Swing using Garritan Sounds?

Started by fingerz, January 03, 2014, 06:31:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fingerz

Yeah, I just have a couple of questions/issues regarding Finale 2012a and its Garritan Sounds.

1. Why is it that if I use swing values in a song (so it swings, like Jazz), Garritan Sounds won't play swing! If I preview it by pressing Spacebar + Mouse Click, it swings, but if I play it properly, it won't! Funny thing is that if I change the sounds to the old Finale Sounds, it works perfectly in both situations... Help? XD

2. Finale doesn't like it if I try to change different sections of a song from swung quavers to straight quavers. It will allow that change to ONLY the first piano or top stave I've got but completely ignore it for the rest of them... Is there any way to fix this so it applies to all?

Thanks in advance! :D
Classical / Jazz / Contemporary
Performer / Arranger / Educator
Bb, A, C & Bass Clarinet / Soprano, Alto, Tenor & Baritone Saxophone / Basset Horn

JDMEK5

Quote from: fingerz on January 03, 2014, 06:31:40 PM1. Why is it that if I use swing values in a song (so it swings, like Jazz), Garritan Sounds won't play swing! If I preview it by pressing Spacebar + Mouse Click, it swings, but if I play it properly, it won't! Funny thing is that if I change the sounds to the old Finale Sounds, it works perfectly in both situations... Help? XD
I had no idea that using the Spacebar + click would fix that! Thanks! XD

Quote from: fingerz on January 03, 2014, 06:31:40 PM2. Finale doesn't like it if I try to change different sections of a song from swung quavers to straight quavers. It will allow that change to ONLY the first piano or top stave I've got but completely ignore it for the rest of them... Is there any way to fix this so it applies to all?
Yes, this does happen. You've diagnosed correctly. Solution: don't switch.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

The Deku Trombonist

Quote from: fingerz on January 03, 2014, 06:31:40 PM2. Finale doesn't like it if I try to change different sections of a song from swung quavers to straight quavers. It will allow that change to ONLY the first piano or top stave I've got but completely ignore it for the rest of them... Is there any way to fix this so it applies to all?

I think that's got to do with the type of expression you use (ie what category it is under in the pop-up window). Make duplicates as necessary if needed, move the expressions to miscellaneous and then add one to each staff (obviously hiding the ones that aren't necessary).

JDMEK5

The miscellaneous category does something special?..
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements

The Deku Trombonist

Not really, it just lets you attach those expressions to any staff. Tempo marking expressions can only be attached to the top staff.

JDMEK5

My Arrangements

The Deku Trombonist

spitllama

Isn't it free to upgrade between versions of 2012? You might upgrade to Finale 2012c Fingerz and see if anything changes.
Submissions Page
Currently using Finale 2012

The Deku Trombonist

It's been like that since at least Finale 2010 so I doubt it.

But we can always hope! :)

fingerz

Ah, thanks for that, Deku! I knew that you could make multiples and hide them, but I didn't know you could change their properties. I was getting annoyed at how they were only attributed to the very first stave on the page. I'll go and check that out right now. :)

Yes, I thought is was an actual program error with that swing using Garritan Sounds... I just counteract that by changing the sound to the old ones. I guess that's all we can do now, eh? :(

Thanks for your help, guys! :D
Classical / Jazz / Contemporary
Performer / Arranger / Educator
Bb, A, C & Bass Clarinet / Soprano, Alto, Tenor & Baritone Saxophone / Basset Horn