The "Who Composed This?" Topic

Started by Olimar12345, October 26, 2013, 01:04:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Olimar12345

I swear we had one, but I can't find it. Basically, use this topic to help find composer credentials for an arrangement rather than posting a new topic for each inquiry.

Tips for finding the composer info of a game:
-Find a wiki of the game. They usually list the game's composer(s) there.
-Search for a video of the credits of said game on YouTube.
-If the game has a sound track released, the website vgmdb.net (Video Game Music Data Bass) is an incredible resource that archives this information.

As for the topic, I actually need some help: Does anyone know who composed certain songs in Pokemon X and Y? Everywhere I check just gives me the same four names for the whole ost. I was hoping to try to narrow it down. (Hopefully JDMEK5 or Slow sees this :P )
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

SlowPokemon

Quote from: Olimar12345 on October 26, 2013, 01:04:44 PMI swear we had one, but I can't find it.

As for the topic, I actually need some help: Does anyone know who composed certain songs in Pokemon X and Y? Everywhere I check just gives me the same four names for the whole ost. I was hoping to try to narrow it down. (Hopefully JDMEK5 or Slow sees this :P )

I have no idea, but I'm assuming that Junichi Masuda wrote all the battle music as that's standard up to this point. The four composers in the credits are Shota Kageyama (as the lead composer I'm assuming he wrote most of the music), Junichi Masuda, Hitomi Sato, and Minako Adachi.

I'd guess that the official soundtrack releasing on iTunes in a couple weeks will have composer details, and if not, then the physical copy releasing in Japan definitely will. So it's just a matter of waiting a bit, I think.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Olimar12345

Alrighty then. Thanks for the help!
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

JDMEK5

Yep. Usually I just use VGMdb to find the composer listings, but those are off the soundtracks. The soundtrack for X and Y (be it iTunes or japanese copy) will have it I almost guarantee.

Although based on track record, it wouldn't be a horrible thought to assume that most battle themes were written by Junichi Masuda. Especially the most mainstream ones. (e.g. Wild Pokemon, Trainer, etc)

And if you really get skilled enough, you can tell who wrote a song by the style. That's right. The style. I've kinda learned to pick out Hitomi Sato's work. (Although tbh she's the composer who writes my least favorite songs from the Pokémon franchise for the most part)
From what I've noticed:
-Junichi Masuda's trademark seems to be lots of synths and strings. Often most battle themes and some other important pieces such as title themes, Pokémon Center themes, etc. Up till now, Junichi Masuda's been lead composer. But apparently Shota Kageyama's taken over that position. To which I say, "Great!". Shota Kageyama has been the one to consistently write my favorite pieces, and has contributed much. It would be pretty safe to assume that most songs were written by him. ("Most" meaning over 50%)
-Shota Kageyama's trademark seems to be all kinds of variety, but especially pieces with orthodox themes. Pieces/songs such as Champion Alder, Ending -To Each Future-, Route 10, and Goodbye.
-Hitomi Sato's trademark seems to be pieces without such a definite theme. Such pieces include Jubilife City (Day), Gate, and Wi-fi Connection. Instrument choice seems to be generally lighter than those used by other composers. (Marimbas, electric pianos, etc)
-Minako Adachi, as far as I've seen, doesn't really do a whole lot. (At least by looking at past records) Never long or really mainstream pieces so far, and a lot of fanfares and such.

The trouble with recognizing a composer by choice of instrument, (or even by the suggestions above) is that now in X/Y the soundfonts have been revolutionized. Just remember, these are only "maybe"s. Double-check when the soundtracks come out.

Some composers Slow didn't mention appearing in the credits that have appeared in the past Pokémon games include:
-Go Ichinose - Been around since 2nd gen. I'm absolutely shocked that he's not in X/Y. What happened?
-Morikazu Aoki - Been around since 3rd gen. Although I'm surprised that he's not listed in X/Y, I don't remember him writing anything really memorable. Or a whole lot for that matter.
-Satoshi Nohara - Arrived with HeartGold/SoulSilver. Contributed with every Pokémon game since. Although I'm not surprised he's not in X/Y because he didn't seem to write much at all..
-Teruo Taniguchi - Only appeared in B/W2. Not with GameFreak. Not surprised he's not around anymore in the least.
-Takuto Kitsuta - Arranged a handful of songs in HeartGold/SoulSilver. No original compositions, nor has he seemed to contribute to any Pokémon game since. Not surprised he's not here.

Quote from: Olimar12345 on October 26, 2013, 01:04:44 PMI swear we had one, but I can't find it.
Were you by any chance thinking of this?
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

SlowPokemon

Hitomi Sato is a woman LOL

And I think you need to give her themes a closer listen. Hers are better than most of Kageyama's.

I'm guessing that Ichinose's leave was based on something involved the Pokemon cries, since that's always been his main job. Maybe he didn't like the fact that they changed all of them or something.

BTW, Junichi Masuda hasn't been lead composer since Gold and Silver. Kageyama was lead for Black and White in addition to X and Y...but wrote nothing new for Black 2 and White 2. So maybe Ichinose is just taking a break for this game.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

JDMEK5

Quote from: SlowPokemon on October 28, 2013, 05:47:48 AMHitomi Sato is a woman LOL
I knew this would happen.. XD

Quote from: SlowPokemon on October 28, 2013, 05:47:48 AMI'm guessing that Ichinose's leave was based on something involved the Pokemon cries, since that's always been his main job. Maybe he didn't like the fact that they changed all of them or something.
Good theory.

Quote from: SlowPokemon on October 28, 2013, 05:47:48 AMBTW, Junichi Masuda hasn't been lead composer since Gold and Silver. Kageyama was lead for Black and White in addition to X and Y...but wrote nothing new for Black 2 and White 2. So maybe Ichinose is just taking a break for this game.
Right. I was thinking of Junichi Masuda being producer, director, and a whole bunch of other things B/W.
And yeah, it would make sense for some people to take a break. I hope that's what's happening here.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

McDucky

These are credited to "pierrotlunaire" "Kannazuki" and "Kana's Sound Factory", but that's pretty much all I know about the composers. Can't find anything about them.

Some of them I think are public domain tracks and some were made for the game.   

Trainer Ave

This is a topic for you to ask who composed a song. Please Google it before asking and check the In-game staff credits.

My question: Who composed the music for Clash of Clans and while I'm at it are we allowed to submit music from apps?
YouTube Channel
Like hunting shinies?
Join my Discord server

BrainyLucario

I don't know the answer for the first part but yes we are allowed to arrange for apps.
When given the choice between adulting and music, choose music every time.

Trainer Ave

Yes Dude. Link me to a 2 year old thread sorry that it wasn't on the first page. A mod can merge these if needed but i don't see the need.

So what do we do if the composer cannot be found?
YouTube Channel
Like hunting shinies?
Join my Discord server

Olimar12345

A good tip that Shado once told me is to YouTube search the game's ending credits. Most of the time they list at least someone there.

Dude

I'll I'm saying is there's a search bar right up there waiting to be used by anyone.

Olimar12345

Trainer Ave

the information wasn't in the credits
YouTube Channel
Like hunting shinies?
Join my Discord server