News:

Interested in contributing to the site? Give The Arrangement Formatting Guidelines and The Arranging Checklist a good read!

Main Menu

Suggestions for Sheet Music

Started by Sebastian, February 28, 2014, 08:28:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian

Hey Guys!
I just wanted to make a couple suggestions for sheet music.

Tempo Marking Word
I noticed on some of the sheets that there is a word (example: Modereto, Lively, Mournful, etc.) by the tempo marking.
I think this is very helpful in setting the mood of the song and how it should be played. I also think this should be required on all sheets from now on. What do you think Deku? Moderators? Other Arrangers? Oh and here is a list of them.

Finger Numbers
What do you guys think about these? I think they can sometimes be helpful and sometimes just down right annoying.

Tell me what you think of my suggestions :) Especially the Tempo Marking Word (Is there another name for that?)

JDMEK5

Quote from: mariolegofan on February 28, 2014, 08:28:11 AMTempo Marking Word
I noticed on some of the sheets that there is a word (example: Modereto, Lively, Mournful, etc.) by the tempo marking.
I think this is very helpful in setting the mood of the song and how it should be played. I also think this should be required on all sheets from now on. What do you think Deku? Moderators? Other Arrangers? Oh and here is a list of them.
These are helpful no doubt, and I enjoy using them, but not for a second do I think they should become mandatory. No way. Furthermore, for more contemporary sheet music, pretty much any word/short phrase in english will do even.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

McDucky

I don't think adding expression markings should be mandatory. Some pieces don't even have a clear style.

Sebastian

I guess.
It is nice though.....and isnt very hard to do  ::)

FierceDeity

While an arrangement is ideally written for somebody who has never seen nor heard the piece before, I think it's safe to say that most people downloading an arrangement from the site is already familiar with the piece; that's why they want to play it. So, if the text is meant to indicate the proper expression/tone/whatever of the piece, it's likely that the player is already familiar with it. It's also interpreted differently by different players (the amount of people who misinterpret "allegro" from its actual definition is baffling), and so I wouldn't really consider it necessary.

Not that you can't still put it if you want. But I think we should be hesitant to add another mandatory formatting rule for the updaters to have to constantly remind everybody about...

JDMEK5

Quote from: FierceDeity on March 14, 2014, 03:33:45 PMBut I think we should be hesitant to add another mandatory formatting rule for the updaters to have to constantly remind everybody about...
No. Not mandatory. No discussion on the matter either. That's that.

It's a neat perk and something I like to do relatively often for the sake of making the sheet look all the more professional, but it should/will never become mandatory.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements

Sebastian

Quote from: JDMEK5 on March 14, 2014, 08:08:22 PMNo. Not mandatory. No discussion on the matter either. That's that.

It's a neat perk and something I like to do relatively often for the sake of making the sheet look all the more professional, but it should/will never become mandatory.
Ok then

Just a suggestion :) but I will be putting them on most of my sheets

MaestroUGC

I always use tempo markings. Then again I tend to arrange in a way that greatly differs from a standard transcription. Really, all you need for a proper sheet is a bpm marking, at least for our purposes here.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

JDMEK5

Be sure to not get me wrong here, guys. Expressive text is amazing and I use it almost always just because it's fun and awesome. I'm just saying they shouldn't be required. They aren't always applicable.

My Arrangements

SlowPokemon

Metronome markings are mandatory, as they should be. Expressive texts are highly recommended, but I suppose they shouldn't be mandatory.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Sebastian

Quote from: SlowPokemon on March 17, 2014, 08:28:44 AMMetronome markings are mandatory, as they should be. Expressive texts are highly recommended, but I suppose they shouldn't be mandatory.
I totally agree. :)