Arrangement Contest No. 5 - Brainstorming Topic

Started by MaestroUGC, October 28, 2014, 06:14:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CLBGM

Make a tune sound like baroque period music...

FireArrow

Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

SlowPokemon

You know, disregard any comments I've made about this contest. I don't think I'll be participating regardless of the theme.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Sebastian

My idea is completely ignored and goes out the window faster than a tachyon beam....

Olimar12345

What idea?

So far I like the theme and variations, march, and baroque themes as possibilities for the next one. Fugue would be so much fun, but it wouldn't be very beginner friendly (not to say it still can't be done).
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

FireArrow

With all of those ideas, we'd probably go over the specifics of the criteria right? I personally don't really know anything about what constitutes a theme and variations (I'm not in college yet, shhh.)

mikey

Quote from: FireArrow on November 01, 2014, 01:12:29 PMWith all of those ideas, we'd probably go over the specifics of the criteria right? I personally don't really know anything about what constitutes a theme and variations (I'm not in college yet, shhh.)
You have a theme right
then you have a few variations
unmotivated

FireArrow

MaestroUGC

Basically you present something as it was originally written, then you alter and change it in different ways and forms. Look up some variations if you get a chance to get a better idea, Haydn's Symphony no. 92, second mvt; Beethoven's Diabelli Variations, Bach's Golberg Variations, Liszt wrote a few as well, most notably Totentanz. Handel's Air and Variations from his Harpsichord suite in E, often called "The Harmonious Blacksmith".

Rachmaninoff's Rhapsody on a Theme by Paganini (Paganini's original work being the source for numerous variations), is a shining example of the style, in my opinion.

Basically there are no limits to what you can do with something like this.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

mikey

What about twinkle twinkle little star isn't that theme and variation
er Mozart's 5th or somethingth
unmotivated

FireArrow

Quote from: MaestroUGC on November 01, 2014, 01:28:07 PMBasically you present something as it was originally written, then you alter and change it in different ways and forms. Look up some variations if you get a chance to get a better idea, Haydn's Symphony no. 92, second mvt; Beethoven's Diabelli Variations, Bach's Golberg Variations, Liszt wrote a few as well, most notably Totentanz. Handel's Air and Variations from his Harpsichord suite in E, often called "The Harmonious Blacksmith".

Rachmaninoff's Rhapsody on a Theme by Paganini (Paganini's original work being the source for numerous variations), is a shining example of the style, in my opinion.

Basically there are no limits to what you can do with something like this.

Thanks, I'll look those up, and the last sentence was mostly what I was wondering. Things like baroque suites and sonatas are relatively strict, so I was wondering if the word "variations" had certain requirements.

MaestroUGC

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on November 01, 2014, 01:31:15 PMWhat about twinkle twinkle little star isn't that theme and variation
er Mozart's 5th or somethingth
You're thinking of "Variations on 'Ah Vous Dirai-Je Maman'", which is twelve variations on what we call "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star", which is a standalone piece for piano.

SlowPokemon

Quote from: FireArrow on November 01, 2014, 01:12:29 PMWith all of those ideas, we'd probably go over the specifics of the criteria right? I personally don't really know anything about what constitutes a theme and variations (I'm not in college yet, shhh.)

Listen to the entirety of the soundtrack for Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins. The core soundtrack is essentially a set of variations on a theme, with "Athletic Theme" serving as the basis for most of the tracks.

MaestroUGC

Actually a lot of the Mario games (more so in the 2D side scrollers) simply rework a single theme into variations for different levels.

SlowPokemon

Yeah, but none so much as that one. None of the others have more than one or two variations on a main theme. Another good example would be Super Mario 64, which in addition to the main theme also has the variations in the form of the snow mountain and slide pieces.