News:

All Hail President Bowser!

Main Menu

Difficulty setting

Started by atheneangel, September 24, 2013, 02:00:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikey

Quote from: fank009 on September 25, 2013, 10:21:21 PMThis
I agree with the accuracy in terms of recreating the music... If it is a hard piece, we put in the work for the stuff we love.
Very much so. :)
unmotivated

SlowPokemon

What all of you guys are saying is true, just remember that an arrangement is practically worthless if no one can play it. Accuracy is important, but it's also important to pick and choose carefully so that your arrangement is practical as well. As Olimar once said, this isn't NinMidiMusic.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

mikey

No song in the world is TOO hard for somebody to play.  The only factor is how hard they are willing to work.  Some people would say Maple Leaf Rag is a hard song, but I'm learning it right now.  It CAN be hard because it literally has a physical limit(your hands have to be big enough), but you don't HAVE to play the entire octave.  It's not necessary to play the octave to enjoy the fact that you're playing a hundred year old song.(maybe this post doesn't make sense to anyone else but me :P  Oh well.)
unmotivated

SlowPokemon

It's a piece not a song. And well, we're talking about different things. Maple Leaf Rag is a fine difficulty level. With some arrangers it's at the point where every arrangement is on the level of Chopin's Revolutionary Étude.

mikey

unmotivated

MaestroUGC

Quote from: SlowPokemon on September 26, 2013, 07:06:16 AMWith some arrangers it's at the point where every arrangement is on the level of Chopin's Revolutionary Étude.
I feel as if that was directed at me.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

SlowPokemon

Actually, Dahans. Yours are at least supposed to be virtuoso xD

Olimar12345

Lol yeah I was actually thinking of like three other people, Maestro. xD
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

mikey

unmotivated

MaestroUGC

Oh, so what my arrangements aren't good enough to be considered difficult?

Oh-ho, I'll show you all yet.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

mikey

^Makes the most advanced version of Palace Theme from AoL yet
unmotivated

FierceDeity

Ok wait, I'm failing to understand how the fact that every song is playable undermines the need for a difficulty rating system. I'm not saying we need one (I've always kinda not cared whether this one goes one way or the other), but saying that someone can eventually get a song by practicing it is like telling somebody who wants fruit that they can eventually eat some if they plant the seeds and tend the tree for a while (a shitty analogy, I know, but work with me here). Sure, we can all become virtuosos if we practice, but that doesn't mean we don't want to know whether a piece is going to be hard as shit or manageable when we're first starting off.
Again, I'm not saying we have to do this; I'm just saying that the idea isn't just easily dismissed by saying "go practice".

mikey

unmotivated

SlowPokemon

Why the hell do we need a difficulty system if we can just look at the sheet to determine the skill level? Jesus. It's just unnecessary.

FierceDeity

See, now that's a better argument. This just seemed like it had turned into a discussion of "why it's ok that sheets are difficult" rather than "why we should/shouldn't rate their difficulty".