News:

Iron gates are a thing of the past! Now, you can access your yard with the all-new NinSheetMusic-brand Teleportation Technology!

Main Menu

Lead sheets?

Started by insaneintherain, December 29, 2013, 12:05:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dude

Ok, so what are you using to make these? It looks different from the usual Finale document.

insaneintherain

That was Musescore. Sadly, don't have Finale, and Finale Notepad wouldn't even come close to having all the features I need to get it to the formatting I'd like. I can usually do a very close mockup with the site's formatting and all that Times New Roman, but this is my personal lead sheet template.

Olimar12345

Finale can easily make lead sheets, though. If this becomes a thing, I could create a blank document for lower finale users to use that comes pre-formatted.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

JDMEK5

Quote from: Olimar12345 on December 30, 2013, 10:20:03 AMI could create a blank document for lower finale users to use that comes pre-formatted.
Why do we not do this for piano sheets? ???
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

The Deku Trombonist

We do...shows how much you read the formatting guidelines :P

Anyway, there's a link in there to a template with correct formating etc

MadmanWithASax

I also like this idea a lot. While Piano is a very common instrument, there are still many musicians who come to this site looking for arrangements specifically for their instruments. As a Sax payer, it is easy for me to transpose piano to sax, but not everyone can do it. I support this idea in full.

JDMEK5

Quote from: DekuTrombonist on December 30, 2013, 01:50:47 PMWe do...shows how much you read the formatting guidelines :P

Anyway, there's a link in there to a template with correct formating etc
Must be a new thing. I used to go there so often in the past but if one's been put in there since then, great.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements

Jompa

Lead sheets is a good idea. Unquestionably a helpful and good resource for musicians, and what's the trouble of it really? It would take less time than a complicated and reduced-for-playability piano arrangement, because if you already know the chords it's just to note them down, and the melody line is something you'd need either way. And with lead sheets, practically all instruments can play the sheet, without loosing some crucial part of the song (given that a chord instrument is at your service).
Much of the purpose of a lead sheet is to make the rhythm changes understandable for the performer, and also making it possible for chord instruments & bass to join accompany the lead, and also to encourage improvisation.
Not all songs are the best for lead sheets though, just like how not all songs are good for piano arrangements (mlf, I'm lookin' at you).
Lead sheets are a great way to learn as well.

I'm jazz, so even when I play piano, lead sheets are better than normal sheet music. Much more fun, often more mentally challenging, and more free as you can improvise over the same rhythm changes.

Oh, and I have this sheet here of Relic Song - which could be translated into a cool jazz waltz:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/75726060/Relic%20Song%20-%20Lead%20sheet.pdf

I usually write chords on my sheets anyway so I like the concept you're trying to introduce here.
Lead sheets should definitely be accepted on the site in my opinion.

Oh, and damn, it's nice to see there are more saxes than just myself!! ;D you're tenors right?
Birdo for Smash

insaneintherain

Quote from: Jompa on January 01, 2014, 08:16:53 AMOh, and damn, it's nice to see there are more saxes than just myself!! ;D you're tenors right?

Yup, tenor! Lead sheets are awesome :D

Jamaha

Sounds like a reasonable idea.

Before I promise anything, I'd like to hear some ideas in more detail on the presentation of such sheets on the site and things like that. How to separate them from the other sheet music etc?

JDMEK5

Whoops. That was my cue.

What I had dreamed of was a couple tabs near the top of the site for the different instruments. So it would be like: | "C" | "Bb" | "Eb" | "F" | "Bass" | (Minus the """ of course) (And a guitar tab would be nice too! (Pardon the pun!))

My Arrangements

Jompa

This site should never start doing guitar tabs.
Birdo for Smash

Maelstrom

That's what this site is for.

JDMEK5

The pun made a miscommunication. I'm not talking about tab. I'm talking a full-out classical style sheet.

My Arrangements