Black Key Glissandos in Finale 2011?

Started by InsigTurtle, July 18, 2013, 03:41:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

InsigTurtle

Is it possible, using Finale 2011, to make a black key glissando? Or do I have to add every note individually?

JDMEK5

I was trying to do this the other day... I think all you can do is write a glissando. I honestly think that's as good as it gets. Most players will slide down the black keys if the starting note is black. (Trying not to sound racist here :P)

But if there is a way, please. I'd like to be enlightened too. :P
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

Brassman388

Even as a musician reading it, I'm sure if you write it out and slap a slur and a label on it, that'll get your point across. It's a bit of work, but I'm sure a glissando in terms of how it's read is the glissandos only work on the white keys.

I imagine it'll just be turned onto an arpeggio just because of how much it would hurt. I'm sure you've accomplished such a task, but I've tried it and have been unsuccessful.

JDMEK5

I've done black key glissandos and I find them less painful than white. You have to turn your hand upside-down almost for it to work.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements

JDMEK5

Yeah, no. If you just write a glissando and the starting note is a black key, trust me, everyone will slide down the black keys.
I actually think that Finale plays it that way too. I was doing a song in Bb and it goes from the Bb glissando down the black keys so I threw a glissando on it and it sounded perfect.

My Arrangements

Olimar12345

You could always just write "Black Key Glissando" over the glissando. I guarantee that no one will question that xD
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

JDMEK5

^Except me. "What is this 'Black Key Glissando' garbage!? Black magic! Burn it with fire!" XD

My Arrangements

SlowPokemon

Actually it's pretty common to see "Black key gliss." on sheet music, JDMEK5. It works the best because there's no question as to what the composer wants.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

MasterProX

Quote from: SlowPokemon on September 07, 2013, 12:19:47 PMIt works the best because there's no question as to what the composer wants.

Yes there is. "Black key glissando?! Must be a typo... I'm sure the arranger wants me to play the white keys too... yeah. I think that's it. White and black keys it is then."

JDMEK5

Quote from: SlowPokemon on September 07, 2013, 12:19:47 PMActually it's pretty common to see "Black key gliss." on sheet music, JDMEK5.
Interesting how I've never seen it then. But whatev. I'll take your word for it.

@MasterProX: Finally someone who thinks like me! XD (Great minds think alike)

My Arrangements

SlowPokemon

I'm pretty sure MasterProX was being sarcastic.

or dumb
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

JDMEK5

My Arrangements