News:

Download Finale Notepad 2012 free here!

Main Menu

Started by braix, January 28, 2014, 05:04:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

braix

Hi, I'm kinda new to the forums. I play piano and lately I've been interested in contributing a couple of arrangements(and maybe even more?) to NSM. :P But the thing is, I don't know how to arrange at all. :( At the moment I'm trying to arrange Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity - Desperation (Light Arr.) by ear, but I'm afraid that I'm getting everything wrong and that it'd be messy and sound weird (Wow, trying new things is so intimidating). Should I just quit on this altogether? Should I keep trying? If anybody can help a newbie out, it'd be much appreciated. :-\
P.S. Did I post this in the wrong place? Lol maybe
Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PM
Braixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

Sebastian

Welcome!
Dont worry. I couldnt arrange at all when I got here :) Im sure someone could help you :)

JDMEK5

Hey there! Welcome to NSM! (as mariolegofan said)

First off, I think you're a little too unsure of yourself. Be a little more confident.

If you want to arrange, do it. It doesn't matter if you can't; it comes with practice and experience. 3 years ago I couldn't arrange "Happy Birthday To You" if my life depended on it.
So if you want to arrange, don't quit and on the contrary, persevere. It'll come. I (and many others here) are ready and willing to help how we can.

We're a close-knit community here so you can relax. ;)
Quote from: Boston Pizza"You're among friends."
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

FierceDeity

Quote from: zoroark1264 on January 28, 2014, 05:04:56 PMShould I just quit on this altogether?

Well now, how are you supposed to improve that way? ;)

First of all, welcome to the forums! Beginner or not, new arrangers are always welcome here.

As for the quality of your arrangement, it's your first one, so don't worry at all if it's not perfect, or even if it's horrible. We've all been there. But, if you need help on anything specific, feel free to ask us, and don't be afraid to show it to us before it's a finished product!

One of the most common threads that people use for help with arrangements is the What key/time signature is this song in? thread; I think its purpose is rather self-explanatory :P

If you ever have any other specific questions about an arrangement, as far as I know, making another topic in the Help! section is totally fine. However, most people end up asking for help/receiving feedback in their personal arrangement threads. Go ahead and look at a couple, and get a feel for what the format is. Then, make your own, upload your arrangements (dropbox links are best), preferably put up a youtube link to the original piece for reference, and people can start looking at it and giving you feedback.

Whatever you do, don't be intimidated! Everybody has to start somewhere, and we can only improve through practice. I had no idea how to arrange for piano when I got here just under six months ago - hell, I didn't even know how to play piano (still don't, really) - and I think it's safe to say I'm pretty competent now ;)
Mariolegofan, too, has improved a shitload since he came on this site. Just ask him how much crap I used to give him on his arrangements in comparison to now :P

You'll be just fine, I assure you. Again, welcome!

braix

Thank you! To keep this short, I decided to go with what you guys said and keep practicing at it. Hopefully I can(fairly) good at arranging someday. ;)
Braixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

JDMEK5

That day will come. For now just try and we'll critique where it needs work and such.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements

SlowPokemon

Quote from: zoroark1264 on January 28, 2014, 05:04:56 PMHi, I'm kinda new to the forums. I play piano and lately I've been interested in contributing a couple of arrangements(and maybe even more?) to NSM. :P But the thing is, I don't know how to arrange at all. :( At the moment I'm trying to arrange Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity - Desperation (Light Arr.) by ear, but I'm afraid that I'm getting everything wrong and that it'd be messy and sound weird (Wow, trying new things is so intimidating). Should I just quit on this altogether? Should I keep trying? If anybody can help a newbie out, it'd be much appreciated. :-\
P.S. Did I post this in the wrong place? Lol maybe

There's only one way to get better at anything, and that's to keep doing that thing over and over and over, because you will eventually get good at doing it. Believe me. If you give up because you aren't good at the beginning, you don't have what it takes to do anything.

Quote from: JDMEK5 on January 28, 2014, 07:32:43 PM3 years ago I couldn't arrange "Happy Birthday To You" if my life depended on it.

Has something changed?
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

braix

Quote from: SlowPokemon on January 28, 2014, 10:06:21 PMThere's only one way to get better at anything, and that's to keep doing that thing over and over and over, because you will eventually get good at doing it. Believe me. If you give up because you aren't good at the beginning, you don't have what it takes to do anything.
Thanks, point taken.

JDMEK5

Quote from: JDMEK5 on January 28, 2014, 07:32:43 PM3 years ago I couldn't arrange "Happy Birthday To You" if my life depended on it.
Quote from: SlowPokemon on January 28, 2014, 10:06:21 PMHas something changed?
Ouch.

My Arrangements

braix

Oh, I have two questions:
1) I can't seem to find the name of the person who composed Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Magnagate and the Infinite Labyrinth - Desperation (Light Arrangement) Help?
2) Also I think I have the notes tackled down, but I don't know how to make it sound better and add change those "stand-alone notes" <(I don't know what to call that) How do you add those other note thingies? This is the extent of my vocabulary XD

Clanker37

1. The composers are Keisuke Ito and Yasuhiro Kawagoe. If you can't find the composer, credit all the composers that worked on the game. You can't be wrong
2. Do you mean articulation and dynamics? Like adding the different ways a note should be played or volume levels. Or do you mean harmony?

SlowPokemon

Ohhhhhh do you mean you have the melody, but no chords?
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

braix

Quote from: Clanker37 on January 31, 2014, 10:43:53 AM1. The composers are Keisuke Ito and Yasuhiro Kawagoe. If you can't find the composer, credit all the composers that worked on the game. You can't be wrong
2. Do you mean articulation and dynamics? Like adding the different ways a note should be played or volume levels. Or do you mean harmony?
OH, YES. HARMONY. xD

Quote from: SlowPokemon on January 31, 2014, 11:00:22 AMOhhhhhh do you mean you have the melody, but no chords?
Yes, I have the melodahy

MindaWolf

I am also a newbie. I wanted to know, what composing program do you guys like to use?

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: MindaWolf on January 31, 2014, 09:31:59 PMI am also a newbie. I wanted to know, what composing program do you guys like to use?
Finale Notepad: some arrangers use more advanced versions of Finale, but you can always ask them for formatting help if you don't want to buy those versions. There's a link to download it here.
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber