News:

NinSheetMusic is 18 years old!

Main Menu

Lead sheets?

Started by insaneintherain, December 29, 2013, 12:05:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JDMEK5

Quote from: Sebastian on March 09, 2016, 07:23:04 PMI assumed it'd be hosted here.
In the forums? Not many outsiders come here. Not many outsiders know of this secret place...

Quote from: Bespinben on March 09, 2016, 07:21:19 PMDetective Piplup will know if you used reference material. Everytime.
Well, I'm sold. Either way, it's the best we can do anyways so I'm for the idea as a whole.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

Sebastian

Quote from: JDMEK5 on March 09, 2016, 07:23:42 PMIn the forums? Not many outsiders come here. Not many outsiders know of this secret place...
The main site.

Olimar12345

Quote from: Sebastian on March 09, 2016, 07:25:03 PMThe main site.

Quote from: JDMEK5 on March 09, 2016, 07:19:26 PMI think that would take way more webspace than it's worth. And hosting a site ain't free.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Altissimo

Pianist Da Sootopolis

@Sebastian
What you'd need then would be a version of it in bass clef for cello.
I'm all for it and would be happy to do some; Lead Sheets are excellent sources to learn stuff from. That said, I'm not sure that everything here can even be turned into a lead sheet, but that's a separate discussion.
what is shitpost

Winter

I had an earlier proposition where every sheet on NSM had a base sheet (the ones already present) and then there would be a drop down where more versions of the sheet would be available for download or view. Versions could be lead sheets, duet sheets, orchestral, whatever the arrangers feel like making, any version can be added after the base sheet exists. this way, the main site looks the same as before until you click the dropdown. this prevents clutter and expends our library.

So you can get a feel, here's a quick mock-up:

Lead sheets would be an acceptable addition to the wide range of bonus sheets available.

Drop down arrows would only be available if a sheet has an extra version available, and it allows us to have a very attractive way of adding new content. Maestro's Virtuoso sheets can exist again, dahans can submit orchestral arrangements, ahs we can have Duets/Two Pianos, and many lead sheets while still organizing things logically.

Anybody in favor?

Nebbles

Huh. I like that idea, actually.
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

Olimar12345

I would love the addition of lead sheets, but not before discussing it's application to a pulp. For starters, lead sheets are diverse in that they are often offered in popular transpositions for common transposing instruments. To do this right, I feel that we should include C (treble clef), Bb, Eb, and bass clef, and if we're being generous, F. Your idea above works well for duets and other versions, but do you have any suggestions for how to organize these transpositions? I would imagine the easiest thing to do would be to list them all as separate entries according to their transposition, but that might be a bit barbaric.

Also, is there a way to have different transpositions for the same chart not bump the total sheet counter? Technically these will all be the same sheet, just for different instrumentalists to use. More later.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Winter

Definitely agree, it should not affect total sheet counter.

OR

we could have two counters. One for total arranged tracks, and another for total sheets including their variations

Olimar12345

Quote from: Winter on March 23, 2016, 07:21:17 PMwe could have two counters. One for total arranged tracks, and another for total sheets including their variations

Also cool, but the transpositions should still be left out of this too. Level 1-1 pno solo, lvl 1-1 C, lvl 1-1 Bb, lvl 1-1 Eb, lvl 1-1 BC, etc. All lead sheets of a single piece should count as one entity.

Winter

Either way, doesn't matter too much. There could be an option to select your key, for all I care :D

Olimar12345

This would also mean that each lead sheet would have 12-15 files per tune, which is a pretty big increase from regular things. Perhaps we could leave out midi files since they'd be exponentially more useless in that fashion.

Th3Gavst3r

Having a second dropdown menu from the download buttons might be a good way to indicate lead sheets as one entry:

Dude

In regards to the transpositions, that's a lot of extra files to host, is it really necessary?

I think just a lead sheet would be enough.

The Deku Trombonist

Transpositions? Give sight transposing a go. It's really not that hard, especially with something as skeletal as a lead sheet.