News:

You just lost the game.

Main Menu

Lead sheets?

Started by insaneintherain, December 29, 2013, 12:05:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

insaneintherain

I understand that NinSheetMusic has a massive quantity of sheet music already uploaded to the site for all to view, but why solely piano arrangements? I'm not too well-versed in the early history of NSM, so there may be a reason that I have not though of. NSM is a site dedicated to video game sheet music, but why just piano? Yes, it's true that piano is a very commonly played instruments, and arrangements are fairly easy to write for it, but why restrict it to just piano? For individuals like myself, who often use the sheet music on NSM as a basis for arrangements, lead sheets would be a better fit. For those of you who don't know, here's a lead sheet of a video game piece.

I can see why this would not be as good for some individuals. Not all people fully understand chords and how they work, so a direct layout on a piano arrangement would work best for them. However, for instrumentalists on non-concert-pitched instruments, lead sheets can be easily provided in transposed formats and are readily accessible without weeding through complex piano parts. There's pretty much no chance that NSM will completely switch to lead sheets, but I'd like to hear other's opinions on the practicality of this form of sheet music!

Sebastian

Personally, I hate lead sheets.

LATE EDIT: I changed my mind!

Dude

I like this idea a lot actually.

Although, just add it as an extra option for the default piano sheet though, I'd still rather have the site be 99% piano based.

insaneintherain

Mario, care to explain why?

Personally, I find them very open to interpretation and less restricting than a piano sheet. Of course piano sheets would be more commonly used, but lead sheets would be a great alternative.

Waddle Bro

It couldn't hurt to have them on site.

Olimar12345

I think the addition of lead sheets would be a great idea! Though, being lead sheets, I'd feel obligated to offer our content in the four most-requested transpositions (Bass clef, C, Bb, and Eb), in which case it would require more from the arranger(or should I say, purely 'transcriber', at this point)

Personally, I don't see a problem with expanding our library to any sort of instrumentation, just as long as we have quality content to offer and can find a logical way of organizing it.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Sebastian

Quote from: insaneintherain on December 29, 2013, 08:23:12 AMMario, care to explain why?

Personally, I find them very open to interpretation and less restricting than a piano sheet. Of course piano sheets would be more commonly used, but lead sheets would be a great alternative.
Well, I never really liked them...
By the way, you can call me mlf for short :)

Sebastian

I always thought lead sheets were lazy, because you only have to write the melody. And I really like sheets with the melody AND bass line :)

JDMEK5

Quote from: mariolegofan on December 29, 2013, 11:47:41 AMI really like sheets with the melody AND bass line :)
*whispers in ear* "Guitar...."

Deja vu. (Used to have a link here which now only results in malware)

What I had dreamed of was a couple tabs near the top of the site for the different instruments. So it would be like: "Piano" | "Guitar" | "Sax" | "Trumpet" etc. (Minus the """ of course)

Quote from: Olimar12345 on December 29, 2013, 11:02:37 AMPersonally, I don't see a problem with expanding our library to any sort of instrumentation, just as long as we have quality content to offer and can find a logical way of organizing it.
My thoughts exactly. And I originally jumped on guitar because it was the most common instrument in the world, and second in North America behind piano. But really, any transpositions for any instruments would be awesome.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

Sebastian

OOOHHH!! Yeah, Im all for Guitar!!!  Im so dumb  :-[

JDMEK5

Quote from: mariolegofan on December 29, 2013, 11:56:45 AMIm so dumb  :-[
They're called brain farts. I have them all the time. So don't sweat it.

But I think major transpositions as Olimar mentioned and guitar would be priorities.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

insaneintherain

Glad to see many of you are not opposed to lead sheets. If you guys don't know about "The Real Book', it's definitely something you should check out. It's a huge collection of jazz standards notated in lead sheet format, with minimal amounts of things written out, leaving a lot to the performer for interpretation. This format would work well for video game music! All you really need is the melody, chord symbols, and possibly some important basslines. This would open many doors for those who use the sheet music for solely the melody and are somewhat music-theory proficient.

Transposition of lead sheets is really easy, and only a few range issues need to be adressed.

Edit: Also, if you need someone to make lead sheets, I make them all the time, and already have quite a few video game lead sheets done already.

Olimar12345

Quote from: JDMEK5 on December 29, 2013, 11:52:11 AMWhat I had dreamed of was a couple tabs near the top of the site for the different instruments. So it would be like: "Piano" | "Guitar" | "Sax" | "Trumpet" etc. (Minus the """ of course)

It would probably make more sense to use the transpositions rather than the instrument names, since they carry across to more than just one instrument or instrument group. The Real Book does this.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Sebastian

I always thought it would be cool to have other instruments.

ANOTHER LATE EDIT FOR PEOPLE REVIEWING THE TOPIC:
We could have another board dedicated to these types of sheets.

insaneintherain

Quote from: Olimar12345 on December 29, 2013, 12:18:45 PMIt would probably make more sense to use the transpositions rather than the instrument names, since they carry across to more than just one instrument or instrument group. The Real Book does this.
Yep. C, Bb, Eb, and Bass clef.

EDIT: Also, just whipped this lead sheet up for Scars of Time. Would something like this work?