Maelstrom's Arrangements - 8th Anniversary - Xeno Suprise

Started by Maelstrom, April 09, 2014, 12:33:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you want to see more arrangements of?

Fire Emblem
2 (11.1%)
Touhou
1 (5.6%)
Weird stuff
8 (44.4%)
This poll doesn't matter because maelstrom will just arrange weird stuff anyway
13 (72.2%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Bespinben

You spelled everything right for the most part!

*M. 33-36 is just a transition period for modulating from B minor to C minor. So omit the key signature change and keep it in B minor until m. 37.
*In conjunction, this will help m. 36 make more sense. Spelling the G# in the bass as Ab, and respell the RH accordingly by spelling with flats instead of sharps (ex: beat 1 would be F-Ab --> E-G)
*One more thought ~ The RH in m. 1-16 get really low in the Treble clef. I'm seeing 4 or 5 ledger lines below the staff sometimes. Play around with cross-staving and/or clef changes to remedy this.
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Maelstrom

Fixed.
Quote from: Bespinben on June 23, 2015, 11:59:53 AM*One more thought ~ The RH in m. 1-16 get really low in the Treble clef. I'm seeing 4 or 5 ledger lines below the staff sometimes. Play around with cross-staving and/or clef changes to remedy this.
I stink at/don't know how to properly do cross stave notation. Using an 8vb just looks weird, and you still end up with 4 ledger lines up top. And using a bass clef definitely doesn't work.

In other news, Debeste song ever was finally fixed.

Bespinben

Quote from: Maelstrom on June 24, 2015, 09:13:25 AMFixed.I stink at/don't know how to properly do cross stave notation. Using an 8vb just looks weird, and you still end up with 4 ledger lines up top. And using a bass clef definitely doesn't work.

Just look at manuscripts! I've never had a class or formal instruction. Imitation is the backbone of pedagogy. Here's a cross-staff example I had in mind that could remedy your situation (Urtext edition of Erik Satie's "Gymnopédie" No. 1):

See how the LH plays both the long bass and the 3-note chords? The engraver could have just written the chords all in the bass clef, but that would result in lots of ledger lines. Instead, they chose to move the upper two tones into the treble clef.
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Maelstrom

In the meantime, have another new arrangement.
Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem
Legend of the Divine Dragon (A)
[PDF] [.mus] [midi] [Original]

I've also added a poll for my next major song. I'd love some input from my fans the NSM community.

If there's a song you want from a game I love, just PM me or post it in the thread.

I would also like to add that two massive songs I left half finished months ago are going to be completed in the meantime.
You are in for a treat.

Maelstrom

Again, due to unforseen circumstances, my arrangement is a little late.
The poll will be up for another week to allow for more votes.
EarthBound
Hi Hi Hi (Saturn Valley)

The big project I was finishing up will be up next week.

Maelstrom

Apparently, I have ascended to the JDMEK5 level of skill where I no longer require feedback on any of my arrangements.
Looks like You Will Know Our Names won the poll by a bit. Hopefully, it'll be up next week.

Xenoblade Chronicles
The God-Slaying Sword

Thoughts on my arrangement
I'm not entirely satisfied with how this turned out. But I thought I'd finish it up and get it out there so I could get some feedback and improve what I couldn't
[close]

Nebbles

Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

Magic Mole

I know I'm not too experienced, but another pair of eyes always helps, so here's what I've got:
Hi Hi Hi
- m3-10(right hand): sounds like it should be an octave higher
- m3,5,7,etc(right hand): the 16th note B on the third beat sounds really short and staccato-like, not connected to the last beat. Adding a staccato doesn't really do anything to the playback, but I think it would be more than feasible for a human to do at that tempo (correct me if I'm wrong, I have a keyboard without weighted keys)
- m4,6,8(right hand): the G# on the third beat sounds like it should have some sort of articulation; I'm thinking that thing with the dot and the dash would fit well (excuse my lack of musical vocabulary)
- m12(left hand): I don't think that last 8th note should be there; the bassline sounds empty on that beat when I listen to the original
- m15(right hand): seems like there should be four 8th notes instead of just two. I think you could still get the full fade-to-nothing effect with four, you'd just have to play the first louder
- The only thing I'd do with this one would be to have the right hand melody during m3-20 played in octaves (don't think that's the right term for this). If you keep the same notes you already have and just fill in the exact same notes & rhythm raised an octave, I think it would sound better and more accurate. I hope you understand what I'm even trying to say ::)
That's all I've got for now after skimming these arrangements and listening to the originals. Normally I'd leave this to somebody else, but nobody seems to have left any criticism for these yet, so I figured I'd give it a shot. I hope this was helpful! :D

Maelstrom

Quote from: Magic Mole on July 14, 2015, 08:13:00 AMI know I'm not too experienced, but another pair of eyes always helps, so here's what I've got:
Hi Hi Hi
Hi Hi Hi
- m3-10(right hand): sounds like it should be an octave higher
- m3,5,7,etc(right hand): the 16th note B on the third beat sounds really short and staccato-like, not connected to the last beat. Adding a staccato doesn't really do anything to the playback, but I think it would be more than feasible for a human to do at that tempo (correct me if I'm wrong, I have a keyboard without weighted keys)
- m4,6,8(right hand): the G# on the third beat sounds like it should have some sort of articulation; I'm thinking that thing with the dot and the dash would fit well (excuse my lack of musical vocabulary)
- m12(left hand): I don't think that last 8th note should be there; the bassline sounds empty on that beat when I listen to the original
- m15(right hand): seems like there should be four 8th notes instead of just two. I think you could still get the full fade-to-nothing effect with four, you'd just have to play the first louder
[close]
- The only thing I'd do with this one would be to have the right hand melody during m3-20 played in octaves (don't think that's the right term for this). If you keep the same notes you already have and just fill in the exact same notes & rhythm raised an octave, I think it would sound better and more accurate. I hope you understand what I'm even trying to say ::)
That's all I've got for now after skimming these arrangements and listening to the originals. Normally I'd leave this to somebody else, but nobody seems to have left any criticism for these yet, so I figured I'd give it a shot. I hope this was helpful! :D
I'll get to those Hi Hi Hi fixes pretty soon. As for Legend of the Divine Dragon (A), it has already been accepted.  :P

Maelstrom

It's been a busy week, so here's a little arrangement while I keep working on You Will Know Our Names.
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Tell the Truth 2001

Maelstrom

As some of you may have noticed, I will no longer be doing weekly arrangements. Instead, I will spend the same time arranging, but instead, I will focus on larger pieces. Yes, You Will Know Our Names is still a thing, but I wanted to do this first:

Xenoblade Chronicles
Agniratha, Imperial Capital / Night

And I promise I'll get to the feedback people have given me in this thread.

Maelstrom

I can't belive I finally finished it. I have put sooooo much time into this, and I hope it shows.

You Will Know Our Names

As strange as the RH sounds at the end, it's actually correct.

Nebbles

Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

Jompa

There are mistakes and harmonies missing, and things that could be done better arranging-wise, and I will help you with all of that! Just give me untill tomorrow! I'll make an edited version to show you what you should do.
Birdo for Smash

Maelstrom