News:

Interested in contributing to the site? Give The Arrangement Formatting Guidelines and The Arranging Checklist a good read!

Main Menu

Difficulty setting

Started by atheneangel, September 24, 2013, 02:00:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaestroUGC

Please don't call me the best, that's a title I'm not willing to accept. Just say I'm your favorite, that's much easier to handle. And I would agree there are musicians who are farther advanced than me, there's always somebody better. I'm just doing what I like and if other people enjoy it, well that's just wonderful.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

SlowPokemon

Quote from: MaestroUGC on September 26, 2013, 06:26:26 PMPlease don't call me the best, that's a title I'm not willing to accept.

That's exactly the point. :)
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

mikey

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on September 26, 2013, 01:08:42 PMI don't think he's used to it :P
^^
      ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
HE'S NOT USED TO IT
unmotivated

Dude

Quote from: Olimar12345 on September 26, 2013, 06:02:57 PMHoho, you'd be surprised, slow. Not to nock maestro, but there are other fantastic musicians here (some I would say were on par/farther than maestro, though ranking people in this fashion is rather childish...)
hi

Dude

ThatGamer

This sounded like a good idea to me, for guys like me who are only grade 5 piano.
Quote from: Altissimo on August 29, 2015, 12:00:16 PM
Since I haven't heard from her personally I don't wanna be like "YO HERE'S THE CHATROOM OK"

KefkaticFanatic

Quote from: Olimar12345 on September 24, 2013, 08:20:22 AMThis has been suggested multiple times in the past, with the biggest problem being that difficulty is relative to the player. Unfortunately, I doubt we'll actually implement a system like this.

me irl
[close]

ThatGamer

Well then, why doesn't the player decide the difficulty?
Since I haven't heard from her personally I don't wanna be like "YO HERE'S THE CHATROOM OK"

K-NiGhT

Because we have more than one person downloading any given sheet :| and they're all at different skill levels. Something that's easy to one may not be to another.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on April 28, 2015, 06:48:06 PM
what are you doing stop making nsm a better place by spreading happiness

ThatGamer

KefkaticFanatic

You can go ahead and rate the difficulty of arrangements yourself, say perhaps in your own arrangement topic, but it's not a requirement and it seems too vague to ever be one.

me irl
[close]

ThatGamer

Alright. That's too bad. I guess I can try to rate them myself.

Pianist Da Sootopolis

I'll put in my 2 cents here. Coming from a classical background, the exam boards would put "levels" around all kinds of rep. Rarely were these ever accurate; I had multiple occasions where I'd go "That's only level ____?!" or, "How is this not level _____?!".
As has been said, difficulty is individual. I also disagree somewhat with the "practice even if it's too hard" somewhat; if a piece is truly beyond your capabilities it's generally better to go on a more conservative path to learn other pieces to help you with your goal piece. This doesn't apply as much to the kind of music arranged here, as it's fairly simple to simplify the piece enough, vs classical where you follow the score as written nine times out of ten.
It may help to put difficulty tags next to a specific score, however, that informs the player of certain technical problems that may come up in the piece (lots of fast octaves, big chord leaps, fast arpeggios, etc.), so that they don't go "What the #&%@? This sounds easy!" or something similar.
Take care all~
what is shitpost

Xaoz

Quote from: Pianist Da Sootopolis on February 25, 2015, 01:47:33 PMI'll put in my 2 cents here. Coming from a classical background, the exam boards would put "levels" around all kinds of rep. Rarely were these ever accurate; I had multiple occasions where I'd go "That's only level ____?!" or, "How is this not level _____?!".
As has been said, difficulty is individual. I also disagree somewhat with the "practice even if it's too hard" somewhat; if a piece is truly beyond your capabilities it's generally better to go on a more conservative path to learn other pieces to help you with your goal piece. This doesn't apply as much to the kind of music arranged here, as it's fairly simple to simplify the piece enough, vs classical where you follow the score as written nine times out of ten.
It may help to put difficulty tags next to a specific score, however, that informs the player of certain technical problems that may come up in the piece (lots of fast octaves, big chord leaps, fast arpeggios, etc.), so that they don't go "What the #&%@? This sounds easy!" or something similar.
Take care all~

I agree. Eventhough I just picked up playing piano, I already feel that difficulty is individual. So I think a really precise rating is nothing that can be achieved, but you can still give some general rating... I mean... If I look at some of Chopin's or Liszt's stuff (La Danza for example...), I know that I do not even need to start to practice that shit right now...

Quote from: Bespinben on February 03, 2015, 07:49:27 PM
I give the Bespin seal of approval to Xaoz's critique (^o^)=b

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Moreso, just giving an overview of the hardest components is a good way to warn people.
Also, there IS easier Liszt, it's out there! He has a lovely E minor romance that's quite doable!
what is shitpost