News:

change da world
my final message. Goodb ye

Main Menu

Clanker's Compositions

Started by Clanker37, July 11, 2013, 07:25:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clanker37

So, due to my dream to become a Game Composer, like many of you, I've had a go at composing. Please note that I have had no education in composing bar jazz improvisation in school, so these probably sound like shit. I don't know. Please issue ear insurance before listening.

Anyways, presenting my compositions! Hurray

Generic minor song

Fast song

Icy Cave

Adventurousnessnessness

6/8 for luls

Hurray for Time Signatures!

I've noticed that my style is similar to Grant Kikrhope's, and titles aren't my thing. So yeah. There they are.

FireArrow

Wow, your songs are great. My only advice would be to work on your harmonies, they get a bit repetitive and uninteresting.

BUT YOUR 6/8 SONG IS AWESOME!!!!! GO GET HIRED RIGHT NOW!!!!!
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

Clanker37

Quote from: FireArrow on July 11, 2013, 01:59:14 PMWow, your songs are great. My only advice would be to work on your harmonies, they get a bit repetitive and uninteresting.

BUT YOUR 6/8 SONG IS AWESOME!!!!! GO GET HIRED RIGHT NOW!!!!!
I'm only 15 so a real job is a bit illegal...But Thank you!

FireArrow

Oh, haha, I thought you were older. Nonetheless, keep composing, you have great potential!

Jompa

Quote from: Clanker37 on July 11, 2013, 07:25:54 AMAdventurousnessnessness
Oh my God, the parallel fourths!! It kinda hurts to listen to, but in a good way.
Birdo for Smash

Ricky

Quote from: Jompa on July 12, 2013, 10:50:51 AMOh my God, the parallel fourths!! It kinda hurts to listen to, but in a good way.
Parallel fourths are perfectly legit. I know, I know it's one of the things that "should be avoided", at least counterpointwise but rules are made to be broken and if it sounds good it's ok.

@Clanker, what I'm trying to say is follow your ear and don't learn more theory than needed (avoid learning too much theory at least in the start, it will (maybe even subconciously) just limit you).
The "Fast song" (it isn't a song unless it's supposed to be sung somehow) is really challenging considering the fast movement of thirds and seconds in the left hand. Maybe it's doable but be careful so you don't make things impossible. Also another of the pieces thing is that you need to think about the reach in one hand. You can have harmonic 9ths (something many pianists can handle) but going for 10ths or further in one hand is really bad. There are very few pianists that can reach a 10th comfortably. In the Adventurousnessnessness you even have 11ths or 12ths. Don't expect these things to be playable unless you are expecting it to be a duet (either on one or two pianos).

Clanker37

Lol I made Adventuroues before I knew anything about cadences or stuff like that. I don't think I even knew about Inversions that much either lol.
Quote from: Ricky on July 13, 2013, 12:48:42 AMThe "Fast song" (it isn't a song unless it's supposed to be sung somehow) is really challenging considering the fast movement of thirds and seconds in the left hand. Maybe it's doable but be careful so you don't make things impossible. Also another of the pieces thing is that you need to think about the reach in one hand. You can have harmonic 9ths (something many pianists can handle) but going for 10ths or further in one hand is really bad. There are very few pianists that can reach a 10th comfortably. In the Adventurousnessnessness you even have 11ths or 12ths. Don't expect these things to be playable unless you are expecting it to be a duet (either on one or two pianos).
When I made these songs I made them with the intention of the sound and to get my ideas on to paper. I did not have the idea of playability in mind. Indeed in 6/8 I have a note spanning 3 octaves, which I sure you are aware, is downright impossible for a pianist to play without breaking their hand. If I did want to make a playable version I would of course take the prospect of multiple instruments into account.

Jompa

Hey Ricky, I never said anything that states otherwise, I only pointed out that he used them, and that the recognizable effect they provide was very heavy on the ear - not in a bad way even.
Birdo for Smash

SlowPokemon

There's just...no coherent way to follow the piece...
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Sebastian

I can't open them because I only have Finale 2011 :(
Are they for piano or are they orchestrated?

FireArrow

I like it, there's some great ideas in there, it could just use some polishing.

Ricky

What Slow said, kinda, try to make things more connected, integrated.

Clanker37

Thanks guys for your honesty and criticism! After some edits and cuts I present, Hurray for Time Signatures! 2.0, with MIDI for mariolegofan

MUS

MID

Sebastian