News:

Using cutting-edge ray tracing technology, our sheets appear 69% more realistic than the leading bargain brand!

Main Menu

The NinSheetMusic Redesign Suggestion Thread: Site features

Started by Jamaha, May 05, 2013, 03:40:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yug_Guy

Quote from: Olimar12345 on September 11, 2017, 02:49:18 PMWoah since when do sheets take only ten minutes to check??? Sign me up, damn.
I mean, assuming I have this correct, we're really only identifying which sheets do or don't need to be replaced, right? So like 98% of sheets can be determined just by taking a quick glance and/or listen to them - the other 2% would need to be gone through in depth, which would be OK.

Also, if we ever get something officially worked out in order to check over sheets, I would be more than happy to assist.

LeviR.star

I'd think checking the whole site would take an overly long amount of time, especially for one person. It would be hard deciding on challenge replacing or editing sheets for most.

If we are going to do this, though, I think Super Mario and Donkey Kong sections should be taken on by multiple people. Most of the categories are so small I wonder why we have them, like Dragon Quest and Harvest Moon.
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

mikey

unmotivated

mastersuperfan

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Zeila

Quote from: LeviR.star on September 11, 2017, 04:20:57 PMI'd think checking the whole site would take an overly long amount of time, especially for one person. It would be hard deciding on challenge replacing or editing sheets for most.

If we are going to do this, though, I think Super Mario and Donkey Kong sections should be taken on by multiple people. Most of the categories are so small I wonder why we have them, like Dragon Quest and Harvest Moon.
Well for one thing, I interpreted it as how Yug Guy said it where most sheets that desperately need to be replaced are obvious after looking at or listening to it. And if we're only putting stars next to exceptionally shoddy sheets or sections where most of the sheets are like that, then we can assume that all of the sheets published after the rework don't have to be checked over unless it's for mismatched or broken files. In that case, checking sheets in order of number on the pdf page would be more efficient (assuming every single sheet is going to be checked)

I'm also willing to help out whenever I'm available

mastersuperfan

I want to reiterate that the stars would be placed next to the name of the games, not next to the sheets themselves. If you find one or two sheets of poor quality in the game's section then you would already know that it's not worthy of a star and move on.

(I don't think these "shoddy stars" for poor sheets are necessary either, since the absence of a star already tells you that not all the sheets for the game are of good quality. It'd also look kind of bad, imo.)
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Trasdegi

I think we can already put the star on some games, like undertale and dk64, than got an arrangement project not so long ago, it's already two hundreds sheets less to check

WaluigiTime64

Quote from: mastersuperfan on September 11, 2017, 05:33:05 PM(I don't think these "shoddy stars" for poor sheets are necessary either, since the absence of a star already tells you that not all the sheets for the game are of good quality. It'd also look kind of bad, imo.)
yeah it was kind of a joke anyway lol

it would look really bad

however having a NSM Audit for musical errors sorry yug available on the forums only would be pretty good maybe yug could host that as well, or put it as part of the same thing but again comes the whole site checking process
My Arrangements (All Outdated)
My Compositions (All Outdated)
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

Altissimo

Quote from: WaluigiTime64 on September 12, 2017, 03:22:05 AMhowever having a NSM Audit for musical errors sorry yug available on the forums only would be pretty good maybe yug could host that as well, or put it as part of the same thing but again comes the whole site checking process

I basically tried to start that project like two years ago but it fell apart

Anyway basically I think all you need to do is not look for specific music errors but ANY music errors so you can determine whether or not the sheet needs a replacement

For instance, I don't know how shitty Sloprano from Conker's Bad Fur Day is all the way through, but it's apparent from as early as measure 2 that the arranger didn't understand this was in A minor and therefore A-flats need to be G-sharps, and the key change is notated as F minor rather than B-flat minor, a half step up (which is what actually happens). That was one I already knew offhand, but you get my point when I say if you can identify one prominent or persistent error you really don't need to go through and check everything because it's already apparent the sheet needs a replacement.

But I already knew Sloprano had these errors, so to further prove my point, I decided to grab a random sheet by an unfamiliar arranger name (i.e. it's old enough it probably predates the updated submissions process and therefore is more likely to need a fix). Darkmoon Caverns from Diddy Kong Racing. Never having heard the piece before in my life, I can still point to the rhythms used starting in the middle of system 3 (the pairs of dotted 8ths) as a reason for replacement.

That took about five seconds. Typing the analysis of it up took longer than eyeballing it and realizing it needed a replacement for musical (not formatting) reasons.

Yug_Guy

Quote from: WaluigiTime64 on September 12, 2017, 03:22:05 AMhowever having a NSM Audit for musical errors sorry yug available on the forums only would be pretty good maybe yug could host that as well, or put it as part of the same thing but again comes the whole site checking process
I'd be willing to host it, but first I think we need something a little more concrete in terms of planning - how we plan on checking for musical errors, how many volunteers we expect to have, etc. etc.

(If you've got any suggestions WAH, feel free to PM me here or on Discord - I'm all ears)

Maelstrom

Hey, I like this idea. Maybe, instead of having intense notechecks, you can just have a few catagories it can be filed under, like:
Key sig issues
accidental issues
minor notation issues (beaming, etc)
major notation issues (doesn't represent original, etc)
minor melodic issues (few wrong notes)
major melodic issues (a lot of wrong notes)

And then stick with these and never go more in depth.

edit: Oh, and come up with abbreviations for them all, because a sheet with major melodic issues will probably have more than one type of issue

mikey

unmotivated

E. Gadd Industries

"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

Dude

KeY Signature issues

kys

This isn't helpful at all but I figured I'd bring it to light.

Dudeman

Quote from: Altissimo on September 12, 2017, 04:36:03 AMI don't know how shitty Sloprano from Conker's Bad Fur Day is all the way through
I just now noticed this grade-A (accidental?) pun

This isn't helpful at all but I figured I'd bring it to light.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book