Orchestral Video Game Suite

Started by Brian, May 14, 2008, 11:21:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HugoMeister

Well, we need everything, obviously. :P

Hmmm....percussion.....Who would be good for that? ???

Quote from: sipan1234bow to the longest child ever

random_goldfish

I can only do pretty basic things like bells, snare, bass, and timpini...but nothing fancy ...and I can doIrish folk drums...T_T...which really doesn't help...haha.
Mairéad Murphy-Irish extraornaire fiddles on the roof and where ever she damn well pleases. ^_^

Brian

I have AIM and yahoo messenger. I use AIM more often though. What do you guys use?

Finished updating the list. It's not that hard to connect the pieces together. Now my question is, how long can you survive? I also need to know what instruments does your school use (orchestra, not band).

Omg I'm looking at this list http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_game_franchises and there's no way I can cover all the "well-known popular" franchises.
Anyways to save time I'm going to be combining themes into one. This is very difficult, but it's possible. If you can do the same, then go for it!

HugoMeister

Well, I mainly use Irc chat, but I have an AIM. Check my profile for it. :P

My school orchestra uses violins, violas, cello's, and string basses. We only do one full orchestra song a year...sometimes....

Quote from: sipan1234bow to the longest child ever

Sirus

same here
we have a string orchestra
im on yahoo dont have aim  :P
sometimes on IRC Chat

killers4793

if you need drums i have some ppl who are pros at doing it and they will help

Sirus

besides percussion
were missing woodwind choir keyboard and plucked strings
by plucked string you mean like guitars,banjos, mandolin etc. right?

random_goldfish

I can do woodwinds too...I play sax and flute so I know the game. I'm in choir too so I know some of that trade as well.
Mairéad Murphy-Irish extraornaire fiddles on the roof and where ever she damn well pleases. ^_^

MetroidHunter26

I'm out of it right now so it may take A LITTLE longer for me to actually make the song. and I can't decide on wich Metroid song to do. >_<

random_goldfish

Hey...as far as I see it we got some time...so take it easy.

random_goldfish

I just finished an intro to a Zelda thing if anyone want to check it out.

http://www.mediafire.com/?bmmwdwytdcn

(Not fan of double posting but that's how the cookie crumbled...)

Brian

Damn. I keep playing LoZ on my piano. I like LoZ music than Mario cuz it sounds more epic :-\ I think I'm gonna do LoZ just to get it out of my head lol.

Anyways. I checked your arrangement out megan. Hmm, firstly be very careful with pitch range. The Horns and trumpet Bb are out of range. People love to place octaves for single instruments (like what you did with the horns and trombone). It really isn't necessary imo. In the future try to stay away from duplicating the same notes for every instruments or else it will just sound like a bunch of chords with a single melody line blaring at the audience regardless of what octave region they're in. Counter-melody are good. The thing I like about woodwinds is that they do provide counter-melody. Lastly make sure there are no collisions. The expressions are colliding into the notes and articulations. However this is only a rough draft so it doesn't matter, but in the final version it will.

It is ok to semi-compose something for your arrangement. It is suppose to be an arrangement, not a transcription.

Edit: I'm beginning to wonder if arranging a video game suite is feasible. I really do want to combine different franchises, but doing so will take hours. I don't want to tire the musicians or worst of all tire the audience out. Maybe we should make it at most 20min. I really dont know what's the longest time a general school orchestra can play. Don't want to go overtime.

random_goldfish

I admit that the horn part is almost at the top of the horn but it's not impossible...just not a lot of wiggle room...the trumpet part though...is no where near pushing it...I wanted the intro to be sort of pure and lavish which is why there isn't a whole lot going on...but I am going to add some glamour...I was just going down the "get my idea down first" path since it is somewhat composed. When the song gets going some parts are going to branch out but you can never have too much going on or the piece will fall into chaos...as far as the ocatives...I know...haha...but they will go away.

I'll worry about the collisions when it's clean up time at the end.

Brian

For those in band or orchestra, what's the longest performance time you guys have played without taking breaks? 20 minutes? I need to know ahead of time.

random_goldfish

New World Symphony's Finale...15 minutes at least.