News:

NinSheetMusic is 1264 years old!

Main Menu

Connectable Keyboards?

Started by sunnydelight18, December 03, 2013, 03:34:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sunnydelight18

Um, hopefully this is the right place to put this. I couldn't think of anywhere else it could go.

Anyway, I use my full size computer for all of my music work because my laptop doesn't handle Finale very well, and it's a pain in the ass to try to use the mousepad for it. This means that whenever I can't figure something out one my computer, and I have to actually play it, I have to go upstairs to my piano. This gets a bit tiresome if I have to do it several times in one sitting. Plus there are lots of times that it would likely go faster if I could play it, but I don't because it's not particularly convenient.
Before anyone wants to call me lazy, I do have some very bad health problems that make it difficult for me to even move on some days, let alone make it up and down the stairs.

I'm looking into getting a small keyboard, preferably with a MIDI connector so that I can record straight to my computer, to keep downstairs with me. I was wondering if anybody here could recommend one to me, or at least recommend a reliable brand? I've only ever used a Yamaha and a Casio, and neither of them make the sort of keyboard that I'm looking for.

fabbemannen

What size are we talking? I'm personally using M-Audio's Oxygen 88 (there are other sizes as well) and I'm loving it so far, it's definitely one of the most price-worthy ones. Another one I considered was one of Yamaha's midi-keyboards, but I can't really remember the name.

If cash isn't a problem, then I definitely recommend one of Nord's pianos.

sunnydelight18

Size doesn't really matter. It would be nice to have a smaller one, but I'm sure I could find somewhere to put a full sized keyboard.

Nord is quite a bit out of my price range, but the M-Audio ones look promising. Thank you!

JDMEK5

"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

MadmanWithASax

I've got a Yamaha PSR-500 that's very reliable and relatively cheap. It's never failed me in Finale 2002.

MadmanWithASax

JohnK

I have a cheap Casio that I got for Christmas 12 years ago, which works OK for what it is. There's probably a gazillion of them in thrift stores all across the country that were probably only used twice. Sadly, my MIDI cable's on the fritz, so I haven't fired it up in a while.

Honestly, the thing that bothers me the most about MIDI keyboards isn't the sound (it's OK, although very bland), but the touch. Maybe it's because I learned primarily on an old player piano and a baby grand (both had stiff actions), but the touch of most MIDI/Digital keyboards always feels like I'm sliding on ice or slushing through mud. The lack of touch sensitivity is also annoying (it DOES do wonders for your accuracy, though  ;) ). I just need that feel of resistance to really play evenly. Guess I'm just weird  :-\