[NDS] Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies - "Painful Feelings" by The Deku Trombonist

Started by Zeta, October 29, 2014, 04:02:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Dragon Quest
Game: Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies
Console: Nintendo DS
Title: Painful Feelings
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: The Deku Trombonist

[attachment deleted by admin]

Bespinben

Such a good sheet. Shame it was on the very back-end of the submissions.

*Measure 4 - In the first 2 beats, I think the LH should be spelled with C natural and Eb instead of B# and D#. It would make sense in the context of the chromatically descending lament bass, and with the melody note being a B, it would portray the mM7 quality of the chord better. I do agree with your usage of E#dim7 in beats 3-4, since that leads into the F# major of the next measure, so perhaps that why you spelled the previous beats the way you did, to keep it consistent with all sharps?
*Measure 12 - Imagining for a moment this was in the relative major of A, this line here looks to me like a Neapolitan Bb, leading me to believe it should be spelled with F natural, C natural, and Bb instead of E#, B#, and A#. Unfortunately, the very next measure uses a stepwise motion of E# to F#, throwing my "temporary relative major neopolitan" view out the window. Unless, of course, you don't mind reading F natural in one measure than E# in the next. Your spelling lends well to anticipating m.15 also. Take this for what it's worth :P.
*Measure 18 - That A# and E grates me. But, then again, the 5 notes don't exactly form your normal scale either. If you go my route in m. 12, it would be consistent to change the spelling of B# and A# to C and Bb. But then there's m. 15 again... grr... so ambiguous.

Arrangement wise though, you have my thumbs-up. I'm probably mistaken about the above anyway ^.^
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

The Deku Trombonist

Yay, feedback!

As you probably guessed, this was an enharmonic spelling nightmare.

Measure 4 - Yep, definitely agree.

Measure 12 - I figured 12-14 was basically extending the dominant with some tasty embellishing. With that in mind the D is a suspension leading in to 13 and the last two notes are just unconventional decoration from the major scale. While I'm on it, I think the C natural would be better as a B# for voice leading in bar 14 so I might change that.

Measure 18 - I was thinking along similar lines to 12 but melodic minor now.

Now I'm starting to think a B# would be better for the last bar too, for voice leading again.

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Bespinben.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot