[GCN] Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door - "Rougeport"

Started by Sebastian, October 19, 2013, 07:56:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian

Sebastian

YouAreNotATadpole

Hi!

I'm done finding all the notes, I'm currently transcribing them to Finale. I'll try to finish by tonight but since Finale is sooo beginner friendly, it might take a little longer. I will also probably need your help concerning the musical direction and the final look of the document (like if my clef changes are in the right places or if I use too little or too much of 8va and such). I'm posting the result as soon as I'm done.

Sebastian

YouAreNotATadpole

All right, here is my first release of the song, but there are still a few things to fix in it, so it is not final. For instance, I do intend to make the first part a little more playable with only two hands. Also, I'm not entirely sure about the notes in measures 42 to 52, so if you'd like to double check it, please go ahead. If not, I think it's close enough anyway.

[GNC] - Rogueport - Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door [MUS] [MIDI] [PDF]

I do have a few questions on Finale and good arrangement format, so if you could please help me out, I'd like that very much. By the way, I haven't had theoretical music lessons in ten years and I learned my music theory in french, so bare with me if I ask basic stuff or if my terminology isn't accurate.

1 - Since this song has two composers, I'd like to write their names on two lines and shift the rest of the charts (including the line "Arranged by...") down one line. How do I do that in Finale?

2 - I find the beginning a little empty. Is it okay if I play another voice the song but one octave or two lower than it is in the original song? Or should I stick to the original track as much as possible, by not playing that voice (it would conflict too much with the melody)?

3 - In the first measure, I'd like to start off the left hand with a full note and do an 8th not just before the second measure. Is there a way to do this without tiing notes in order to reproduce the full note, or without using another layer? In case there isn't, what is the better practice, tiing the notes or using a layer which adds rest signs in part of the staff? I have a similar problem in measures 18 to 21 (and some other places too) where I used two layers, but didn't know what to do with the extra rest signs.

4 - In measure 25, the last three notes should be played in a lower volume than the other notes (is implied the term for that?). I remember having seen notes written smaller for this kind of thing. Is that a correct practice, and if it is, where is that option?

5 - In the last measure, I think I might have a little too much going on, but I like to signify that the strange sound at the begining of the song is made again. Should I just write part of it, write it all and let the player decide what he/she wants to play, or commit to one playable ending that skips some notes?

6 - Finally, I noticed that some of my clef changes were preceded by natural signs (measures22 and 50), while others weren't (38). The natural signs only seem to appear when changing from a minor clef to a major clef, or the contrary. There are no naturals if the change is made between two minor keys or two major keys. Is that a convention of which I am not aware of? What should my clef changes look like?

These are all my questions for today, sorry if I tend to write to much details in my questions, I'm a little bit perfectionnist and I want to start off right. Thank you very much for your help!

Sebastian

Sebastian

Well, I guess I do have time :)

1. If you need help with this, look here: http://forum.ninsheetm.us/index.php?topic=481.0

2. If I did this song, I would probably stick to the original track as much as possible.

3. I think Im just gonna leave this question to someone else. Im not the best person to answer it...

4. I also am not sure about this...  :-[

5. I would get rid of those really low notes and about the strange sound (like at the beginning), I would just leave that out,
(unless someone more experienced has a better idea.)

6. I am terrible with key changes with a capital T! lol.  I would ask someone else more experienced (olimar12345, Deku, Fingerz, etc.)

I also recommend you go to the Live Feedback Thread. That is a very helpful topic...and... I would feel better talking about your arrangments in your personal arrangment thread (which you should make).

Hope this helps :)

YouAreNotATadpole

All right! I think I'm done! (Until someone points out everything that's wrong with my final version).
The files are in my shiny new arrangement thread as you suggested.

I still have one last question concerning submission : I checked what I think is the most recent submission thread, and the last post says that submission are closed. Must I wait for a new submission thread to be opened before submitting, or am I missing something? I also kinda read here and there that submissions could be made using the live feedback thread, but I didn't try it since Olimar wasn't online. If I ask for a review of my arrangements in the chat, can it be accepted automatically?

Thanks a lot, I think I'll finally have the hang of it after this!

Sebastian

Quote from: YouAreNotATadpole on January 04, 2014, 08:51:10 AMIf I ask for a review of my arrangements in the chat, can it be accepted automatically?
Yes! :)  Thats the great thing about the Live Feedback Thread!

And you will have to wait for another submission thread.