Previous topic - Next topic

What Top 5 should I do next?

Top 5 Baddies that make me RAGE
Top 5 worst Mario Kart 8 Tracks
Top 10 Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door Songs
Top 5 Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Songs
Top 5 Greatest Mysteries of Nintendo Games

FierceDeity

Let's not glorify grinding, haha. You can definitely have a sense of progression in an RPG without it. In an ideal RPG, if you haven't been running away from too many (or, let's just say any) fights, you can hold your own against any dungeon/boss assuming that you A: have come prepared (preparation not including grinding), and B: are good with your battle strategy. Granted, it should still be difficult to achieve this level of preparedness and strategy, but by no means should it present grinding as the only way to move forward.

Granted, I haven't played Sticker Star, and from what you describe, it does sound like it failed to provide any reasonable measure of progression. And if this is accurate, then this is a problem. Nintendo seems to have been trying to maintain the aesthetic of Paper Mario without just rehashing the same gameplay concept over and over again, and that's pretty commendable, but it's definitely hard to maintain aspects that gamers like, such as progression, when you're constantly switching up the formula. Though, I think they found a pretty nice middle ground in Super Paper Mario.

Also:
Quote from: mariolegofan on June 27, 2014, 07:17:07 AMAlso true, but there are Ultra Shrooms sold in a store for a very expensive price on the TTYD.
Ahem:
Quote from: FierceDeity on June 26, 2014, 08:55:39 PMit's kind of a fallacy to judge a game based on its sequel.

Just because things were a certain way in the sequel, which you liked better, doesn't mean that it should have been that way in the original, or even that it was a wise choice for the sequel. Personally, I went through TTYD's pit of 100 trials without any ultra shrooms, because again, the high price and overly high effectiveness makes the preparation more based on grinding, and less based on strategy. I don't want to blow all of my coins on godmode health, I want to use whatever coins I've found through the regular progression of the game to buy badges and more ordinary items, so that I can shape my battle strategy in a way other than "attack a lot then heal a lot".

Also, that fallacy goes the other way, too. It's a bit silly to judge a game based on its predecessor, especially when they're clearly meant to be different, as Sticker Star and TTYD are. A lot of your complaints seem to be "This isn't exactly like the Paper Mario RPG formula I'm used to!", and to be fair, it's kind of Nintendo's fault for completely changing the formula while retaining the name from a series that had, up until that point, simply rehashed the same game concept. But it's also much the fault of a grand majority of the fanbase, for demanding "innovation" from game developers, while ultimately favoring the rehashing method.

TL;DR don't judge a game based on other games, judge it based on itself.

Yugi

Quote from: FierceDeity on June 27, 2014, 05:43:24 PMTL;DR don't judge a game based on other games, judge it based on itself.
okay god sorry i didnt know i thought fallout 3 was the first one in the series
before you idiots ask. its because final fantasy started with 7

- Youtube commenter, 2011

Maelstrom

Quote from: FierceDeity on June 27, 2014, 05:43:24 PMAlso, that fallacy goes the other way, too. It's a bit silly to judge a game based on its predecessor, especially when they're clearly meant to be different, as Sticker Star and TTYD are.
How about Other M? It may have been a decent game, but it removed the core essence of the Metroid franchise. That is why it was is bashed so much.

Sebastian

Quote from: FierceDeity on June 27, 2014, 05:43:24 PMTL;DR don't judge a game based on other games, judge it based on itself.
haha. I guess your right

FierceDeity

Quote from: Yugi on June 27, 2014, 05:46:55 PMokay god sorry i didnt know i thought fallout 3 was the first one in the series
before you idiots ask. its because final fantasy started with 7

- Youtube commenter, 2011
hahahahahahahahahahaha

And maelstrom, I can't really speak for that, as I'm not very familiar with the Metroid series. But it sounds a bit like my point: people let their preconceptions of a series get in the way of what might otherwise be considered a good game. Not that there aren't certain "core essence" values, as you say, that developers should try to maintain. For Paper Mario, I feel like the main "core essence" for me was the aesthetic, seeing as its combat system was never anything particularly innovative or new. So, I was perfectly okay with the changes they made in Super Paper Mario (again, can't speak specifically for Sticker Star).

Maelstrom

Well, not to get too off-topic, but Metroid games have always been about exploring alien planets with little to no contact with other people. Other M was about Samus herself, and had lots of cutscenes with pretty bad voice acting, along with an auto-aiming gun. And team ninja.  :P

Sebastian

Sebastian

Anyway.....
Here is my first top 5!!!

Top 5 Mario Kart 8 Tracks

Remember, this is MY opinion not the gospel truth. And I'd really like to here your thoughts and disagreements :)

5... 

Bowser's Castle
[close]
I really enjoy Bowser's castle everytime I play. I love how complex the detail is from the exterior look of Bowser's Castle to the Giant Bowser pounding his fist into the track. I like there is a lot of turns and anti-gravity spots. It makes it all the more fun and challenging :) Probably the only thing I dont like is the music. I mean....really...a rock/metal song?? I want to hear pretty, even relaxing music while I race on a track (even if its minor or sad), especially if the track its kinda difficult. Even Wii Grumble Volcano and GBA Bowser's Castle 3 has pretty descent music. Dont get me wrong guys...I think the music is great...Its just a little to....electric-e  :P

4... 

[close]
Water Park is a great level I always pick on wifi when I have the chance  :P. Here Some cool fun facts I learned about it:
1. This one was based off of Pinna Park from Super Mario Sunshine. One of the obvious examples of this is that there are some Nokis watching.
2. This course is owned by Waluigi (Like Toad's Factory is owned by Toad). Some obvious examples of this are that 2 of the rides are based on Waluigi. The Walugi Sea Bed and The W Wheel.
3. The map of the course is seen on some billboards, pointing out the rides. There are also some other silly posters :)
4. The carousel ride (Cupcake things that are going in a circle underwater) has the merry-go-round music from Super Mario 64.

As I said about Bowser's Castle, there are many details that make the course great! I also really like the under water part of the level and anti-gravity sections. Makes it very fun to play :)
And last but not least...the music is pretty neat.
Water Park Music

3... 

[close]
Toad Harbor.......where do I start? This is a really creative level with trollies, store front shops, and is inspired by many American Cities. Like Water Park, there are many fun facts :)
1. You can see Princess Peach in the backround as Lady Liberty holding a Fire Flower in her left hand and a star in the right hand.
2. The trollies are full of Toads and all have a Koopa Troopa driving them.
3. This is the only New Level (other than Bone-Dry Dunes) that the Ant-Gravity isn't a compulsory.
4. This is also the ONLY new course that you dont use a glider.
I really like all the parts where there is 2 ways to go and all the ''secrets'' such as hopping on the tugboat to taking the shortcut around the buildings before the finish line. The graphics and details are top notch :)     

2... 

[close]
Yes Royal Raceway! Your probably thinking, "How is Royal Raceway better than Toad Harbor??" Well, this one was always my favorite on the N64 Mario Kart (and Rainbow Road from MK64). But when I saw how awesome it was on Mario kart 8, I jumped for joy  :P lol
Fun Facts:
 The sky is now blue with pink clouds, instead of just pink, both the starting banner and the terrace have been changed and there is now an area for a MKTV van. A ranking board has been added before the starting banner. The wall, which the racers drive around, still has red and white checker pattern but it now has some design related to Peach's castle. There are now swan boats in the lake, with Toads riding in them. The ramp now has evenly spread out five grass arches with ringing bells, which the player can hear when passing by them, hanging on them and the rails on the ramp are redesigned to make it related to Peach's castle. The long jump section has been shortened and now encompasses a gliding pad, which allows players to glide over the large gap and then land gently at the next section. There are a bunch of hot-air balloons based on Princess Peach, Princess Daisy, and Rosalina's dresses, similar to the balloons present in Daisy Hills from Mario Kart 7. There are also cherry blossom trees like in Mario Circuit from Mario Kart 7 in place of the striped evergreen trees. The road leading to Peach's Castle is now blocked off, unable to be driven around like in the original. Furthermore, the design of Peach's Castle and the area around it are now completely different from Super Mario 64, instead resembling the design from New Super Mario Bros. Wii. I think ALL of these changes were great and very cool! I especially like the Swan Boats and the cool bells that actually ring! But I do wish you could go around the castle

In all, the graphics are great and the additions really make this level shine!!

1........ 

[close]
You should of seen this coming guys! I LOVE Sunshine Airport. It was the first Mario Kart 8 level I ever played and is probably the reason I got the MK8 Bundle ( I probably would of anyway :P). This level also holds my favorite music of the game :)
Here are the fun facts of this course (some are really cool)
1. The European release date for Super Mario Sunshine (October 4th, 2002) is referenced by a serial number on some storage crates in Sunshine Airport (55402MS)
2. At one point a couple of the Koopa rock formation from Koopa Troopa Beach from Mario Kart 64 and Mario Kart 7 can be seen in the background.
3. This (obviously) references Super Mario Sunshine by the name and the Star Sprites all about the course.
4. At the finish, on the right a board can be seen, including names of other tracks, being among others Dolphin Shoals and Sweet Sweet Canyon. On the screens around the inside of the airport, a list of departures to other courses, such as Shy Guy Falls and Thwomp Ruins, can be seen. Posters of Water Park can also be seen.

All in all I personally think the details are the best in this level and is my favorite course of Mario Kart 8!

Thanks for reading Guys! I hoped you enjoyed it and will have more "Top 5's" out soon!
Please feel free to give comments, suggestions, criticism and more!
Good Day!

Maelstrom

Not bad!  :D I'd switch Mt. Wario with Royal Raceway, though.

SlowPokemon

I LOVE Mount Wario, Sunshine Airport, and Cloudtop Cruise, as well as the music from those tracks. Mount Wario probably takes the top spot though of those three favorites.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Sebastian

Quote from: SlowPokemon on June 28, 2014, 02:13:02 PMI LOVE Mount Wario, Sunshine Airport, and Cloudtop Cruise, as well as the music from those tracks. Mount Wario probably takes the top spot though of those three favorites.
Yeah Mt. Wario is good but I like Toad harbor better and I forgot about Cloudtop Cruise...

Sebastian

The poll will be done in a few days :)

Sebastian

Super Paper Mario
is an action-adventure RPG Wii game in the vein of Zelda II: The Adventure of Link and Faxanadu, among others. Unlike other Paper Mario games, Super Paper Mario is a platformer and doesn't use a turn-based battle system. The game fuses elements of 2D and 3D gameplay together, shifting back and forth between dimensions, once being described as a "2.5D" sidescroller by Nintendo Power magazine.

Pros
* Duel of 100 is a a very fun thing to do. There is even a save block every 25 fights
 * I think each Chapter is very well thought up and creative :)
 * I like that all the Shamans (Merlon, Merluvlee, Merlee, etc.) return in this one unlike in Sticker Star.
 * Im glad that you have an ally that has the tattle ability :)
 * The Audience returned :)
 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cons
* I wish there was Star Pieces in this game. I really enjoyed looking for those in the other 2.
 * A save block half way through the pits would be awesome or even right be for the 100th floor.
 * They were gonna originally put Shy Guys and Wigglers in the game. I wish they did.
 * Bowser, Luigi, and Peach should have been able to flip with some sort of pixl or something
 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Music: I actually like the music in this game a lot :) 90% of the music in this game is great
Some of my favorites:

Overall Music Rating: 8/10

Overall this game is a unique fun game! I played through this game twice and plan to play it much more :)
Overall Rating: 8.3/10

Sebastian

Ok! The poll is done
It looks like I'll be doing "Top 5 Greatest Mysteries of Nintendo Games"
Here's the order I'll be doing them in according to the poll:
"Top 5 Greatest Mysteries of Nintendo Games"
"Top 5 Worst Mario Kart 8 Tracks"
"Top 10 Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door Songs" (coin flipped  :P)
"Top 5 Baddies that make me RAGE"
"Top 5 Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Songs"

Sebastian

Here we Go! Hope this one interests you guys!!!
                                                                              Top 5 Greatest Mysteries of Nintendo Games

Remember, this is MY opinion not the gospel truth. And I'd really like to here your thoughts and disagreements :)

5... 

Lake Hylia's Monster Secret
Lake Hylia's Monster Secret
[close]
I am currently playing through Ocarina of Time. I recently got to Lake Hylia and noticed this scratch on the tree. I didnt really give a care to it at first, until I thought out that there was no Monster or anything around this area that could do this. So I did a little digging on the internet. Strangely, this scratch plays absolutely no role in the plot and no characters make any references to it whatsoever. It's just.. there. Some people have come to the conclusion that it exists to hint to the presence of a large beast nearby. This makes some sense because the island sits on top of the infamous Water Temple, home to the boss, Morpha. There's one small problem with this though, Morpha is actually a giant amoeba. Last time I checked, amoebas don't have claws, in fact, they don't really have much of anything. Aaand this scratch is NOT in the 3DS remake.
Weird...

4... 

"Marty" in Prison
[close]
Marty, the nickname given to this Thwomp by fans, is a Thwomp that is in jail in Bowser's Castle on Mario Kart 64. The weird thing is, it's green NOT blue like the others. Is it some racial slur? Also, in Mario Kart Wii, it's blue not green.
Very interesting...

3... 

Shiverburn Galaxy Ghosts
[close]
Wow....thes creepy looking...things stare at on top of this cliff staring at you for no reason. I did a little digging and found that some people looked into the game file. All they found was the texture name, "HellValleySkyTree". I....don't think those look like trees  :-\
Very creepy...

2... 

Human Origin
[close]
One of the greatest mysteries of all is: Where did Mario and Luigi come from? They never explain that. I mean, in some of the non-canon material (Like the Super Mario Super Show and the movie) it is... sort of explained. But never in any game is there any mentioning of it. The Toads and Koopas just accept these two weird little humans into their world without even questioning it. Peach and Rosalina are the only other humans in the Mushroom Kingdom... until it's time for sports-day
Then along come several other human-esque people, like Daisy (The weird sister of Peach that I guess lives at a different castle) and Wario and Waluigi. Then there were these weirdos that showed up for Mario Golf 64 (Plum, Charlie, Sonny, Harry, Maple) That you never see again. Aaand the Babys (Baby Mario, Baby Luigi, etc.) Baby Rosalina just showed up too!!!
Where are these humans coming from? Is there an unknown human kingdom out there? Did they find the same "drain-pipe" to crawl down?
I just dont know...

1........ 

Shy Guy Masquerade
[close]

Haha!! This is and has always been the biggest mystery to me: What is under the Shy Guys mask/suit?? I did a little digging on this on the web and oddly there is really no facts or really anything about this which also makes this a big mystery! The only reference in a game that the Shy Guy is "unmasked" is in Mario Power Tennis.
Here check it out:
It doesnt show him unmasked, but does scare the heck out of Luigi!
Well, I guess we'll never know  :-\ I hope the y make this a possibility though:
Paper Mario 5: Shy Guy's Secret for Wii U  :P

Thanks again for reading Guys! I hoped you enjoyed it and will have more "Top 5's" out soon!
Please feel free to give comments, suggestions, criticism and more!
I should have "Top 5 Worst Mario Kart 8 Tracks" out soon!!!  ;D
Good Day!!!