News:

Rest in pepperoni, Mario Mario, 1981 - 2021
He will be missed by all, except for me! WARIO, NUMBER ONE!

Main Menu

The NinSheetMusic Redesign Suggestion Thread: The Forum

Started by Jamaha, May 05, 2013, 03:54:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikey

Could we possibly get more submissions into the NSM panel, like after say 5 arrangements you get to hold 3 in the panel instead of 2
unmotivated

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: Dude on January 14, 2016, 01:39:05 PMCan we merge double posts, that'd be awesome.
There are plenty of cases where this is undesirable, especially in the Story Telling board. It's much easier to just try to get users to stop unnecessarily double posting than eliminating the ability to double post altogether.

Quote from: Dude on January 14, 2016, 01:44:06 PMAlso, archiving topics older than a year.

Like seriously.
No, no, this is definitely not a good idea. Five years, maybe, but one year is way too short a time for something like that- especially if you have members who have a lot of personal topics (that they may be interested in using in the future) going on temporary hiatuses from the forum (or even in situations where users have topics that they update occasionally but otherwise don't post in often). This seems too catchall to be more helpful than unhelpful, I think.
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Dudeman

I think there should be an option to merge double posts, but they definitely shouldn't be merged automatically.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

braix

We could have a section where people could submit requests as a guest, because there's so many people that just make an account for a request and never log on again.
Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PM
Braixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

Dudeman

I agree. It would slow down the buildup of dead accounts and let the guests feel a bit more included even if they don't have an account.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Altissimo

I'd like to extend that idea to the whole Feedback and Requests sections. I'm sure there's a ton of people with stuff to say who don't bother making full accounts just to say it.

Dude

Quote from: BlackDragonSlayer on January 14, 2016, 04:45:39 PMNo, no, this is definitely not a good idea. Five years, maybe, but one year is way too short a time for something like that- especially if you have members who have a lot of personal topics (that they may be interested in using in the future) going on temporary hiatuses from the forum (or even in situations where users have topics that they update occasionally but otherwise don't post in often). This seems too catchall to be more helpful than unhelpful, I think.
because asking a mod to unlock and move an archived topic is so difficult

Quote from: braixen1264 on January 14, 2016, 05:37:34 PMWe could have a section where people could submit requests as a guest, because there's so many people that just make an account for a request and never log on again.
I feel like bots would abuse that though and just post shit stuff.

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: Dude on January 14, 2016, 05:52:09 PMI feel like bots would abuse that though and just post shit stuff.
How about mod post approval for people requesting who haven't signed up?

Quote from: Dude on January 14, 2016, 05:52:09 PMbecause asking a mod to unlock and move an archived topic is so difficult
It is when it's completely unnecessary to do in the first place...?
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Altissimo

Quote from: Dude on January 14, 2016, 05:52:09 PMI feel like bots would abuse that though and just post shit stuff.

Could be a "human" captcha like a picture of a passage of music with the question "What are the note names of the pitches in this passage? ex. EGABC"

mikey

Quote from: Altissimo on January 14, 2016, 06:14:25 PMCould be a "human" captcha like a picture of a passage of music with the question "What are the note names of the pitches in this passage? ex. EGABC"
well there ARE people who request music just so that they can listen to the midis
they may not know note names
(btw if we did that it would have to be baadbaf)
unmotivated

Altissimo

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on January 14, 2016, 06:25:33 PMwell there ARE people who request music just so that they can listen to the midis
they may not know note names
(btw if we did that it would have to be baadbaf)

those people are ones we don't like though :p

Trainer Ave

I think guest requesting would be a great idea. Just put in a captcha to prevent the bots and there you go problem solved.
YouTube Channel
Like hunting shinies?
Join my Discord server

Jamaha

QuoteAchievements, badges, etc.

Nice idea, and I'd like to see it implemented. Unfortunately it would be at the bottom of the TODO list at this point.

Quote from: Dude on January 14, 2016, 01:39:05 PMCan we merge double posts, that'd be awesome.

Apparently there is a mod for that ( http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/?mod=1523 ), but I don't really like the idea.

Quote from: Dude on January 14, 2016, 01:44:06 PMAlso, archiving topics older than a year.

I've never understood the point of a separate archive. I don't see a problem with the topics just hanging out in the last pages of the board.

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on January 14, 2016, 01:50:35 PMWhile your at it, removing old unused accounts. Look at the member list how many members there in comparison to how many active members we have on the boards.

Not really worth the hassle. It's not like we'll run out of server space because of those.

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on January 14, 2016, 02:00:38 PMCould we possibly get more submissions into the NSM panel, like after say 5 arrangements you get to hold 3 in the panel instead of 2

This is something to be decided by the updater team as they are the ones who know how many arrangements they can handle in the queue at once.

Quote from: braixen1264 on January 14, 2016, 05:37:34 PMWe could have a section where people could submit requests as a guest, because there's so many people that just make an account for a request and never log on again.

Lots of planning in progress regarding the requests. Ideally I would like to get rid of the request board and fix it with something more elegant. Still, that's probably going to take a while to implement.

Sebastian

Quote from: Jamaha on January 16, 2016, 09:00:27 AMNice idea, and I'd like to see it implemented. Unfortunately it would be at the bottom of the TODO list at this point.
I could put together a list if you wish.

braix

Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PM
Braixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.