News:

Using cutting-edge ray tracing technology, our sheets appear 69% more realistic than the leading bargain brand!

Main Menu

What key/time signature is this song in?

Started by The Deku Trombonist, March 24, 2013, 03:27:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dudeman

Definitely G Major, and I would put the modulation at 0:35 as well (that's Bb Major).
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Latios212

^G to Bb is right. The F naturals you see are from the use of mixolydian mode.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

LuxraySpiral

Quote from: LuxraySpiral on March 20, 2017, 07:37:23 AM
(Also, I might try to concrete my position as the parentheses guy)
Quote from: ThatHiddenCharacter on March 20, 2017, 08:18:57 AM
(Sorry, (but (that (role (is (already (taken.)))))))

daj

It's the 2300 AD background track from Chrono Trigger! :) I don't intend to arrange this, but this is one of the tracks that's worthy of some thought. ^^

If you were to arrange this, what would be a nice time signature? It's not meant to be beated, but there's this fun interaction in the track - percussion parts beat every two eighths, and every long chord lasts nine eighths. Yep, that's right: nine eighths. The phrases are four chords long, with the first and third chord progressing in step to the second and fourth chords respectively. :)

So it would seem right to write it in 9/4, but that suggests compound triple meter. 4+5/4 or 5+4/4 would be ignoring the equal division of the long chords. The best option I can think of is writing in 18/8 (which doesn't really suggest that equal division either, but eh) or writing in 4/4 and making the whole thing a mess of ties. :p

Thoughts? ^^ Would be glad to hear some of them, because this track is just so worth discussing <3

oh and since i'm here: great marsh from dppt.
Spoiler

i'm almost certain this is 2/2, but i have seen pretty much zero sheets on the site in 2/2. would anyone else write this in 2/2?
[close]

Static

I'm getting a strong C minor vibe from this. The chords go all over the place though, so I'm not entirely certain.

As far as timesig goes, if you are notating the percussion in the sheet itself, I would probably go with 9/8 and label the subdivisions as being different. Not all 9/8 songs are necessarily in triple (like this for example), so as long as you label what subdivisions you're using I think it would work nicely.

If you aren't notating the percussion parts on the sheet, then I would either do the 9/8 stuff above or, if you want, put it in 4/4 but make sure the tempo is the same.

Hope this helps a little!

Edit: About that Great Marsh one, I would personally put it in 4/4 with quarter note = around 110, but cut time would also work I think.

daj

Hey, thanks for the thoughts, Static! ^^ Yep, it's C natural minor with the D-flat chord added in for flavour (there's a theory term for this, neapolitan 6th i think).

I quite dig the idea of notating it in 9/8, and in a similar style to the Brubeck sheet you shared. So thanks for the sharing, yeah :)

Oh, and for great Marsh, the more I think about your idea, the more stupid cut time sounds. I'll be scoring it in 4/4, hehe~

LeviR.star

I need to know what type of swing this song is before I alter the song completely.

This is what I have right now:

[MUSX]

Should it still be dotted eighths tied w/ sixteenths, or should it be eighth notes swung with this notation?

I have a lot of alteration to perform on this song, but this will come first.
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Olimar12345

Swing eights, as the picture above says.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Static

This song is just so weird:

It's mainly the time signature for the first 14 seconds; I have no idea what to put down.

However, I do have the other time signatures down I think, in case anyone wants to check them (starting at 0:14):
12 measures 7/8 (3+2+2)
1 measure 5/8 (3+2)
1 measure 8/8 (2+3+3)
5 measures 14/8 (2+3+3+3+3)
1 measure 5/8 (2+3)
1 measure 8/8 (2+3+3)
1 measure 5/8 (2+3)

Thanks!

Dekkadeci

Quote from: Static on April 12, 2017, 09:03:44 PMThis song is just so weird:

It's mainly the time signature for the first 14 seconds; I have no idea what to put down.

However, I do have the other time signatures down I think, in case anyone wants to check them (starting at 0:14):
12 measures 7/8 (3+2+2)
1 measure 5/8 (3+2)
1 measure 8/8 (2+3+3)
1 measure 5/8 (2+3)
1 measure 8/8 (2+3+3)
1 measure 5/8 (2+3)

Thanks!
Oddly, I find the first several seconds to be the most regularly rhythmic of the piece--from 0:00-0:12, I'm getting this:
Quarter-note pickup
2 measures of 4/4
1 measure of 3/4
4 measures of 4/4

...Though the start of the 3/4 bar isn't emphasized, the starts of the other bars are.

I lose track at approx. 0:13 (around the ascending A#-B-C# figure in the melody)--notably, I'm having a hard time finding your 7/8 bar right now.

Static

Hey, thanks! After listening to the song again, those times make a lot more sense to me now. I think you were pretty spot-on.
I'll try this out and keep experimenting with other possibilities. Thanks for responding!

Also, in case you were wondering, the 7/8 section starts when the bassline kicks in, although it can be a little tough to tell.

E. Gadd Industries

What Key is this? Also, could someone assist me with chords here?
"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

WaluigiTime64

D, then somewhere around the middle it switches to F, and somewhat near the end it switches to F#/Gb (it should be really obvious where that one happens).

I don't have time to help with the chords unfortunately, and they seem very tricky.
My Arrangements (All Outdated)
My Compositions (All Outdated)
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

E. Gadd Industries

"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

BrainyLucario

Sned hlep
need key sig and time sig for this

and the same for this

When given the choice between adulting and music, choose music every time.