News:

Be sure to tell your friends about NinSheetMusic!

Main Menu

The NinSheetMusic Redesign Suggestion Thread: The Forum

Started by Jamaha, May 05, 2013, 03:54:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onionleaf

I realise that this has been discussed a couple of weeks ago, but I'll add my thought anyway. An alternative to having post count stars could be reputation points, which is basically similar to giving likes to posts except with a bit more meaning (for example, adding a personalised private comment). Plus the more points you have, the higher your reputation power becomes (that is, you hand out more points when giving rep to others). I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about, it's all over the Internet in various forums. ;) This takes away the possible spamming issue that comes with having a post count ranking.

Dude

Or we could get rid of post count ranking if people actually spam.

Tho I haven't seen that yet.

JDMEK5

Or we could ban immature users who won't stop spamming. Post count stars is a stupid reason to spam no matter how old you are.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

Sebastian

Very good point, JDMEK5.
I like the idea some people had about adding more stats.

Onionleaf

Quote from: Dude on December 26, 2015, 03:22:06 AMOr we could get rid of post count ranking if people actually spam.

Tho I haven't seen that yet.

That's true, there doesn't appear to be any issues with spamming here just for the post count. :) It was simply a suggestion for an alternate ranking system. A good thing about rep points is you can quickly tell if someone has more useful posts when their post count is low but the rep level is high.

Aye, lots of interesting ideas shared already. If more stats/rankings are implemented, that would always be a welcome change. :)

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: Onionleaf on December 26, 2015, 09:40:09 PMThat's true, there doesn't appear to be any issues with spamming here just for the post count. :) It was simply a suggestion for an alternate ranking system. A good thing about rep points is you can quickly tell if someone has more useful posts when their post count is low but the rep level is high.
The problem is that rep often becomes a measure of popularity rather than quality.
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

braix

Good point, but when you get down to the center of it, this is basically the case with any ranking.
A system that would reward a member for valuable contributions to the site and to the forums would encourage people to strive to be better people, and would lead to a stronger community.
Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PM
Braixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

Sebastian

Quote from: braixen1264 on December 27, 2015, 10:17:46 AMGood point, but when you get down to the center of it, this is basically the case with any ranking.
A system that would reward a member for valuable contributions to the site and to the forums would encourage people to strive to be better people, and would lead to a stronger community.
Exactly.
Arrangements are more important than posts imo.

E. Gadd Industries

This whole issue is best exemplified in comparing me and BrainyLucario. As you already know, I have sheets on the site (around 5), while he has just submitted his first 2 sheets, both of which have yet to be accepted. He has more stars than me, even though he just joined rather recently, whereas I joined in January (although I was inactive for a long while). It doesn't bother me, but, and I think Brainy would agree with me on this, I do think the star system stands to be improved. An idea I have had has already been spoken by previous members, although it makes the most sense to me to have an arrangement-based system.
"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

BrainyLucario

When given the choice between adulting and music, choose music every time.

Tobbeh99

I think mlf said something about having achievements instead of stars. And I definitely support that Idea. Some other sites has that idea that if you do certain actions you gain certain achievements. In our case such achievements could be:
Submitting various # sheets, posting various # comments, replacing various # of sheets, submitting sheets for # of different games, starting a # of different topics, being a member for # of years, starting topics on different forums, placing high in an arrangement contest, being friends with # of people etc.

My idea I have is that you'll gain achievements, and these in turn will give you points that will later turn into stars. So in conclusion this will keep the star system but refine it so it depends on a multiple of factors rather than just comments.
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

braix

We could do a weighted system. Post count would be 10%, sheets would be 40%, replacing sheets would be 30%, amount of time since joining would be 20%, starting topics would be 5%, etc. (The math doesn't work out but you get my point)
If we implement a weighted system we could easily avoid people spamming by making new topics or by posting too much.
Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PM
Braixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

E. Gadd Industries

Both of those ideas are really good! Tobbeh, yours reminds me of a game such as Smash Bros. or Kirby Air Ride in which you have a whole grid of achievements where you have to do certain things to unlock corresponding rewards/awards. That'd be kinda cool to have, considering this site's goal is to arrange video game sheet music.
"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

BrainyLucario

It would definetly give people extra motivation to arrange sheets!
When given the choice between adulting and music, choose music every time.

Tobbeh99

Quote from: E. Gadd Industries on December 27, 2015, 08:08:41 PMBoth of those ideas are really good! Tobbeh, yours reminds me of a game such as Smash Bros. or Kirby Air Ride in which you have a whole grid of achievements where you have to do certain things to unlock corresponding rewards/awards. That'd be kinda cool to have, considering this site's goal is to arrange video game sheet music.

If you want to know, I took the idea from khanacademy.org, an educational site, where you can gain achievements from completing math problems, watching videos, get thumbs up on comments etc. Then you can chose which achievements to display, so you can chose the ones you're most proud of. The rest of your achievements can be viewed in your profile page. The difference from that site is that it has more options for what could be an achievements, from completing all kinds of problems in mathematical/scientific areas to watching videos of various topics. So I thought we could have our star system but based on achievements rather than posts. 
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh