News:

Found an issue in the Requests Board? Let Bubbles know!

Main Menu

Unpopular Opinions!

Started by Yugi, July 03, 2013, 08:59:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waddle Bro

I love XY for the incredible improvements and changes to competitive battling.

SlowPokemon

Which leads to another unpopular opinion: I hate competitive battling. It ruins the spirit of Pokemon for me. I don't want to feel guilty for using a "good" Pokemon or stupid for using a "bad" one. I just want to use my favorites and do the best I can haha.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Waddle Bro

that's because you just suck at it

MaestroUGC

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING? YOU'RE NOT HAVING FUN RIGHT."
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

FierceDeity

Half of "sucking at competitive battling" is not taking the time to get the right IVs and EV train, which is why I'm also not very fond of it. I love that X/Y made it so much easier to EV train, but getting the right IVs (and even nature, to a certain extent) is still annoying as fuck. I'm pretty sure the appeal of Pokemon games has never been monotonously hatching a fuckload of Pokémon.

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: SlowPokemon on February 10, 2014, 11:16:25 PMWhich leads to another unpopular opinion: I hate competitive battling. It ruins the spirit of Pokemon for me. I don't want to feel guilty for using a "good" Pokemon or stupid for using a "bad" one. I just want to use my favorites and do the best I can haha.
In a way, even though I've gotten into competitive battling, I still hold a bit of that thought, and enjoy using my favorites- that's why I went into NU (so that I could use Regigigas)... and I ended up fighting the most hilarious battle I've ever fought. :P
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Waddle Bro

Actually, the majority of sucking at competitive battling is the lack of knowledge about everything. A majority of people leave their Pokemon in thinking they can live a hit but nope. Or they don't know Scizor learns Superpower etc.

It only takes like 120 minutes maximum for me to make an excellent competitive 'mon from scratch, which isn't that long.

mikey

I don't care about IV's, they don't really make a difference.  But I use pokemon like Gardevoir and Raikou.
unmotivated

Roz~

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2014, 06:05:18 AMI don't care about IV's, they don't really make a difference.  But I use pokemon like Gardevoir and Raikou.

They make a hell of a difference if you play in live tournaments. They allow you to take certain hits and they determine how many EVs you need to invest in a stat in order to live/ko whatever you want to.

Quote from: BlackDragonSlayer on February 11, 2014, 12:52:49 AMIn a way, even though I've gotten into competitive battling, I still hold a bit of that thought, and enjoy using my favorites- that's why I went into NU (so that I could use Regigigas)... and I ended up fighting the most hilarious battle I've ever fought. :P

Last year I used Raikou and Togekiss on my VGC team. In 2012, I used Throh and Musharna, and won a free trip to Canada Nats. Yes, competitive battles can sometimes be about what Pokemon you have on your team, but the important thing is how will you counter certain threats?  I always use fun/my favorite Pokemon on my competitive teams, and I never do too bad at an event. As long as you know what you're doing you're fine.

Quote from: SlowPokemon on February 10, 2014, 11:16:25 PMWhich leads to another unpopular opinion: I hate competitive battling. It ruins the spirit of Pokemon for me. I don't want to feel guilty for using a "good" Pokemon or stupid for using a "bad" one. I just want to use my favorites and do the best I can haha.

The one thing I love about competitive battling is that it allows me to travel to places I never thought I'd visit, and I met a ton of amazing people as a result. Of course you don't have this "benefit" if you don't travel and only play at home... well not exactly, you can still meet people even if you don't meet them irl. But yeah, to me the most appealing thing is the VGC community, not just the competitive battling.
Quote from: MaestroUGC on February 13, 2013, 01:16:55 PM
Thanks. For a moment there I was worried, though. I almost needed to blow you.

Waddle Bro

Yeah, I've made some pretty great friends through OU too.

mikey

I don't like OU.  All the good pokemon go there.  (Power creep :/)
unmotivated

Yugi

Remember when Waddle went apeshit at me for putting Aggron in an OU team?

That was funny.

Waddle Bro

It was because of your usage of Aggron as a Metal Burster. Basically you had Cobalion who is ten times better.

blueflower999

Come on Yugi, everyone knows Aron is the best Pokemon in OU
Bulbear! Blueflower999

Yugi

- The sniper is easily the worst class in Tf2, as it is impossible to use right, and is too hard countered by Spies, Engies, Scouts & Pyro to be of any use.

- Terezi isn't that interesting of a character.

- Rocky II › Rocky 3

-Demoman sux

- Sir Thursday is the only good book in Keys to the kingdom.