News:

oh god how did this get here I am not good with computer

Main Menu

No features this week

Started by Jamaha, January 23, 2014, 11:38:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spitllama

Or take requests if you're going to be that guy who doesn't actually do it.
Submissions Page
Currently using Finale 2012

Jamaha

I'm aware. Your comments are well justified. The reason I originally tried to do this, was to set myself a goal to follow. Without a set goal I don't really accomplish all that much. In this case the goal was too optimistic.

Where I went wrong, though, was misjudging the amount of time available this semester. I thought based on the free time I had last year that I could easily squeeze in a few hours a week to work on NSM. Yesterday I had to do my studies and prepare for work until 10pm. After all that, I'd just like to relax for a couple of hours before going to bed so I can actually wake up the next morning.

So yeah, I failed and disappointed everyone. I know that well. Had I not announced this and just kept it to myself I probably wouldn't have gotten anything done. I was hoping the external pressure would keep me going, as I hate failing and disappointing people. But as it turns out, I ended up doing that anyway.

SlowPokemon

I swear to god if people on this website spent half as much time being productive as they do being melodramatic and throwing themselves pity parties
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

KefkaticFanatic

Perhaps people have more important things to be productive at, yes?  You all should feel ashamed at how ungrateful you are towards someone spending their own free time on something you seem to take for granted.

You shouldn't feel too bad about a bunch of entitled brats JaMaHa.  They just aren't able to comprehend someone having more of a life (and the responsibilities involved) than just a web community it seems.

me irl
[close]

SlowPokemon

Quote from: KefkaticFanatic on February 13, 2014, 11:39:05 AMPerhaps people have more important things to be productive at, yes?  You all should feel ashamed at how ungrateful you are towards someone spending their own free time on something you seem to take for granted.

You shouldn't feel too bad about a bunch of entitled brats JaMaHa.  They just aren't able to comprehend someone having more of a life (and the responsibilities involved) than just a web community it seems.

Feeling ashamed has never really been my thing.

And I hate to have to correct a genius such as yourself, bin, but you meant to say "self-entitled." "Entitled" implies that we "brats" are entitled, whereas "self-entitled" implies that we only think we are. Don't feel bad; even the best of us need a vocabulary lesson sometimes.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

mikey

Oh Slow.

:-\

I wouldn't consider myself a self-entitled brat, but I'd always enjoyed it when JaMaHa posted an update on the main page.  It was fun coming here and seeing an update of peoples' arrangements and his articles that he'd do for anniversaries and holidays.

Why am I talking in past tense lol
unmotivated

KefkaticFanatic

I am EE, not English major.  That's what PR department is for.

It would be nice if you would at least try to read and think about things rather than immediately resort to some unrelated petty insults.  You do have to realize that not only does JaMaHa not *have* to upgrade the site for your pleasure, but he doesn't even have to be hosting it at all.  Everything put into it is of his own volition and taken out of his free time he could be spending relaxing after spending hours in the freaking lab.

me irl
[close]

Sebastian

Quote from: KefkaticFanatic on February 13, 2014, 12:19:42 PMI am EE, not English major.  That's what PR department is for.

It would be nice if you would at least try to read and think about things rather than immediately resort to some unrelated petty insults.  You do have to realize that not only does JaMaHa not *have* to upgrade the site for your pleasure, but he doesn't even have to be hosting it at all.  Everything put into it is of his own volition and taken out of his free time he could be spending relaxing after spending hours in the freaking lab.
I totally agree

FierceDeity

Quote from: Jamaha on February 13, 2014, 06:21:04 AMI was hoping the external pressure would keep me going

This entirely justifies making the claim in the first place, to me. For a site where people mostly come in search of specific pieces from video games, a little irregularity isn't the end of the world. Most of the people who actually stay updated on this stuff are forum goers anyways, and really, what harm does that do when we're all already accustomed to the way this site works? Jamaha, if this helps keep you motivated (and from the way the first two weeks went, it probably does), I say do it. Keep saying to us that you'll get one done every week. For volunteer work, especially, a deadline is always helpful, even if it isn't met.

spitllama

Ungrateful? No. You're misreading me. I am extremely grateful for the changes that have been made thus far. I don't see an speck of my comment that suggests otherwise.

What I am addressing is the fact that individuals make promises that they cannot keep. That's it.

Quote from: spitllama on February 12, 2014, 06:13:59 PMJust say you'll do your damn best and everyone should just be appreciative of what happens.

And honestly, with a site that runs on volunteers, that's all we naturally expect anyhow.

This was not meant to be condescending in any way. This is a site made from volunteers. I do not naturally expect JaMaHa to make an update every week. As I said before, it's idealistic to think that you will have enough time every week to keep up with things. Every update that came on its own time would be exciting and appreciated. However, when an expectation is made, that changes. All of a sudden there's a standard to be met.

@Fierce, as someone who creeped on this site for years before joining, I can vouch that there are regular visitors who come to check for updates and would be interested in these site fixes (as we've seen, they do not solely affect the forums). From what make a site look successful and professional, there are large differences between internal expectations ("Hey submitters, I'll have this new sheet update up on Friday!") vs. external ("General community and frequent visitors, you can expect an update every week").

So once again, there aren't enough "thank you"s to cover all the success that this site has seen and all of the updates that our moderators have created, etc. The thing that we need to rethink is the fact that promises are nonchalantly thrown around with no backing to them besides personal motivation. If you cannot meet the expectation, don't set it. That's it.
Submissions Page
Currently using Finale 2012

FierceDeity

That makes sense, actually, assuming that you meant "if you cannot meet the external expectation, don't set it", as that's the idea I gathered from the rest of your post. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're just basically just saying that the deadline should still have been set, just in the forums only, yes? Because if so, then I completely agree, that sounds like a reasonable compromise that still provides regular motivation (as is evident from this, even forum goers who expect it will still get frustrated at lack of follow through) without potentially harmful expectations.