News:

Up-to-date news?! Preposterous!

Main Menu

JohnK's arragnements

Started by JohnK, September 08, 2013, 01:18:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FierceDeity

Well, first, there are a few formatting issues. I know you just started using notepad and you haven't gotten used to it yet, so I'll cut you some slack :P
That and I remember Olimar working on some stuff with you in live feedback, but idk if you updated your current PDF with that, so I'll just comment on what needs fixing in the one you currently have linked, and if olimar already had you fix it, just disregard what I say :P

Formatting Stuff
(These are all pertaining to the formatting on your PDF)
-First, the title of the song should have quotes, and the title of the game shouldn't, so just reverse those.
-Second, "Composition by" should instead be "Composed by", as far as I know. Yeah, it's really minor, but I remember people making a big deal about it in the Fixing the Sheets project, so might as well change it. And as long as we're on that, I'd add in Hajime Wakai as one of the composers, as he also composed for star fox 64 (unless you have some way of knowing that only Koji Kondo worked on this song). Also, the whole line indicating who composed it should be bold.
-Third, the copyright looks good, except it has the wrong year. Star Fox 64 was released in 1997 (on all continents, haha)
That, and you're gonna want to add all of the formatting stuff that you have on your PDF to your .mus file, as well; but I'm sure you already knew that ;)
[close]

Musical Stuff
That's it for formatting; now, the fun stuff.
-You're going to hate me for saying this, after you just rewrote it into finale, but I think this would make a lot more sense if you wrote it at double tempo, and double note length (so, instead of the right hand playing sixteenth notes at the beginning, it would be playing eighth notes). This would make it a lot easier to read. If you were to do this, the tempo would be right around 140 beats per minute.
-If you pay attention to the rhythmic groupings, the melody isn't really in 4/4. I would rewrite it as 6/4 (if you were to keep the opening melody as sixteenth notes, definitely 3/4).
-It seems like you made a decent amount of changes between the PDF and the MUS file, but on the MUS file, the left hand starts a sixteenth note early; it should start on the beat.
-There's some weird beaming stuff going on in the left hand at times, but I'd change the note lengths/tempo/time signature before worrying about that, because a lot of that's going to change anyways.
[close]

I think I've given you enough to work on for now, so that's all I'll say at the moment :P Let me know if you have any questions about what I meant, and I'll be happy to answer you.
But please, DON'T GET DISCOURAGED! :D Nobody's first arrangements are perfect.
You show promise in your pitch accuracy. Not to mention, arranging Star Fox 64 songs is no small feat. Definitely a challenge for one of your first projects.

EDIT: Oh, and I just remembered. WELCOME TO NSM!!!

JohnK

Can't really figure out how to change it to 6/4 in Notepad. I'm guessing it's just not possible.

It is rather challenging to arrange this piece. Getting that left-hand part down is a freaking nightmare, in addition to the tedious repetition in the right-hand. But yet it's still a great piece.

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: JohnK on September 22, 2013, 03:14:43 PMCan't really figure out how to change it to 6/4 in Notepad. I'm guessing it's just not possible.

It is rather challenging to arrange this piece. Getting that left-hand part down is a freaking nightmare, in addition to the tedious repetition in the right-hand. But yet it's still a great piece.
I think, if you really need to, you can ask somebody with a more advanced version of Finale to help you.

This is the topic.
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

FierceDeity

You might just want to make a new piece in 6/4 and then rewrite it from what you have. I know that's obnoxious, but you have to (or at least I suggested that you) change the note lengths anyways, so :/
...Also, there's always copy and paste :D