Arrangement Contest No. 5 in E-sharp "Variable Mix"

Started by MaestroUGC, December 21, 2014, 05:07:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

So many variations, but only one will stand supreme!

them
1 (8.3%)
Olimar12345
4 (33.3%)
Bloop
3 (25%)
FierceDiety
4 (33.3%)
Clanker37
0 (0%)
FireArrow
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: February 01, 2015, 03:52:33 PM

dahans

I have sent the message. I am really looking forward to writing variations.
Check out my arrangements! I mean it! Check them out!

MaestroUGC

Just 13 hours left to sign up/send in your piece of choice before the cut-off time.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

Olimar12345

Here are some good model pieces to study if you need them:

Paganini - 24 Caprices Op.1 No.24
Spoiler
[close]

Mozart - Violin Sonata No. 25 in F major (II)
Spoiler

(Starts at 5:53 if the video doesn't auto-start there.
[close]

Edward Elgar - Enigma Variations
Spoiler
[close]
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

MaestroUGC

Contest will be set to begin 9:00pm CST tomorrow, at which point I''' post the exact requirements for this contest.

And just remember, you're all wonderful and talented.

Just not as much as me.

FireArrow

You are 34 minutes late. I am disappointed maestro, I excepted more from our perfect host.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

MaestroUGC

MaestroUGC

Theme and Variations:
 - You must present the original theme, unchanged and unaltered, before any of the variations.
 - You must have a minimum of 5 variations. Anything less will result in a score of "0".
 - You may not have more than 12 variations. Really anything more than 10 would probably be considered excessive (I would know), so anything more than 12 will result in a reduced score.
 - At least one variation must have a mode change from Major/Minor (depending on your piece's original key/mode) to the opposite. Major>Minor or Minor>Major.
 - At least one variation must be a significant meter change from the original, it cannot be a simple change in the pulse. For ex: 4/4>3/4; not 3/4>6/8. 2/4>6/8; not 2/2>4/4. If you have a question about this please ask me.

Also a couple of formatting things:
 - Please number your variations; it will help us keep track of each of them and allow us to comment on them better.
 - Please define the ends of the variations and transition sections with double bar lines, for the above reason.
 - I will update the grading rubric to reflect these additional formatting requirements.

A few reminders as well:
 - Please send your entries to me via PM, I will forward them to the other judges.
 - All you need to send me is an MUS file. Any supplemental materials (PDF, Audio file, Program, etc.) are appreciated but unnecessary.

And Begin!

Don't hesitate to ask for clarification or any other questions if you need it.

CLBGM

Here are my questions!

Quote from: MaestroUGC on December 28, 2014, 08:03:59 PM- You must present the original theme, unchanged and unaltered, before any of the variations.
Does this means that I must transcribe the piece with the same instrumentation (mine's 8-bit lol)?

Quote from: MaestroUGC on December 28, 2014, 08:03:59 PM- You must have a minimum of 5 variations. Anything less will result in a score of "0".
Can I change the style/genre (e.g. waltz, fugue, salsa, etc), harmonies and/or distribution of the motifs? or should it be classical-like variations? Example:
and the ones which Olimar posted...

3. Can I use VSTs and give u the MUS just for notation/reading purpose?

MaestroUGC

1. No. You just must present the original music (notes, pitches, rhythms) faithfully before setting variations.

2. Go wild.

3. All you need to give me is a functioning MUS files. Anything else is supplemental.

CLBGM

Quote from: MaestroUGC on December 28, 2014, 08:52:42 PM1. No. You just must present the original music (notes, pitches, rhythms) faithfully before setting variations.

2. Go wild.

3. All you need to give me is a functioning MUS files. Anything else is supplemental.

1. So no transcription? Just a link, e.g. a YT link? Or a transcription with all the right notes for, let's say, piano solo?

2. k

3. k

MaestroUGC

1. Yes you need to transcribe it, how you choose to do so is up to you.

FireArrow

Quote from: MaestroUGC on December 28, 2014, 08:03:59 PMTheme and Variations:
 - You must present the original theme, unchanged and unaltered, before any of the variations.

Does the original theme have to be the entire song or can it only be the A section?

MaestroUGC

FireArrow

Quote from: MaestroUGC on December 28, 2014, 10:01:53 PMIt has to be whatever you are varying.

Well like, could I do the first 30-60 seconds of the piece or something? Because if not, I'd like to request to change my piece. There's no way I can finish this in time if I have to both transcribe the entire thing and make variations (sry but I'm a slow ass transcriber.)

MaestroUGC

As long as you transcribe what you intend to vary (meaning if you chose to only use an A section) then it is acceptable.