News:

New to the site? Introduce yourself here!

Main Menu

Mlf's Game Reviews and Top 5's!

Started by Sebastian, February 20, 2014, 10:12:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What Top 5 should I do next?

Top 5 Baddies that make me RAGE
Top 5 worst Mario Kart 8 Tracks
Top 10 Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door Songs
Top 5 Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Songs
Top 5 Greatest Mysteries of Nintendo Games

Sebastian

Welcome to my Game Reviews and top 5's! :)
If you have any Questions, suggestions, or something you dont agree with, just comment below :)
The Pros and Cons, and the Top 5's are my opinion :) So if there is something you don't agree with just tell me and explain your own thoughts too. I love hearing what you guys have to say :)

Completed Reviews:
Paper Mario

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

Super Paper Mario

Paper Mario: Sticker Star

Top 5's:
Top 5 Mario Kart 8 Tracks

Top 5 Worst Mario Kart 8 Tracks

Top 5 Greatest Nintendo Mysteries

Sebastian

Paper Mario: Sticker Star

* You can't level up
 * There is no Flower Points, Experience Points, or Star Points
 * There is no Badges, or Star Pieces
 * There are no uniques bosses
 * There is a world map to get to locations (I HATE this feature)
 * There is NO Audience
 * There is no Super or Ultra Hammer and you cant use it in battle without a sticker
 * There is only 55 enemies and 18 bosses unlike the others that have over a 100
 * This is the first Paper Mario game not to include enemy Tattles, recipes, Clubbas, Koopatrols, Crazy Dayzees, Amazy Dayzees, Gloombas, Frost Piranhas, Putrid Piranhas, Clefts, the Merlon clan, or Whacka.
 * Mario can't choose which enemy to attack if there are multiple ones; he defaults to the one in front.
 * When Mario's current HP is at most 30% of its total, the in-battle music changes to a "tired" remix of itself, replacing the alarm sound heard in the other Paper Mario games while being in critical health conditions.
 * This is the only sequel in the Paper Mario series where Lady Bow does not make a cameo appearance. (Lady Bow is my favorite partner from the original Paper Mario :) )
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 * You can get 9,999 coins instead of 999 (the only thing I like about the game lol)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Music: I dont really have anything to say about the music. Its ok, though.
Overall music rating: 7/10

Overall this game isnt very good and there is a LOT of great features missing from the originals.
Overall rating: 3/10

Sebastian

Paper Mario (N64)
Paper Mario is an action-adventure RPG video game for the Nintendo 64 released on February 5, 2001 in North America.

Pros
* I really like a lot of the bosses in Paper Mario. Huff 'n Puff, Tutankoopa and the Koopa Bros. are my Favorites.
 * I think Chuck Quizmo is a great character. He has you answer questions for Star Pieces.
 * The Dojo is a cool and fun place to go. I really like this feature.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cons
 * I wish you could save the game after defeating Bowser. It'd be great for getting all star pieces, badges etc.
 * Ultra Shrooms are scarce. A shop where they would be sold would be great. They really help in difficult battles
 * A Tattle log would have been a Great feature. Having a record of your enemies really spices up the game and is also challenging.

Music
Some of the music in this game could use a little more pop. I didnt really like some of the music, but 60% of the music I really liked  :)
Here are some of the songs I liked

Overall Music Rating: 7/10

Over all I really enjoy this game! It has a lot of fun memories within it :)

Overall Rating: 8/10

Other:
Rating: E

blueflower999

What how have I not seen this yet. And how has nobody commented yet.

Excellent reviews, MLF! I wonder what your favorite franchise is.  ::)
Bulbear! Blueflower999

Sebastian

Quote from: blueflower999 on June 26, 2014, 04:18:09 PMWhat how have I not seen this yet. And how has nobody commented yet.

Excellent reviews, MLF! I wonder what your favorite franchise is.  ::)
Haha! Lol....yes paper mario is :)
But I will be doing some neat stuff: Top 5's and other reviews such as Mario Kart 8 and some Zelda games

Sebastian

Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door (GCN)
Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door is the second installment in the Paper Mario series, with the first being Paper Mario. It was released for the Nintendo GameCube in 2004.

The plot of the game revolves around Mario, who embarks on a mission to collect the seven Crystal Stars in order to open the Thousand-Year Door. After learning that Princess Peach has been kidnapped, he also sets out on a mission to rescue her from the X-Nauts. The game has intermissions between each chapter, in which the player assumes the role of Bowser, as well as Peach, who have their own stories that complement the main plot.

Pros
* The Battle System additions are Great! Superguard, the Audience, the stage falling on you (lol),  stylish moves, and BINGO! are great additions to this game!
 * Paper Abilities are also very cool.
 * I personally think the graphics are really good and the detail on some things are top notch!
 * I like the intermission where you get to control Peach and also Bowser.
 * The Trouble Center is a great thing that I really like that should of been in the Original Paper Mario.
 * Aaaaand the Pit of 100 Trials.....which is kinda Hard  :P

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Cons
 * A Save Block about Floor 70 or even right before you take Bonetail in the Pit of 100 Trials would be great.
 * Bonetail is so darn hard especially for how long it takes you to get through the Pit. Him being easier would help.
 * There are a LOT of Glitches that should of been changed that weren't.
 * Someone like Chuck Quizmo from Paper Mario would of been nice.
 * A minigame in the Pianta Parlor where you can fight the Bosses (Hooktail, Cortez, Shadow Queen etc.) would of been fun. But you could only play after REALLY defeating them. And you'd have to pay, of course.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Music:
Some (not many) of the Music in this Game is kind of annoying, but is mostly Great!
Here are some of my favorites:

Overall Music Rating: 8/10

Overall this game is Fantastic! Definetly one of my favorite games! :)
Overall Rating: 9.1/10

Other:
Rating: E

Waddle Bro

FierceDeity

Quote from: Waddle Bro on June 26, 2014, 04:51:39 PMi read it milf

Same. My god, capitalization makes all the difference

Quote from: mariolegofan on June 26, 2014, 03:54:44 PMPaper Mario (N64)
Overall Music Rating: 7/10

Wait
This is a really low score for a soundtrack you literally started an arrangement project for hahahahahahaha

Quote from: mariolegofan on June 26, 2014, 03:54:44 PM* A Tattle log would have been a Great feature. Having a record of your enemies really spices up the game and is also challenging.

I mean, this is true, but it's kind of a fallacy to judge a game based on its sequel. Had you made this review without having played TTYD, you wouldn't have had this complaint. People who play Skyrim first will likely be far less fond of its predecessors in the Elder Scrolls series, but that doesn't mean that they were bad games, or even worse than Skyrim, necessarily. You'll only notice a lack in something once you're familiar with its presence.

Quote from: mariolegofan on June 26, 2014, 03:54:44 PM* I wish you could save the game after defeating Bowser. It'd be great for getting all star pieces, badges etc.

Doesn't every character go back to their respective "home" at the end of the game? It's hard to justify keeping Mario's partners with him for post-game stuff, story-wise, when everything's already been resolved. Also, that'd mean they have to create post-game content that adjusts the zones and dialogue in respect to Bowser's defeat, and not that many people would end up experiencing this post-game content.

Quote from: mariolegofan on June 26, 2014, 03:54:44 PM* Ultra Shrooms are scarce. A shop where they would be sold would be great. They really help in difficult battles

I mean, makers of RPG style-combat games have some tough decisions to make. They often have to balance things out between strategy, i.e. things up to the player's battle-specific decisions, and grinding, i.e. killing and/or doing a bunch of stuff to gain experience and/or money, in order to make your party more viable for combat. If they had Ultra Shrooms sold somewhere, that'd make survivability too easy, and diminish the importance of other survival tactics present in the gameplay. If they raised the price to make it hard to access, that'd just reward grinding a lot more. I think in this situation, they favored strategy, making you conserve your scarce ultra shrooms for when it really counts. It's like the master ball in Pokemon (although both less rare and less helpful); if master balls were sold at stores, rather than just having a single one found in each game, then it'd take away the challenge and strategy of capturing pokemon, and shift the focus toward farming money in order to buy more master balls. Their job as game designers is to give us a taste of godmode, and make us use it sparingly, rather than unrestricted access to it.

/endrant

Still, nice reviews.

mikey

Quote from: FierceDeity on June 26, 2014, 08:55:39 PM~snip~
Just so you know there isn't only ONE master ball in pokemon
The lottery gives em out sometimes

...yes that's all i noticed
unmotivated

The Deku Trombonist

Am I the only one who read "Mini Game Reviews" and expected something Mario Party-related?

Sebastian

Quote from: FierceDeity on June 26, 2014, 08:55:39 PMWait
This is a really low score for a soundtrack you literally started an arrangement project for hahahahahahaha
Yeah. TTYD is better after listening to it.

Quote from: FierceDeity on June 26, 2014, 08:55:39 PMI mean, this is true, but it's kind of a fallacy to judge a game based on its sequel. Had you made this review without having played TTYD, you wouldn't have had this complaint. People who play Skyrim first will likely be far less fond of its predecessors in the Elder Scrolls series, but that doesn't mean that they were bad games, or even worse than Skyrim, necessarily. You'll only notice a lack in something once you're familiar with its presence.

Very True.....
Quote from: FierceDeity on June 26, 2014, 08:55:39 PMDoesn't every character go back to their respective "home" at the end of the game? It's hard to justify keeping Mario's partners with him for post-game stuff, story-wise, when everything's already been resolved. Also, that'd mean they have to create post-game content that adjusts the zones and dialogue in respect to Bowser's defeat, and not that many people would end up experiencing this post-game content.

They also go back to thir home on TTYD. After you fight bowser, it goes through all the end cutscenes, and credits, you still have to fight him again after you turn your console back on.

Sebastian

Quote from: FierceDeity on June 26, 2014, 08:55:39 PMI mean, makers of RPG style-combat games have some tough decisions to make. They often have to balance things out between strategy, i.e. things up to the player's battle-specific decisions, and grinding, i.e. killing and/or doing a bunch of stuff to gain experience and/or money, in order to make your party more viable for combat. If they had Ultra Shrooms sold somewhere, that'd make survivability too easy, and diminish the importance of other survival tactics present in the gameplay. If they raised the price to make it hard to access, that'd just reward grinding a lot more. I think in this situation, they favored strategy, making you conserve your scarce ultra shrooms for when it really counts. It's like the master ball in Pokemon (although both less rare and less helpful); if master balls were sold at stores, rather than just having a single one found in each game, then it'd take away the challenge and strategy of capturing pokemon, and shift the focus toward farming money in order to buy more master balls. Their job as game designers is to give us a taste of godmode, and make us use it sparingly, rather than unrestricted access to it.
Also true, but there are Ultra Shrooms sold in a store for a very expensive price on the TTYD. But TTYD is much harder than Paper Mario 64. Paper Mario is fairly simple to me.
Order of easiest to hardness to me:
Super Paper Mario
Paper Mario
Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

By the way I'm gonna be redoing SPM Review...

Olimar12345

Quote from: DekuTrombonist on June 27, 2014, 03:20:31 AMAm I the only one who read "Mini Game Reviews" and expected something Mario Party-related?

Glad it wasn't just me!
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Yugi

Maelstrom

Quote from: Yugi on June 27, 2014, 04:03:51 PM
Quote from: mariolegofan* You can't level up
I don't see how this is a problem.
It gives no feel of progression. In an RPG, you can see your stats rise and tell the difference in battle, like when you might fight a weak enemy while backtracking, and it does no damage and you do way more than a insta-KO. In this game, your basic stats never rise, you only get access to more stickers which are still a limited resource. And you don't get that satisfying feeling of beating a boss that wiped you out after grinding a few levels.