sounds like it's in 2, I'd notate it in 2/2 at 100 BPM.

Zeila

Just to clarify, I believe this is in 10/8, but I heard that the pattern is also common in 5/4 time. Other than that, I need the key sigs for both songs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y49b8aiQVBg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftyE2w1CUFs

Thanks!

Pianist Da Sootopolis

The 1st song is IMO best notated just chromatically with sharps and flats.
Second one is E flat minor/D sharp minor.
what is shitpost

AwesomeYears

Yay CotN! I should compose some of the music as well :P

Zunawe

Time sig? I wanna say something like 9/8, but they kinda feel like triplets.

Also, suggestions on composer name spelling while I'm here? I've seen: Ko Otani, Koh Ohtani, Koh Otani, Kow Otani, Kou Otani, Kô Ôtani, Kō Ōtani, etc...
Japanese Characters: 大谷 幸
His Wikipedia page says Kow Otani, as does his VGMdb page.
You know you've been playing too much Dragon Quest when you're afraid your Hershey's Kisses are going to flee.

I program things

InsigTurtle

I'd personally go with 9/8 here.

I actually don't know if you should go with the way the composer chooses to render their name, which appears to be Kow Otan, or if you should go with the way they are credited in the game, which appears to be Kō Ōtani. Although, the most common romanization nowadays would be Kō Ōtani in western naming order (in Japanese, the order is family name before given name). The other spellings come from different romanization types.

Tobbeh99

The Sunlit Earth:

It almost seems like a 6/8 but as a compound time signature, that would be 18/16. But later in the song it seems a bit more like a 9/8, which I'd go with since it's much more common. You could also do 3/4 or 6/8 with triplets, but there's really no need to since the song contains constant triplets so you could just write it as 9/8 for simplicity.
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

Sebastian

I didn't know where else to post this, so I'll post it here.
I have a question about my arrangement.
Spoiler
[close]
Should the Bbs in 18, 22, and others like it be A#s (The B in the right hand and the A# in 23 is what tipped me off)? In 23 I put an A# because of the B in the next measure and because it's an ascending passage.
I think the Bbs should be A#s.....am I correct?

EDIT:
Original if you need it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6hsdWGF0no

Dudeman

Since the piece is in a sharped key signature, I would recommend using A#'s instead of Bb's.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Olimar12345

Quote from: Dudeman on March 02, 2016, 10:13:52 AMSince the piece is in a sharped key signature, I would recommend using A#'s instead of Bb's.

nay nay my friend. That's not how it works.

Here's what I'd do:
mm. 18 LH: Bb's as written, since it sounds like a lowered fifth rather than a raised fourth.
mm. 18 RH: B natural as written (with a courtesy natural). That is just V - i (easy)
mm. 22 LH: keep the Bb's, since it's an ostinato (a figure that repeats underneath the melody).
mm. 23 RH: keep the A#. Chromatic ascent.

tl;dr (hardly) you had it right the first time.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!