News:

Spotted an error on the main site? Let us know!

Main Menu

Three Years of NSM

Started by SlowPokemon, May 09, 2013, 04:04:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SlowPokemon

So several days ago, on May 3, I hit my three-year anniversary of being on NSM. And while I think you guys I know I like it here, I would like to take this opportunity to reminisce for a moment. Here are few reasons that NSM is my favorite forums on the internet. besides Pokecharms MODERATOR NOTE: BANNED

You Helped Me Learn To Internet
When I first joined this forum, I was an obnoxious asshole. True, now I'm a slightly older obnoxious asshole, but my point is that I know how to handle myself better. I was at that stage where you think stupid jokes are hilarious and you overuse the smileys and post stupid pictures in response to statements and you haven't quite learned to internet. You all helped me change that. NSM was my forums experience, and I couldn't ask for a better one.

You Taught Me A Lot About Music
My first post was a request for four Pokemon music pieces. I didn't know anything about music. I played piano, sure. Pretty well for someone that age. But my ego was way too big for what I was, thanks to showers of senseless praise heaped upon me by my parents and relatives. I knew how to play songs. I didn't know how to play the piano. Thanks to a bunch of music majors and theory experts here, my knowledge of and experience with music has skyrocketed, and I'd like to especially thank a certain Dahans, because he is the one who made me get Finale. I don't think I would be the same person I am today without him.

You Are A Great Community
I came for the music, I stayed for the people. You all rock, seriously. I had never been familiar with the concept of online friends, brainwashed by the media that everyone on the internet is a rapist and you should never use the computer ever. That went out the window fairly quickly, didn't it? Everyone there that first summer is, in my eyes, "the original NSM crew," although I realize that goes back several years. It was during that first year that a lot happened. I wrote my first complete story. I met a lot of cool people (including people I'm still good friends with, such as Jub3r7, Mashi, Roz~, etc.) and we had a ton of fun using Tinychat and just generally being geeks.

You Are Hilarious
I have more inside jokes on this forum than I do with my IRL friends. The frivolity is |tone deaf| A+++++++++. Plus most of you have a genuinely great sense of humor anywhere.

All Sorts Of Crazy Sh*t Happens Here
I think it was during the winter of 2010-2011 that I first realized what internet humor was. This was, of course, thanks to two (one?) very unusual member(s) who went by the names Sipan1234 and TalesEXLife. Oh my gosh. Talk about weird. These two guys were allegedly Dutch and spoke no English, instead relying on Google Translate or something equally bad for all of their posts. As a result, each post only brought tears of laughter to my eyes. There were such gems as "I like stabbing is fun I enjoy it," "Are you on sports" and all its ensuing chaos, and of course the infamous "bow to the longest child ever." I'm currently campaigning for them to come back.

And--I can't stress this enough--You Are A GREAT Community
Even as my time here passes three years, I'm still meeting new people and getting to know the old ones. I'm proud to be a part of this forums, and I love every single member. Honest. I know there's a certain douchebag level to this forum, and that I am too often the one contributing, but overall it's one of the friendliest places I've seen in my entire time around the internet.

Finally...
I have no qualms saying that NSM is the reason I intend to study music at college. You have been great to me, one and all, and you helped me discover myself. Thanks for listening.

To copulate, I love you. That's all.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

FSM-Reapr

You? A douchebag? I frankly have to disagree

Anyways ilu2.

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: SlowPokemon on May 09, 2013, 04:04:20 PMI was at that stage where you think stupid jokes are hilarious and you overuse the smileys and post stupid pictures in response to statements and you haven't quite learned to internet.
IRL, I am a rather quiet person. The smiley thing is more of a habit picked up from my first messageboard...

And, as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words (usually...).
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

MaestroUGC

This reflection doesn't praise me enough.

Score: X/Y
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

Yugi

am i a good person

And where was the "are you on sports" comment?

JDMEK5

You've been a great colleague Slow!

Halfway through reading it, for some reason, I began to think that you were leaving.
I'm thinking everyone should make one of these when they leave NSM permanently.

Quote from: SlowPokemon on May 09, 2013, 04:04:20 PMYou Helped Me Learn To Internet
When I first joined this forum, I was an obnoxious @$$hole. True, now I'm a slightly older obnoxious @$$hole, but my point is that I know how to handle myself better. I was at that stage where you think stupid jokes are hilarious and you overuse the smileys and post stupid pictures in response to statements and you haven't quite learned to internet. You all helped me change that. NSM was my forums experience, and I couldn't ask for a better one.
Exact same thing happened to me here. I matured. A lot. Not just online but in reality as well. For that, I am also grateful to the NSM crew.

Oh, I also forgot this was actually an anniversary! Congratulations! I think. .... That's what you do at anniversaries right?

Aaaannnyyywaayss... Now that I'm all done being mushy and stuff, I'm going to say that I think this kinda stuff could actually go under "Feedback" as opposed to "Off-Topic".
In no way is this irrelevant to NSM.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

TheZeldaPianist275

That was really fun to read.  Happy birthday Sl- er, you know.

And even though I had no prior knowledge of this, I started chuckling to myself at the Sipan and TalesExLife quotes XDDDDDDD

Great to have you here Slow!  *gives a toast to more years of awesomeness*

MassiveMayhem

My 2nd year here just passed up this January. It has been such a pleasure meeting you Slow, you mean a lot to me. This was enjoyable to read and I'm glad you feel this way towards everyone and the site :)

I love ya bud <3

Arrangement Project? It's a maybe.

SlowPokemon

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

JDMEK5

I wanna feel loved! I'm gonna make one of these! :P
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

Roz~

This made me notice that I joined the community 4 years ago. Man, I feel old haha
I love you Slow, I'm glad I got to meet you because of NSM! :)
Quote from: MaestroUGC on February 13, 2013, 01:16:55 PM
Thanks. For a moment there I was worried, though. I almost needed to blow you.

FireArrow

I'm probably still too new to be agreed with you... but NSM is definitely one of the best places on the interwebz. Seriously though, when I joined nsm I had absolutely no arranging skill (I couldn't tell the difference between an octave and a 3rd) and now, thanks to you guys, I can actually arrange (granted, I still suck at it, but I'm improving thanks to you guys.)
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

GaryOak

Sipan & Tales...I also miss those two old bastards.

Sipan's youtube channel is quite active, maybe we all should go there and beg him to come back.
In Finnish hunting culture it is common for hunters to shoot everything that moves, sometimes even themselves.

Quote from: Saria
I love you. <3
Quote from: Bubbles
I love you
Quote from: Waddle Bro
<3 u2 Gary